General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deals Gap ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM
njroadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deals Gap ??

Can anyone tell me where Deals gap is located. Ive heard so much about it. but not its location. If you rode it any comments ??

Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Deals Gap ??

Deals gap is located on US129, just south of Marysville Tenn. and North of Robbinsville North Carolina. Marysville is a tad south of Knoxville.

Here is a link to thier web site.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

its a great ride, and while there, make sure you ride the Cherahola Parkway, as well as Foothills Parkway. you won't be disapointed.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
njroadking
Cruiser

Thank you for the info. Thats close enough for me to check out. Most likely in the spring.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

See if this link will help you.
Robbinsville to Maryville

Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Fishrdr
Cruiser

Go to killboy.com for some great shots of bikes on the dragon.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 AM
surv1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deals Gap is on the Tennessee/North Carolina line on US129...about 20 miles north of Robbinsville, NC. 318 curves in 11 miles. Just got back from there on Tuesday, after spending 5 days up there. Had a blast....you will too. Well worth the trip.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
DynaDave1450
Advanced

one great place to stay at Fontana Dam Resort very nice place

Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: njroadking

Can anyone tell me where Deals gap is located. Ive heard so much about it. but not its location. If you rode it any comments ??
I've ridden it a couple times. Coming from Utah I'm used to some pretty good mountain roads, so I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as some of the roads we have around here. But to be honest, it was a very fun ride. Part of it may have been because of the popularity of the road and the other part because it's just a great road with lots of twisties.

Both times I've ridden it I've stayed at the Two Wheel Inn just outside of Robbinsville, NC (US 129). I like the Two Wheel Inn because they have indoor parking for your bike. It's not a 4 Star hotel, but it is reasonably priced, clean, and the beds are fairly comfortable. You park your bike in a little garage right next to your room.

http://www.twowheelinn.com/

I have also made it a point to ride over to the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, NC.

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

The museum is 30 miles west of Asheville, NC. The museum is a GREAT place to spend an afternoon. Both times I've been there the curator/owner, Dale Welksler, has fired up a couple bikes for the visitors. It's not a huge place, so when he fires off an old 4-cylinder Indian or WWI era Harley you'll know it. He also drives a couple of the bikes around the inside of the museum, which is a hoot to watch, from time to time. He's a GREAT guy and the museum is filled with great motorcycles and collectables.

One other thing, take your camera and give yourself enough time to ride it more than once on a given trip. You'll want to take it in one swoop but also want to stop for pictures along the way. Giving yourself a couple chances to ride it will allow for both.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:14 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden the Dragon a dozen times, my best suggestion is to do it off season , mid week , WAY to many boy racers on the warm weekends. The Cherhola Skyway and Hellbender , both in the same area , I feel are much more fun , less crowded rides.
And the Blue Ridge Parkway is close .. the best bike road in the country ..469 miles of uninterupted bliss.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:27 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

used to live there...road it every other day...wore my foot pegs out on my Dyna Lowrider..hehehehe...man what a blast.... there are many other great roads there also. here is the web site. http://www.dealsgap.com/