General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians getting screwed again

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:20 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Canadians getting screwed again

I wonder about all this... Sounds fishy to me. As far as warranty goes ... does this mean if I buy a new bike and travel to the neighbouring country and break down, that the dealership that is doing my repairs won't do it under warranty? Am I understanding this right? I wonder.

If I had any dealership refuse to provide warranty parts or labour, because I didn't buy my bike (or any product for that matter) there I would be livid! That extra insurance is what you pay that extra $$$$ for...(not to mention extended warranties) and if you can't utilize it other than at your very own dealership, then what's the point of purchasing it at all. I can't be the only one who would refuse to buy it. They make a fortune on thatcoverage.Chances are, I willmore than likely have a break down on the road than at home.

I wonder if HD headquarters would have anything to say about this treatment. I am really curious to know. I know the guy that owns the dealership where we deal and he has said on many occasions that he could lose his dealership at anytime if he screwed up. They have a contract and if he doesn't follow it, he's out.

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:29 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

First line in the HD warranty:

The Harley-Davidson Limited Warranty (24 Months/Unlimited Mileage)
Harley-Davidson warrants to the first retail purchaser and authorized transferees of our new model motorcycles/sidecars that any authorized Harley-Davidson dealer will repair or replace without charge any parts (except tires, maintenance items and battery under certain conditions) found under normal use in the U.S.A. or Canada to be defective in factory materials or workmanship, and upon the following terms and conditions:

So, no need to move to the US to get service. Nothing against our friends to the North, but...... we have enough people already and what really scares me is if we get enough Canadians down here they will help Billary get the Canadian Healthcare system in the US. Sorry, drifting off topic.

I know with car dealers, a car bought in Canada doesn't have a warranty in the US because each country has its own business unit that is responsible for the cost of warranty repairs on the cars they make. However, Harley's warranty clearly states US or Canada so I don't see how the dealers could NOT honor it.

Even without a warranty, if you can save 6 grand by buying in the US you can have an indy do you repairs and be money ahead. Would take a lot of problems to eat of $6K.

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:35 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Been a year or so ago, but a friend of mine made a trip up to Alaska and had a warranty issue taken care of in Whitehorse without any problem or delay.

But then again, Whitehorse is in the Yukon Territory, so maybe the dealer there hasn't become as 'rude' as the dealers in Canada.

If I were in Canada, and one of the dealers wouldn't take care of a warranty issue, I'd let the bike just set there and tell HD to send me a check for the value of the bike..

I'd consider that a breach of contract, with them being in default.

Heck with them.. I wouldn't put up with that BS..

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:49 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

That's just freakin' wrong, eh.

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:50 AM
RexBuck
Road Master

That's kinda BS. The HD warranty says it is good and will be honored at any dealer in Canada and the US. The problem is they could get you on a technicality - ie: make any modification to a bike and you technically invalidate the warranty. Most dealers turn a blind eye to the normal mods and honor them anyway.

I do know the US dealers put their franchises in jeopardy if they are caught selling to Canadian residents - but some will sell to you if you have a US address. Hmm, I wonder if you could have a US resident buy it and then sell it to you? While some Canadian dealers may try to make it difficult for servicing of newUS bikes bought by Canadian residents, I suspect some will be happy to have the business. So, look for a new dealer.

We Canucks will normally suffer higher prices for Harleys, if for no other reason then Trev Deeley has the franchise for all of Canada. They get a markup for every bike, part, accessory and clothing sold in Canada. The problem we are currently facing is that when they set the MSRP on 08s last summer, our prices were 10% over US prices after considering exchange - I figure that was Deeley's markup. Now we are almost 20% higher . . . even after the recent 5% drop in MSRP - now I think Deeley is getting a little greedy.

If I can figure out a way to buy my new bike in the US, I will.

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:59 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Can't help but wonder about your general comment... Are you saying you thinkall Dealers are "rude" in Canada?

Traveling around both countries as much a I do ... I have formed my own opinion about where "rudeness" seems most prelivant.

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:14 AM
corgi
Road Master

"Canadians getting screwed again???". At least you can buy Cuban cigars!!!!! Anyways this is an issue for the MOCO to deal with. let them refuse service or go to a good Indy shop. With their $heety attitude go elsewhere for both product and service.

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:15 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Can't help but wonder about your general comment... Are you saying you thinkall Dealers are "rude" in Canada?

Traveling around both countries as much a I do ... I have formed my own opinion about where "rudeness" seems most prelivant.
I probably travel around Canada as much as anyone, as I have a lot of associates up there, andhave not hadany problem with Harley dealers, or any other business for what it's worth.

But then again, I've never gone to one of them for 'warranty work' either.

My "rude" comment is based on comments in this thread in which people living in Canada said that the dealers are 'forming some kind of agreement' in which they will not honor the warranties of bikes not purchased in Canada.

That goes against the terms of the standard warranty, and I consider that more than rude, as it's "BS"...

My opinion, and if you disagree that's your option.

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:26 AM
stillwater
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cormech

Thats it......everyone boycott Cananda now. All you Canadians need to move down here if you don't like the way your being treated up there.
No thanks! Deeley Canada sucks and I will not spend another dime there (except for required service), rather I'll either ride across the line to buy chrome, etc. or have it mailed up USPS and still save lots of cash. As for moving down there - - why?,... just to watch my sons and daughters die for the greed of a cocaine snortin' chimp - no fuggin' way!

Old 10-26-2007 | 11:29 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

I've never had a problem in Canada or the States with my extended warrenty. It is with a seperate company other than HD, and is mobile.

Next time I buy a new ride it will be in the States unless the prices equalize. I can ride to the border, stay in a nice hotel, and get the bike fixed many times for the current price difference.

Quick Reply: Canadians getting screwed again