General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With all the talk about pipes.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 PM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With all the talk about pipes.......

So I was just thinking.....with more and more cities enforcing noise ordinances by citing motorcycles for loud pipes, loud stereos, loud parties, etc., they're trying to get society to pipe down (pun intended). So, at some point when will someone challenge it to the highest level and point out that airports that open up or allow inceasingly larger aircraft are the worst offenders? Certainly the garbage trucks could be made quieter, prohibit use of sirens except when getting a vehicle to move or at an intersection, etc, etc, etc. The more I think about this the more it gets under my skin because the volume AT the bike (which is where they measure it) shouldn't be the standard. I'd love to see someone challenge it in court and come in with a Db measurement showing that it's nomoreharmful at 5-10 ft as the neighbor's circular saw or air compressor. These aren't facts, just examples.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
VtBlackDog
Cruiser
Default RE: With all the talk about pipes.......

no more babies......
my seven week old little girl is louder than any harley!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The only time the cops will make an issue over your pipes are when you act like an idiot.

otherwise they will leave you alone.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

So I was just thinking.....with more and more cities enforcing noise ordinances by citing motorcycles for loud pipes, loud stereos, loud parties, etc., they're trying to get society to pipe down (pun intended). So, at some point when will someone challenge it to the highest level and point out that airports that open up or allow inceasingly larger aircraft are the worst offenders? Certainly the garbage trucks could be made quieter, prohibit use of sirens except when getting a vehicle to move or at an intersection, etc, etc, etc. The more I think about this the more it gets under my skin because the volume AT the bike (which is where they measure it) shouldn't be the standard. I'd love to see someone challenge it in court and come in with a Db measurement showing that it's nomoreharmful at 5-10 ft as the neighbor's circular saw or air compressor. These aren't facts, just examples.
These all may or may not be valid points, but does it solve the problem?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

I'm so sick of "pipe" threads, I think I'll just take mine off![sm=headbang.gif]

Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Pipes, cigars, cigarettes, who cares? It's all about personal preference and freedom of choice. In Texas, freedom of choice usually means flour or corn tortillas with your meal.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

There are too many people to control.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 852 Likes on 295 Posts

Yah sure there is alot of loud pipe threads but your exactly on the money and have the right ideas! Its alot of BS and you can see it perfectly in your wellthought out examples! Now go drink a beer.....

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Twolf
Road Master

Nuthin' more ta add. TY, Donnylee!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 AM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not really fond of pipes at all, nor cigars. I like cigarettes.

Quick Reply: With all the talk about pipes.......