General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 05:51 PM
IRready
Road Master
Default RE: No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road

ORIGINAL: ozy

Whatever the risk I am not willing to be a doormat nor to allow some twit to think his behavior is OK because no one else will do anything about it.
Interesting. It is not that your a doormat, it is your no match for a cage. I guess is it better to have that "twit" kill you... But at least you made a point that your no "doormat". Maybe they will put that on your grave. Point is the idiots are just that.. idiots. You can't reason with an idiot without acting like one. If your out of harms way I guess blow your steam if it makes you feel better. Chances are your giving the other fool exactly what he wants.. attention. Ride safe.

Old 10-22-2007 | 07:05 PM
Cliff M
Advanced

I feel like I'm developing a sixth sense on what some drivers are going to do. I always watch for fancy ladys/dudes in their expensive cages and very young drivers. Follow the never ride side by side unless necessary and always give them the right of way no matter what.

Old 10-22-2007 | 07:54 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: R1Geezrglide

Cagers merging into my spot is a common occurance nearly everywhere I've been. They seem to think I must make room for them. In fact, I have been in several social situations were I've heard individuals state that the main flow of traffic is supposed to make room for merging traffic. It's the law! I politely asked that they look that law up at their next convenience. Fact is, driver education and licensing is woefully inadequate and borders on being a joke. People are making up their own rules and passing them on to anyone who will listen.
This is from the Illinois Rules of the Road book regarding what the "merge" sign means:
"MERGING LANES: This sign tells you that two lanes of traffic going the same direction will soon merge into one lane. Be ready to either change lanes or allow other traffic to merge into your lane. Merge signs appear on expressways just before expressway ramps. The driver on the expressway slows down to let the driver on the ramp merge."

Old 10-22-2007 | 07:59 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: whaap

Justkeep in mindthat every time you give a cager the "one finger" salute that you're putting your life in the hands of someone you don't even know and whose already proved themselves to be an idiot. All you need to do is light a fire under some road rage idiot and you could find yourself in a heap of hurt.
yup

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:06 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

that's what the book says. most people interperate it to mean....speed up so that you may cut in at any time.

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:21 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master

This thread reminds me why I quit riding almost 10 years ago. After two bad wrecks I couldn't avoid, and me being lucky enough to hobble away from both still alive, I gave up on anyone who doesn't ride or love someone who rides ever having a clue or giving a s**t. Then I got to missing it, bought a new (to me) Harley last week, and in 400 miles or so over the weekend, I was surprised to only have 3 encounters with total idiots, and with my guard up the way it has been, I was actually expecting all 3 as they occured. You just gotta get it set in your mind, whether it's true or not, that everyone out there on 4 or more wheels wants to kill you and doesn't care if you die when you're riding.

One thing I did notice is that the loud Vance & Hines pipes I have really make my presence more known.

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:23 PM
anubisss
Banned

Just a thought from me. When I did have accidents without the chance to manuever away quickly, it happened so fast that it was faster than snapping my fingers. Riding, boom, on the ground. That was it. There was no time to think oh, ****.

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:35 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master

With me it there was enough time to snap a finger, but that's about it. T-boned a car that blew a stop sign and I flew about 20 feet, but I was loaded with gear cause it was cold, so all I did was sprain an ankle and a wrist when I landed, and scratched my helmet up good. It destroyed my favorite Honda CB550 ever built. The other one, I had no clue what happened. I came to, *** stuck half-way through a late 80's crown vic windshield, looking at my bike laying on the ground about 30 feet ahead with the wheel and fender pushed up under the seat. My *** was sore for weeks, and I had a broken tailbone. I was lucky not to have a broken spine or neck. I have a good friend who is paralized from the neck down for life from a bike wreck, but I guess I'll never learn 'til it's too late. What fun is life without taking a few risks every now and then anyway, right?

Old 10-22-2007 | 10:35 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: grape ape

ORIGINAL: whaap

Justkeep in mindthat every time you give a cager the "one finger" salute that you're putting your life in the hands of someone you don't even know and whose already proved themselves to be an idiot. All you need to do is light a fire under some road rage idiot and you could find yourself in a heap of hurt.
whaap,

You are right about this, I know. You would think I'd know better, especially since I had a friend who was run off the road on her bike when herriding partnergave some guy in a truck the finger. I had made a mental note to myself to not invite the anger of cagers in this way, and then when I lost my temper, all mental notes on this issue went by the wayside.Thanks for the reminder!!
It is very difficult for some reason to NOT automatically lift that left hand, when you feel a few precious moments have just been shaved off your longevity on the planet. I don't go around flipping folks off, but there are those instances when what comes natural just takes over.

DougJ

Old 10-23-2007 | 04:01 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

careful sometimes just not enough. you havta assume that the cage is going to do the most stupid thing on earth. and they do they have'nt let me down yet.

Quick Reply: No amount of careful riding can account for idiots on the road