General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you add oil to seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 PM
BBQsauce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you add oil to seats?

New to leather care and have cleaned my bags and my seats with saddle soap and they are currently drying. I have done some search's and now I am a little apprehensive about the leather dressing (since it has petroleum--but will prob use anyway currently).

Well my question is; do I add the leather dressing to my seats as well? I am assuming you do, but since it's cold outside I dont have the optionof letting it sit in the sun and soak in like I have read in some posts.

Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you add oil to seats?

I don't use saddle soap on my bags or seat. I've been using Meguire's classic gold leather dressing for the last 5 years. It works fine and protects the leather very well. I usually dress the leather once every other month. Yes, I do my seat also. The seat is vinyl, I know, but applying the dressing to the seat and stitching has made it very water repellent. Now I don't have a wet butt for two days after I wash the bike. It works for me, I hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 AM
BBQsauce
4th Gear

ohh and it's the HD leather dressing if that makes a difference

Old 10-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Paul.C.
Road Captain

So are Harley seats leather or vinyl ?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You have to take care of all leather,and it will soak in without the sun.My choice is Griots garage.on all my leather.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mink oil is all I've ever used, works great preserving and protecting the leather from the sun and water. But first you should clean the seatusing a liquid glycerin-based leather cleaner. Look at my sig pic, see how shinny the seat looks!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 AM
BBQsauce
4th Gear

so whats the best way to apply it?

I was going to apply by hand. Not to liberally, but enough to where it was 100% covered. After a few hours I was going to take a towel to it to take off any excess.

Does that sound good?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

I just stop in at a local BBQ resturant and order me a brisket sandwich and smother it with mesquite BBQ SAUSE and eat it while riding my bike and when I get done I just smear the sause all over the seat

you belive that right ?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Paul.C.

So are Harley seats leather or vinyl ?
Some are and some are not. So far from what i can tell the seats that are leather will say that, and have tags indicating it. Like I bought a H-D leather badlander seat for my SE-Deuce, and it came with tags saying it was genuine leather, and another tag giving instructions on how to care for it....along with a small container of leather dressing. Now the seat on my 08' SG, I think is vinyl......but it mat have a leather insert right in the center.....I am not 100% sure. I also have another H-D seat for my SE-Deuce that I bought used and I think its 100% leather.....its a Custom low profile style.

Also usually when the seat (or any item they sell thats leather) is leather the description in the MOCO catalog will have this note.

*Note: These Harley-Davidson® seats are made of leather. Fine leathers or other natural materials WILL gain “character”, such as wrinkles or wear, with age. This is normal. A fine, aged patina and character wrinkles are a sign of the extremely high quality materials used to construct your seat or backrest. The appearance of scars or marks on the leather are a result of using natural leather panels and should not be thought of as an imperfection. Please use Harley-Davidson® Leather Dressing P/N 98261-91V to protect your investment.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh brisket sounds good. No really, Mink Oil works great. Just apply a small amount with a rag and rub it in.

Quick Reply: Do you add oil to seats?