General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians getting screwed again

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 08:55 PM
Hydraboss
|
Tourer
Default RE: Canadians getting screwed again

What the ***** happened to this thread????

I didn't mean to cause an international incident here, I just wanted to point out the dickwad working at a Deeley dealership. By the way, as of today, make that TWO dickwads working at TWO Deeley dealerships. Both said they would not allow bikes purchased at House of Thunder into their shops.

SOOOOOooooo.....I called HoT and asked them WTF was going on, and how much they wanted for the '08 FXDL. Quoted $17,000 +taxes CAN. Okay, two grand in markup but it costs them to drive to the States every two weeks or so and they have to pay to broker the machines. I can live with $17k. When I asked about warranty, they told me all new bikes come with a full HD factory warranty that MUST BE HONORED AT ALL NORTH AMERICAN HD DEALERSHIPS, Deeley or not. So I told the HoT guy what I had been told by the other two dealers. He wasn't surprised at all and said they aren't allowed to ignore the warranty or any other HD approved services, but they can sure as hell make you wait a month for an oilchange (too booked, you know). Apparently, most of HoT's customers have been told the same thing, especially by the Red Deer dealer. Scare tactic....and it seems to work.

As for all the replies that called "BS", if you were talking about the dealers responses....I agree.

If you were talking about my post...call them yourselves. Can I post the names and numbers of the dealerships? Terry???

Old 10-26-2007 | 09:18 PM
Old Salt
Intermediate

Where are you getting that quote from Hydraboss? HD Canada's website states $16,599 MSRP for a FXDL.

Old 10-26-2007 | 09:37 PM
Hydraboss
|
Tourer

US HD website: '08 FXDL, two-tone, no wheel option, $14,995 + taxes.
Canadian HD website: '08 FXDL, two-tone, no wheel option, $17,359 + taxes.
Red Deer Deeley dealer: '08 FXDL, two-tone, no wheel option, $20,999 + taxes.
HoT non-Deeley dealer: '08 FXDL, two-tone, no wheel option, $17,000 + taxes.

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:52 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain

Actually, Deeley has lowered their pricing three times already this year, because of the dollar, with the most recent being on October 15th by 5% across the board. They are one of the VERY few auto/bike dealers who have done this.

There's more to lowering the price of goods because of the dollar fluctation. If they matched the US MSRP think about what it would do to the used bike market in Canada. To the guy who is making payments on the bike he bought last year he'd be pretty pissed if his bike just depreciated a significant amount in one year because the price of a new bike has dropped by a few thousand dollars.

I bought my bike from the US a month ago and with the price of a new one dropping by $1K two weeks ago that means my bike just depreciated $1K just like that.

American HD dealers are not permitted to sell brand new bikes to Canadians. As far as the warranty comment goes, that's total BS. The warranty is transferrable to Canada free of charge. In fact, I'm having some warranty work done next week on the bike.

Old 10-27-2007 | 12:20 AM
Hydraboss
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

Actually, Deeley has lowered their pricing three times already this year, because of the dollar, with the most recent being on October 15th by 5% across the board. They are one of the VERY few auto/bike dealers who have done this. Really? Three times this year? So bikes have gone down 15%, eh? How do you explain them RAISING the price of mine by $400 between when I ordered it (Jan 07) and when I picked it up (May 07)?

There's more to lowering the price of goods because of the dollar fluctation. If they matched the US MSRP think about what it would do to the used bike market in Canada. To the guy who is making payments on the bike he bought last year he'd be pretty pissed if his bike just depreciated a significant amount in one year because the price of a new bike has dropped by a few thousand dollars. There's more to lowering price if they've already bought the stock. Canadian dealers, for the most part, don't have that much stock on the floor. When they order it, they pay in US dollars. That means that Deeley is fleecing Canadians for about 15%, and the dealer in Red Deer is getting us for 29%. Do you actually think they give a damn about what you or I think? As for the guy that bought last year (kinda like me), pissing customers off has never concerned Deeley before.

