General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:05 AM
grape ape
|
Tourer
Default No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road

Just when I was sort of patting myself on the back for being a careful rider and avoiding situations that have come up along the way, some a**hole brings me abruptly back to reality -- that reality being that you can't always anticipate what some idiot drivers will do. Yesterday four of us were riding, cruising along, and I was in 2nd position. I see this car waiting toturn right off of a side road as we go by. There is a long merge lane from that road. Next thing you know, I hear the car's engine and I look over to my right and the guy is in MY LANE WITH ME! He had zoomed up, run out of merge lane, and cut right in anyway. I sped up, gave him the one finger salute and prayed for the upcoming light to turn red -- and it did. This guy had all four of us at his window cussing him out and he's sitting there smiling like we're trying to be friendly. WTF! He hardly spoke English, but from what I could make out, he thought he didnothing wrong because he was only merging!I'm surprised (but glad) my hubby didn't hit him. CLUELESS IDIOT![:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:15 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer
Default RE: No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road

That happened to me on Friday coming through Edgewater on Rt 2... The right lane goes away and this ahole in a toyota SUV came racing up and merged into my space right at the bridge... He was looking right at me as if I was in his way... I invited him to pull over on the far side of the bridge but he declined in a rapid fashion, aggressively on up the road... I hope his wife gives him the clap.

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:30 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Asmodeus

That happened to me on Friday coming through Edgewater on Rt 2... The right lane goes away and this ahole in a toyota SUV came racing up and merged into my space right at the bridge... He was looking right at me as if I was in his way... I invited him to pull over on the far side of the bridge but he declined in a rapid fashion, aggressively on up the road... I hope his wife gives him the clap.
I go through there every day, people think that far right lane is their personal high speed passing lane. Merge? Yea, move outta their way. It's even worse on the rt 2 section north of 50, the DOT put in a bunch of right hand high speed passing lanes that are are only about a quarter mile.[:@]

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:55 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Justkeep in mindthat every time you give a cager the "one finger" salute that you're putting your life in the hands of someone you don't even know and whose already proved themselves to be an idiot. All you need to do is light a fire under some road rage idiot and you could find yourself in a heap of hurt.

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:25 AM
Asmodeus
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

ORIGINAL: Asmodeus

I go through there every day, people think that far right lane is their personal high speed passing lane. Merge? Yea, move outta their way. It's even worse on the rt 2 section north of 50, the DOT put in a bunch of right hand high speed passing lanes that are are only about a quarter mile.[:@]
It's my normal commute as well... I love it when the cages pull out of Starbucks and Duncan Donuts holding their coffee and slow that lane down... heh heh...

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:34 AM
walc
Cruiser

This happened, yesterday, in my part of Maryland:

WORCESTER: Four hurt, two seriously, after car hits motorcycle

POCOMOKE— Two Missouri residents are in hospital with serious injuries after their Harley-Davidson was hit by a car Sunday at around 2:23 p.m. on Old Snow Hill Road at Route 113, Maryland State Police said.
Police said a Saturn Ion driven Denise Velma Jones, 46, of Salisbury was traveling eastbound on Route 113 and failed to yield right of way to the Harley-Davidson at the intersection, hitting the bike and ejecting its riders, Dale Evan Kronk, 47, and Yvonne Joyce Kronk, 44, both of Imperial, Mo.

Dale Kronk was taken by helicopter to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury before being transferred to the Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore while Yvonne Kronk was taken to PRMC by ambulance with serious injuries, police said.

Jones and her passenger, a 10-year-old girl, were taken to PRMC with minor injuries, police said.

The condition of the four people is not known.

Charges are pending, police said.

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:44 AM
lone rider
Tourer

I had some ****[:@] cross three lanes on a roundaboutto try and kill me today, do you believe he flicked the indicator on just has he was about to take me out, like that made it ok, luckily i'm riding so defensively at the moment after an accident on 13th Aug i was loooking out for such an idiot. One of these days i'm buying a machine gun and then they'll be sorry(only kidding)

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:47 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

Cagers merging into my spot is a common occurance nearly everywhere I've been. They seem to think I must make room for them. In fact, I have been in several social situations were I've heard individuals state that the main flow of traffic is supposed to make room for merging traffic. It's the law! I politely asked that they look that law up at their next convenience. Fact is, driver education and licensing is woefully inadequate and borders on being a joke. People are making up their own rules and passing them on to anyone who will listen.

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:52 AM
grape ape
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: whaap

Justkeep in mindthat every time you give a cager the "one finger" salute that you're putting your life in the hands of someone you don't even know and whose already proved themselves to be an idiot. All you need to do is light a fire under some road rage idiot and you could find yourself in a heap of hurt.
whaap,

You are right about this, I know. You would think I'd know better, especially since I had a friend who was run off the road on her bike when herriding partnergave some guy in a truck the finger. I had made a mental note to myself to not invite the anger of cagers in this way, and then when I lost my temper, all mental notes on this issue went by the wayside.Thanks for the reminder!!

Old 10-22-2007 | 10:25 AM
vulture68
Intermediate

I do 30 to 40k miles a year on bikes. I only know one law. Everything, everyone has the right of way, everytime and everywhere.

Quick Reply: No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road