General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I miss my old bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I miss my old bike

ORIGINAL: JCTulsa

I got back into motorcycles at age 55 with a used 2002 Low Rider with a 95 inch kit. SE pipes, carburetor, cold natured, sometimes an oil leak, hard to start--everything a Harley is supposed to be. I loved that bike but it was a pain to ride out on the highway. Great fun in town but a beast on the road.
So I traded for a geezer glide, an '05 Ultra. Beautiful bike. Lots of bells and whistles. VERY comfortable.
I miss my old bike. I miss not knowing if the thing would start when I stopped for gas. I miss hearing the starter clang trying to turn over those high comp pistons. I miss having to nurse the thing the first 2 or 3 miles until it would run right. I miss hearing potato, potato, potato when I stopped at a light (always kept the Mikuni thumb screw cranked down to about 750 rpm just to hear the lope). My riding pard owns a new V-rod. We stopped at a local joint in town and an older gent came up looking at our bikes as we were leaving. He was impressed with the V-rod and I was putting my helmet and gloves on listening to him go on about how good that V-rod looked. We both cranked up and he pulled out first. The guy came over to mine and said "but yours sounds so much better". Wow, what a boost!
Anyway, I just wanted to vent a bit. I'll put true duals on the glide so the bike will sound a little more like a Harley is supposed to sound. And I'll be happy cruising down the slab on my bike with the cruise set and lean back against the backrest. But, I don't think I'll stop thinking about how loud and sweet that old piece of junk sounded and felt.

JC
JCTulsa

“I got back into motorcycles at age 55 with a used 2002 Low Rider with a 95 inch kit. SE pipes, carburetor, cold natured, sometimes an oil leak, hard to start--everything a Harley is supposed to be. I loved that bike but it was a pain to ride out on the highway. Great fun in town but a beast on the road.”

Didn’t you change out the starter to an higher output when it went up to 96 inch ? “hard to start--everything a Harley is supposed to be “ no hard starting is not what a hd is supposed yo be” ! a pain to ride on the hi-way? A beast on the road ? a low rider ?

JCTulsa

“I miss my old bike. I miss not knowing if the thing would start when I stopped for gas. I miss hearing the starter clang trying to turn over those high comp pistons. I miss having to nurse the thing the first 2 or 3 miles until it would run right. I miss hearing potato, potato, potato when I stopped at a light (always kept the Mikuni thumb screw cranked down to about 750 rpm just to hear the lope).”

Starter again, not knowing if it would “start again” ? wouldn’t run right first 2 or 3 miles ? dude haven’t you got a good wrench in your area ?

You never did hear “potato, potato, potato” nobody that doesn’t have a shovelhead hears “potato, potato, potato” the last one in production in 1984, that sounded like that, no evo ever sounded like that, unless you “maybe” poured thousands of bucks into it and then it’s just a maybe coming close.

[color=#0000cc]You actually

Old 10-27-2007, 09:29 AM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

I miss my FXR. I love my bike but I miss the Lowrider for cruising around. My friend has it now. Wish I had the cash I'd buy it back and put some apes on it.

I need to win the lottery. [&o]

Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM
JCTulsa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cj_slowdown, ya don't have a clue about theintent of that post, do ya? Thanks for pickin it apart anyway. Knew there'd be at least one of ya to do it.

JC

Old 10-27-2007, 09:53 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I to miss my old bike sometimes. After buying the new 08' FLHX a few weeks ago, my old bike 03" SE Deuce has been left alone at home quite often, but when I do start to miss her too much, I just park the SG and go for a ride on the Hot-Rod. The two bikes are so different.......its almost like the only two things they have in common is that they are both H-D's, and both are mine. Other than that.....they as diferent as night and day.....and I like it that way. I dont think I will be sending the Screaming Eagle Deuce down the road any time soon. I aint sure exactly ow many the MOCO made of the 03' anniversary w/the real gold graphics and centennial paint.....the gold and vivid black look better and better every day. I know this Deuce is still worth almost as much as I paid for a brand new FLHX......it WILL NOT be going anywhere.....without me that is!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JCTulsa

cj_slowdown, ya don't have a clue about theintent of that post, do ya? Thanks for pickin it apart anyway. Knew there'd be at least one of ya to do it.

JC
"JC"
“ya don't have a clue about the intent of that post, do ya? Thanks for pickin it apart anyway. Knew there'd be at least one of ya to do it.”

It’s a shame you don’t realize my intent of that post, it’s a shame you think I pick it apart, I know they are some very sensitive riders on this forum, in no way did I pick it apart IMO, if you want I’ll try to show you, what you think you saw, ok ?

