General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailers - General Info - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Thongs2U
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Trailers - General Info - Help

You have $25K+ in bikes and want to drag them around on a $500 lawn mower trailer? Think about it... 7X12, V nose, tandem axle tandem brakes, drop gate, aluminium skin, enclosed @ $4200 and you will never be sorry. Or for $500, alawn mower hauler flat bed from TSC and it will be like the tail wagginga dog all the way down the highway.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want your gas milage to go into the toilet , you might consider an open trailer .
I towedwith akendon on a 7000 mile trip with the family a few years back and didn't regret it .

Now an enclosed trailer has its advantages and that is what I use now for my ATV's .
But tow a 7 X16 for any lengh of time and it gets tiring . ( you wont need this big of trailer)
Alot more weight behind you and even with 4 wheel electric brakes you know it .
The enclosed will be traded for a lighter open style next year ( gas was alot cheaper when I bought it ).

Tandems are much more stable on the road and by the same tokenFAR more difficult to muscle around on your driveway . ( will you ever have to push it around in your driveway?)
Trailer tags in my state are ALOT more for tandem vs single axle .

Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is just about everyone I know who owns a MC trailer either has or has ended up with dual axels. Save yourself the headache and get them on whatever you decide.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just hauled 4 bikes (Dyna, Heritage and Softail Custom) 2000 miles on an ATV trailer behind a Honda Ridgeline truck. Engine is probably pretty close to your Jeep. Gas mileage sucked (down around 12) but that over the mountains (9000+ feet) at times. Singel axle trailer does fine, just make sure the tongue and load weight meet your needs.

If you're willing to spend the money on a double axle, and especially on something with brakes, then it might be a good idea. Coming across central Nevada (Highway 50) the other night we came around a corner to find a half-dozen deer in the middle of the road. I wasn't sure I was going to get it shut down from 60 to 0 in time to avoid the collision, but it did. Slight pucker marks on the seats, though. Having trailer brakes would have been a better deal.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Hidalgo
Tourer

A couple of points to make from many, many years of dragging trailers all over the USA........

First off, there is NOT a law that says trailers over 2000# must have brakes. Maybe in SOME states, but not all.

That said, I would NEVER haul an enclosed trailer of the size you are talking about unless it had brakes. Necessary? Nope. But brakes are kinda like Harleys...once you had one, you never go back. Do yourself a favor and get the brakes.

If you are going to go 2-wide in the trailer without staggering, you are going to have to go to a 7 foot width to be comfortable. Is it doable in a 6 footer? Yes, but I don't want to do it anymore. Measure the width of your bars. They're at least 3 feet wide. Get the picture? It's not a factor in an open trailer, but the walls get close in a hurry in an enclosed unit.

Tandem or single axle is a personal choice. The tandems pull easier (once you get them going) and ride better, both for the trailer and the tow vehicle. They don't bounce and jerk you around as much as a single does. Will a single work? Absolutely. But if you can fit it in the budget, the tandem is the way to go. One other thing......remember that sometimes tandem trailers can be almost impossible to move by hand. This is especially true if they are loaded heavily. I have had several bass boats on tandems, and they wouldn't hardly turn by hand. You can push them forward/backward in a straight line, but you can't just grab the tongue and turn them like you can with a single axle. If you're going to have to "lay hands" on it to park it or hook it up, this might be considered.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 AM
scoobs
Tourer

Hidalgo pretty much sums up what I have found to be true. Here in WI trailer brakes are required after #3000. My boat trailer dosen't have brakes and that rig scales out just about #2800. My tow vehicle is an 05 GMC Crew cab. In those heavy stops I sure am a wishn I had brakes,would cut down on the pucker factor. Friend has a 7X14 enclosed thatwith 2 bikes (baggers) the 7 foot width is nice. An open trailer you could get away with a 6 footer as you don't have the walls to contend with.
Your not me and I am not you but if I where buying today I would get the 7X14 with tandem and brakes. You will have extra storage for the gear and potential sleeping area. Plus I would be willing to bet that as time goes on you will find other uses for that space(storage/hauling other stuff). Just take your time and figger out what works for you!
Just my .02.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
daconiam
Tourer

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

Trailer in a bag may be just what you need......

Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
jivo
Club Member

Would this be a viable alternative to a trailer?

http://www.topgearproducts.com/

Does anybody have any experience with this product or something like it? What are the disadvantages? Does it do any harm to the transmission?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
rtrostiii
Cruiser

Kendon, dual bike fold up trailer. Buy the stone guard option, and you'll save money and space and have what you need. I use mine to tow my Ultra and wife's dyna.

Ride Safe

Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

It's your money and your bike. If it was mine NO WAY!

Quick Reply: Trailers - General Info - Help