General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Rider Safety Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Rider Safety Course

I'm a graduate of the Rider's Edge course. Better teachers, better teaching, better experience overall. State-sponsored classes end up with most of the morons who are ordered to take the course because they'd rather keep their license and take the class than get major fines or jail time. The Rider's Edge course is more than thorough with highly qualified teachers, people whose interests already line up with yours (heck, they're taking the class offered at a Harley dealership for pete's sake), and you take the test right there at the end of the class, and the teachers spend a lot of time prepping you specifically for the test. I really felt like the teachers were investing in my passion for motorcycling, and they did everything they could to set everyone up for success while keeping a close watch on our safety. One day's free rental coupon didn't hurt; combined that with the special they were running at the dealership (rent two days, get one free) plus the fact that they charged less for each additional day of rental, and I only paid for the 2nd and 4th days. Go Rider's Edge!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

I took the Riders Edge course from the Dealership two years ago. Very informative. They do start you off as a beginner, but that is okay and riding the course was fun. It is pricey compared to the college course, but we were reimbursed a portion of it (on bike rental and a gift cert).

Early this year I took the Advanced Course from the local college. And, of course, used my own bike. That class was well worth it, as well. In fact, I may take this course every couple of years just to stay on top of my game.

So far, I've learned something new or 'heard' something new at each class.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Worth every penny. I took the Riders Edge Course and then an Advanced Course taught by a private company. Rider Edge was worth every extra dollar. My wife took the state course offered at the local junior college and it was no where near as thorough.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

ORIGINAL: stukes_md

Please take your B.S, somewhere else. I took the Riders Edge course at the Harley dealership and it didn't have an F---in' thing to do with wanting to feel cool about chit. What do you even know about it and why do you care? Your opinion is uninformed and non-productive.
Yeah, really? Then why'd you take it at Harley? Because you had an extra $300 to blow? Because you are a sheep and wanted to fit in with the rest? Come on, admit it.

What do you know about the state run class? Nothing. So do me a favor and shut your pie hole. "Your opinion is uninformed and non-productive."

And I care because I don't like seeingpeople blowing their hard earned cash on something they can get for $20.

Now go slip on your fingerless gloves, your leather doo-rag, your patched up vest and go bitch about it out front of your local dealer over some juice and cookies with your HOG buddies. LAME WANNA-BE!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

"I agree with stukes, this is a BS post. Not once did the instructors pump HD Bikes. Very dedicated to making sure everyone was safe and had a good learning experiance. "

Really? What did you ride in the course? Where was it done at? Did you get a bunch of flyers when you were done? Maybe they gave you a tour of their "stealership" too?

But hey, it's your money. You know, you could have spent that $300 on some fingerless gloves or some SE slip on mufflers. Although install would have cost you another $300, but hey you're made of money, right?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Idiot

I doubt many of you have taken the HD Rider Class (due to years experience) but for anyone who has, or if you have feedback on the class, I'd like to know your opinion.

I'm mulling over taking it, but aside from about 300 clam$ it'll set me back I'd like to know how its different from a $25 three day state sponsored rider safety class?
Getting back to the original posting,

If Idiot is mulling it over, I think that's a good indicator that he would like to take a safety course. Sure $300.00 is a lot of money, but good training is not something you want to cut corners on. Especially motorcycle safety training. I for one am glad that you are considering a course, because that means you are open to learning. Once a personsays tome "they already know how to ride" they are really telling me their mind is closed to further learning. And the graveyards, junkyards, and ERs are littered with bikes and riders who "know how to ride". Take the course, then in 3-5 years take another like Street Masters, Keith Code, or any of the more advanced ones.

Today I met the polar opposite of Idiot. A person who "learned" to ride in the dealership parking lot, on the same day the bike was purchased, then rode it home. This person has been riding ever since, on the same roads as you and I. I told this rider to take a course before bad habits cause a fatal mistake.

Pay the money. Take the course.

Mark

Old 10-24-2007, 12:25 AM
goofyernurse
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the Rider's Edge course last weekend and really enjoyed it. I have never ridden a motorcycle before and felt like this course was great for a beginner. The class was small and the instructor was really intent on teaching us, not selling a motorcycle. Do I feel like the course left me ready for the road, NO, but it did give me confidence with my riding. I feel as the course prepared me for better parking lot practice, which is fine by me.No hurry in hitting the open road. The course in Arkansas is $245, a little pricey, but with the small class is worth it.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Candy Azz
Banned

All the same stuff in the state course...including the small class. 20 riders only!

Guess you're all missing the point. But hey, whatever makes you feel more like a "Harley Biker".

Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

No matter what the subject always seems to be one "out there". I've been riding 40 years and will retake the course when my wife goes to get her endorsement.
And I do wear fingerless gloves cause it's hot here.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Local circumstances differ, but in my town the same guys teach the MSF course and Rider's Edge, they alternate weekends: one at HD on Buells, next at the campus on donated Hondas. They say that they teach the exact same course but in different t-shirts, and that in Rider's Edge they spend more time on preventative maintainence, etc. because they have the extra classroom time.

Here, Rider's Edge cost $280; MSF $140. If the dealer applied the Rider's Edge course fee to a new bike purchase, they sure didn't advertise it. But, as it is a small town, they are pleased that all riders take a course from these instructors. They do care about rider/customer safety. (They throw in the HD helmet of choice with a new bike purchase--I guess that about equals the course fee.)

The MSF course my wife and I took was great. I was returning to riding after a hiatus and not only learned what I didn't even realize I forgot, but became VERY safety conscious. My wife who was scared to death of her 250 on the first hour in the "range" couldn't wait to test ride a RK on the folowing Monday.

Like any course, a lot depends on the instructors. But, I haven't heard of any bad ones in such courses.

Hat's off to those of you who put the time and energy into teaching these courses.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Rider Safety Course