JCTulsa
“I got back into motorcycles at age 55 with a used 2002 Low Rider with a 95 inch kit. SE pipes, carburetor, cold natured, sometimes an oil leak, hard to start--everything a Harley is supposed to be”

Since you got back in motorcycles, I must assume you really had a dead beat hd on your hands back in the day ? in 2002 no harley should be “hard to start” and it sure isn’t “everything a Harley is supposed to be” in 2002 or even and EVO hd made (which IMO is the best long lasting motor hd ever made) welcome back into the fold, but please get up to date.

JCTulsa
“ I loved that bike but it was a pain to ride out on the highway. Great fun in town but a beast on the road.”

Since I’ve been riding a low rider for the last 20 some years, how is it “pain to ride out on the highway” and it’s a “beast on the road.” ? please explain this to me, since I never heard anyone say this about a LR ? unless you mean the hp as a beast on the road ?

JCTulsa
“So I traded for a geezer glide, an '05 Ultra. Beautiful bike. Lots of bells and whistles. VERY comfortable.

Ultra is a nice ride, lets hope you find a good wrench to keep it that way.

JCTulsa
“I miss my old bike. I miss not knowing if the thing would start when I stopped for gas. I miss hearing the starter clang trying to turn over those high comp pistons.”

“Not knowing would it start when stopped for gas” ?

Since the guy you brought this LR from (Im assuming didn’t upgrade the starter) how come you didn’t ? you know you brought a 96 incher and got higher compression pistons ! did you ever think of testing the AMP draw on the starting circuit ? doing a voltage drop test on the same circuit ? if you can’t do it yourself what about finding someone who could do it ? at least testing the battery load ?

JCTulsa
“ I miss having to nurse the thing the first 2 or 3 miles until it would run right”

When it’s cold ? or anytime when it’s ridden ? maybe the carb jetting, but most likely anything else ? didn’t you ever think of having a mechanic look into this ?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when I miss mine,,, I just swing a leg over the ol girl and fire her up

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

when I miss mine,,, I just swing a leg over the ol girl and fire her up

What better answer, can you get, to that question !!!! : - )))))

cj

Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM
JCTulsa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cj, do you always take things so literally? No, the bike wasn't a piece of junk. No, it didn't have rust all over it. Yes, it had a lot of chrome and the paint job sparkled. No, the engine didn't run like a piece of crap. No, the bike didn't need different carb jets, or a tuneup or anything else like that. There are a lot of good wrenches in this area. But I wrench my own. I wrenched my own airplanes when I owned them and lots of others from a 65hp taildragger to twin engine corporate jets so I think I've got a fair grip on the workings of engines.
If my bike was damaged because I kept the idle rpm below 1,000 so what. That's the way I wanted it.
The 2 or 3 mile thing didn't mean it coughed, sputtered, spitted and backfired all that time. It meant it didn't idle as smooth and hesitated on throttle roll-on until it got some heat in the engine. Different from the 05 UC with fuel injection. Get it?
Man, you miss-read the intentions of my post completely. All I was saying was that I'm getting used to a new bike and I knew the other one from riding it for 2 years. Like I know my wife of 17 years. I could point out the things that she does that drives me crazy. Would that mean she's not the most important thing in my life? No.
And for the Low Rider being a beast on the highway what I meant was that it had short bars and forward controls. I'm 5'8" and that wasn't a good fit for me. Low Riders are great. I'd take another one in a heartbeat. I would change out the bars for something with more reach but I would love another one.
That was the point of my initial post. The bike had some things I'd change if I'd kept it but I didn't. But all in all I still miss the good things about it. K?
I'm not tryin to start a flame war with ya, I just think you mistook what I tried to say in my first post. So lighten up a bit and try to see what someone might have meant instead of what you interpreted. k?
You be safe also brother.
JC

Old 10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cj_slowdown - [sm=WTFsgign.gif]are you tryin to accomplish w/your responses? [:'(]

Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
IA DPE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first bike was a KZ1000. It would GO, but would put your feet to sleep on the highway with the hi freq vibs. Second was a Yamaha 650 Special. I'd always had a soft spot for British bikes, just didn't like the Lucas Electrics. Unfortunately, the Yamaha was no better, and my son was growing up, so we sold it in 1993.

Before ANY of these bikes though, I'd wanted a new Evo FXRS. I think it was probably an 85 as it would've been belt drive. Having a family and getting an education got in the way until this August. I bought an 86 FXRS on eBay, and we are having a BLAST. I was a little afraid my wife wouldn't like riding anymore, and certainly not a "sport bike" but even she's getting into this. I still like the 650 Specials, but I'm totally in love with my FX. Like many have said on this thread, IF I ever get another bike, I'll probably keep the Low Rider. I waited 22 years for this, and am not inclined to give it up now.

Quick Reply: I miss my old bike