General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I miss my old bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 PM
JCTulsa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I miss my old bike

I got back into motorcycles at age 55 with a used 2002 Low Rider with a 95 inch kit. SE pipes, carburetor, cold natured, sometimes an oil leak, hard to start--everything a Harley is supposed to be. I loved that bike but it was a pain to ride out on the highway. Great fun in town but a beast on the road.
So I traded for a geezer glide, an '05 Ultra. Beautiful bike. Lots of bells and whistles. VERY comfortable.
I miss my old bike. I miss not knowing if the thing would start when I stopped for gas. I miss hearing the starter clang trying to turn over those high comp pistons. I miss having to nurse the thing the first 2 or 3 miles until it would run right. I miss hearing potato, potato, potato when I stopped at a light (always kept the Mikuni thumb screw cranked down to about 750 rpm just to hear the lope). My riding pard owns a new V-rod. We stopped at a local joint in town and an older gent came up looking at our bikes as we were leaving. He was impressed with the V-rod and I was putting my helmet and gloves on listening to him go on about how good that V-rod looked. We both cranked up and he pulled out first. The guy came over to mine and said "but yours sounds so much better". Wow, what a boost!
Anyway, I just wanted to vent a bit. I'll put true duals on the glide so the bike will sound a little more like a Harley is supposed to sound. And I'll be happy cruising down the slab on my bike with the cruise set and lean back against the backrest. But, I don't think I'll stop thinking about how loud and sweet that old piece of junk sounded and felt.

JC

Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: I miss my old bike

I went from a Low Rider to an Ultra to an FXSTC. No matter how comfortable, how musical, or how reliable the Ultra was, I could nevr stop feeling like I was just not on a real Harley. I have ridden all over the west and south of this country on all three of them with no problems. I guess it is just whatever lights your fire.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 465 Likes on 275 Posts

Miss my old Brit Bikes??? Nope...

Miss my Sporty??? Yep...elemental, rough, reliable, fast, felt wore out at the end of the day...much like sex used to be when I was younger, too. Now it's predictable and comfortable and the ole ticker don't race much...comfort just ain't too exciting...I'm talking about my 103 inch FXDXT. Only 53 now, so probably change as I get older, too.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/BBF30361EB6C4FEA8A56C68464C7D884.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/60CEC4DA1A7D470385BCEA97DCE03B2E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I miss my Wide Glide. Wife wouldn't ride it which was ok. She asks to ride the Ultra all the time, which means more rides for me. It scrapes on the slightest cornering, and is real top heavy. Smooth as smooth can be though. These V&H's don't sound like a Harley to me though.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Sec Super Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 75 FXE what an animal plugs could foul points could melt , If I could buy another one I would . I now will go and dig up a picture thanks .

Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Thorns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC, I went with the Road King. I too had a Low Rider, but with the windshield off, and a solo seat, it is better than the Low Rider.

Thorns

Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

I miss my Iron head1000a little....fun bike, quick, withfreightening brakes.....Should have kept it around for local riding...... But I am not dis-liking the new stuff. My buddys 82 springer is a real un-refinedHarley..Like riding his alot! Problem is I like them all!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:48 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too miss an old bike; my early 84 Ironhead. I loved that bike and never should have gotten rid of her. Now I've been looking at Street Glides..uh oh.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled into a restaurant with my 89 flhs beside a winger dressed out. An older gentleman was standing admiring the wing with his grandson. The old man asked the kid if he would like to have a bike like that. He said no and turned to mine and said I want one like that one.In times like that it makes you feel good.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I had fxstc ( evo) that fit me like a glove. I rode it all daywith no problem. I thougt my daughter would fall in love with riding like me soI bought a newer biggerbike,-Twincam Heritage-windshield, backrest,big back seat for her. I had some great geography lessons planned of the western US and still have hope, but for her,now, riding isjust ok.I like my present ride, butI really miss my old softail custom.

Quick Reply: I miss my old bike