General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians getting screwed again

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Hydraboss
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canadians getting screwed again

So with all this BS about the Canadian dollar being higher than the US, thought I would look into getting Mrs. Boss her bike a little early. Was looking at an '08 FXDL at an Alberta dealer. MSRP $20,099 +taxes. US MSRP $14,999 +taxes. Dealer says the prices will not change just because of the exchange.

WTF???

Salesman says, "Well ya, you could buy it in the States, but there would be no warranty." I said, "Are you for real?" Salesman says, "All the Trev Deeley HD dealers got together in eastern canada this summer and agreed that we wouldn't honor warranty on any bike bought from a black market dealer (House of Thunder in Camrose) and won't let any bikes purchased there in our shops." I said, "So that means you won't fix any bikes that were bought in America, even if they were bought by an American, and that American is up here on vacation?" Salesman says, "Uhmmm....uh....ya."

There has got to be something in the laws of these two countries that says they're not allowed to do that. Anyone know?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 PM
walc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Canadians getting screwed again

What hosers!!!
[:@]

Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Man I don't know this whole currency thing is a major PITA. I have Canadian Customers insiting they should get the US price. US banks won't take Canadian checks at the moment. It still costs me more to ship to Canada than a US address. Ugh!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Hydraboss
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of business are you in? If you're sitting with a bunch of stock that you bought at the old exchange rate (as a Canadian store) then fine. But if I order something from you, and THEN you place the order and pay in US dollars, why should I pay 25% more when my dollar is worth $1.03 US?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Twolf
Road Master

Salesman says, "Well ya, you could buy it in the States, but there would be no warranty." I said, "Are you for real?" Salesman says, "All the Trev Deeley HD dealers got together in eastern canada this summer and agreed that we wouldn't honor warranty on any bike bought from a black market dealer (House of Thunder in Camrose) and won't let any bikes purchased there in our shops." I said, "So that means you won't fix any bikes that were bought in America, even if they were bought by an American, and that American is up here on vacation?" Salesman says, "Uhmmm....uh....ya."

There has got to be something in the laws of these two countries that says they're not allowed to do that. Anyone know?
That is BS. They have to honor the warranty no matter where ya are. Of course, in typical "stealer" mentality, they will try ta weasel their way outta
almost everythin'. Bottom line, read yer warranty, NO exceptions as to geographical location.

Report 'em ta HD, but I doubt y'all will get any response. I figure ta fix my bike up the way I want thru indy shops, then ride it fer 100K miles or a lot more...

Then I'll rebuild it and ride some more!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Drexor69
Tourer

I call BS.

Why would the dealer care where you bought your bike? As long as it's still under warranty the MoCo pays them for the labor and parts.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, it happens all the time, but I think you have to have an American address in order to purchase a HD down in the States. I don't think the warranty is the issue though.
Talk about gettin screwed. It is more expensive to purchase a product from Bombardier in Canada than in the States. Fruck,it's made in Canada. I guess Bombardier has told their distributors in the US, near the border, not to sell to Canadians. They say something about protecting Canadian jobs. So be it. Lower the frucken prices in Canada.
I love goin across the border. Cheap booze, cheap gas and cheaper bike parts. Hell, I might even hook up the dog team and take a run down when the snow hits.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Same with bikes as it is with cars it seems. The Canadian Government is not going to do anything to lower the prices anytime soon. There was a news piece on this very subject. I can't remember everything that was said but the jist of the article was.........

"Consumers don't seem to understand what's involved in the process. We HAVE lowered the prices already but we can't lower them too much too fast. This is just something the consumers are going to have to deal with."

or something to that effect.

I personally think the powers that be who decide the prices of goods in Canada can take a long hard lick on my little chocolate star !

Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 AM
turtlebug
Cruiser

I would send this issue up to HD corporation and let them know what the canadian dealers are doing....HD don't like loosing $$$$$

Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM
hdcruzer2008
Novice

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m getting screwed royally on my new bike purchase (the Canadian dollar is up to $1.04 this morning). However, Deeley will not see a dime of my parts and accessory purchases. While I can’t find a US dealer willing to deal on a new bike, they will work hard to get my business on the parts. If Deeley doesn’t want to build a relationship with me by being fair with their bike pricing I won’t be building a relationship with them.

hdcruzer2008

Quick Reply: Canadians getting screwed again