General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers - General Info - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
SteveM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailers - General Info - Help

ORIGINAL: jivo

Would this be a viable alternative to a trailer?

http://www.topgearproducts.com/

Does anybody have any experience with this product or something like it? What are the disadvantages? Does it do any harm to the transmission?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bad news! Besides needing to remove drive chain, shaftor belt if planning to tow any distance, these things put serious stress on the front end and frame when turning. I'd use a cheap flatbed trailer before I would ever consider one of these.

I went with a United 7 X 12 enclosed low hauler (I need to be able to keep it in my garage). Tandem axles with brakes. Ramp door, curb door. Couldn't be happier. Pulls like a dream. It is, however, a real b!tch to maneuver in the driveway by hand. I use my garden tractor and that helps.

We load up the bike(s), luggage, cooler and any crap we don't want to take up space in the tow vehicle. When not beingtowed, Ipark my bike in it in the garage. Raise the garage door, lower the ramp and away I go!I currently tow it with a 2500HD but have also towed with a 1500 Suburban with no problems. The trailer brakes are great.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look at the website for that Motocarrier it talks about moving a race bike from the pits to the starting line or retrieving it from the finish line. These are very short travel distances. For that short a distance, it make sense to save the time involved in putting the bike ona trailer. I wouldn't consider putting my bike on one for any distance. Just not going to happen.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
jivo
Club Member

SteveM - Thanks for the info. I didn't think about stress on the forks but that makes sense. The site does mention that people have towed their bikes for long distances with that device. I probably will never pull more than one bike and thought that would be a cheap way to tow it until I had the funds to purchase a trailer. I will eventually buy an enclosed trailer, I like the Haulmark low line motorcycle trailers. I can keep that in my garage and the wind resistance should be less than a full size. I'll probably break my back getting the bike in and out though. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 L Hemi with towing package, so it should be up to the task for a good size trailer if I decide to go that way.

Thanks again!
Jivo

Old 10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are nosing your trailer head first into a garage get a trailer dolly

Harbor Freight has some forabout $60.

-fish

Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
TJB50
Tourer

I bought a Rance Aluminum low profile V-nose, dual axle, brakes, etc., etc. and love the trailer. 7X12 LED lighting too. Only 1400 lbs. empty.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't read all the posts so this might be covered. Single axle trailers manuver tighter than dual axle. (can actually be harder to back up) Check your state and those you'll travel as to brakes and whether they are needed ( goes by weight) Personally I would get them. Aluminum trailers are overall lighter than steel and steel/ aluminum. V nose trailers are more aerodynamicand give some "free xtra space but steel V nosed are very tongue heavy. The wider the better as you need to manuver around the bikesto tie them down. Doon't decorate them to look like a traveling Harley museum as this only advertizes what is inside. Unless your budget is high you dont need alot of diamond plate and checkered tiles. A gallon of portch rey and someflat white paint will brighten$.02

Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
MarAgt
Banned Camp

How often are you really gonna tow your bikes on a trip. You said "...for some of our trips." What about renting an enclosed U-haul trailer when you need one. If you only take one bike, get a small trailer. If two a bigger trailer. U-Haul's trailers come w/centrifigal (sp?) brakes, so youwon't need to worry about a brake controller.

Don't kill me guys about suggesting U-Haul. It's just another option.

I am very well versed at towing (I havean F-350 PSD (I don't worry aboutweight), a 5'er, had two smaller campers, and have a utility trailer) and know thatwe don't always use our trailers as much as we would like. So, you might try renting before you buy. You also might find that you want more or less room and you might decided that by trying first.