I bought my bike from the US a month ago and with the price of a new one dropping by $1K two weeks ago that means my bike just depreciated $1K just like that. So depreciation is relative in nature. Then if the MOCO raised the price of their bikes by $50,000 yours would be worth $50,000 more? Better hope they don't drop it any more.

American HD dealers are not permitted to sell brand new bikes to Canadians. As far as the warranty comment goes, that's total BS. The warranty is transferrable to Canada free of charge. In fact, I'm having some warranty work done next week on the bike. I figured it for total BS, but I also found it to be such a bold-faced lie that I had to share it here.

Old 10-27-2007 | 01:12 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Dark Knight is actually correct at least on two counts of the price being dropped.
The Canadian MSRP on the 08' bikes was lower than the 07' MSRP in July when they introduced the 08' bikes and has come down 5% in the last two weeks for sure. There may have been another drop that I'm unaware of.
A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him on his new 07' Street Glide as happened to you. Not sure of the exact numbers, but, his bike went up between when he ordered it in January and when it came in, in May.
The last posted price for an 07' Street Glide in black was $22,739.
The latest posted price on an 08' black Street Glide is $20,759. Two price drops or three, it really doesn't matter. You will get a bigger tank, hidden wiring on your handlebars and no throttle or idle cables, as well as IDS on the new bike and save at least $2,000 over the guys that bought an 07' in June or early July.

Old 10-27-2007 | 01:42 PM
d42s
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Hydraboss

So with all this BS about the Canadian dollar being higher than the US, thought I would look into getting Mrs. Boss her bike a little early. Was looking at an '08 FXDL at an Alberta dealer. MSRP $20,099 +taxes. US MSRP $14,999 +taxes. Dealer says the prices will not change just because of the exchange.

WTF???

Salesman says, "Well ya, you could buy it in the States, but there would be no warranty." I said, "Are you for real?" Salesman says, "All the Trev Deeley HD dealers got together in eastern canada this summer and agreed that we wouldn't honor warranty on any bike bought from a black market dealer (House of Thunder in Camrose) and won't let any bikes purchased there in our shops." I said, "So that means you won't fix any bikes that were bought in America, even if they were bought by an American, and that American is up here on vacation?" Salesman says, "Uhmmm....uh....ya."

There has got to be something in the laws of these two countries that says they're not allowed to do that. Anyone know?
I bought a Rental Used Rdking from a dealer in Seattle 2 hrs drive south in winter of 05. Back when the Can. $ was only .95 cents to US. I got a great deal. Would have been an even better deal now. Anyway I got a leak in Tranny seal in summer 06. Took it to Trev Deeley in Vancouver, no problem, covered on warranty. Even told service manager I imported bike, he didn't care. All they do is run serial number to see if it's still under warranty.
He was happy I was happy.
My warranty is finished now so it won't be an issue in the future if policy has changed out here.
But dealer shouldn't care where you bought bike.

Just my 2bits.

Old 10-27-2007 | 01:45 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

I don't know where you guys are getting this info from. A 2003 Road King Classic sold for $28,099 new, a 2008 model of the same bike will cost you $19,859 - a drop of $8,240 in 5 model yrs. Deeley's has dropped the price of Harleys every year since the end of the 2003 models, when the Canadian dollar started to take an up-swing. The down side to this, is if you bought an 03 or earlier model, your blue book value has dropped to nothing................but if you're buying another bike, you do make it up on the other end.

As for warranty, that's absolutely not true, any Harley warranty is honored in any country. We get U.S. bikes in our shop all the time, Harley pays us no matter where the bike was bought.

An FXDL will cost you $16,600 anywhere in the country, if the Alberta dealer is telling you it's over 20 grand, then buy it in Ontario or the Maritimes.......cuz he's full of ****

Old 10-27-2007 | 06:15 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

I thought the free trade agreement was suppose to do away with all that, not high import tax, etc.

Old 10-27-2007 | 08:12 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain

Here you go Hydraboss:

Harley-Davidson, for example , dropped its Canadian prices this week for the third time this year, this time by 5 per cent, to bring them more into line with American MSRPs.

http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/32296

Quick Reply: Canadians getting screwed again