General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About your LOUD PIPES

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: About your LOUD PIPES

Yeah, this country was founded on a revolution against a government interfering with the personal lives of the people. Don't sweat the small chit like noise ordinances, required protective gear, etc. Free men and women will prevail. Bikers are no longer just 1%. Puzzies complaints come and go. Enforcement of these kinds of rules never last. "Loud" pipes have been against the law since the 1970s.

Ride free and ride loud and proud.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD Attitude

You speak as if I dont enjoy my pipes, but the facts are its going to change and sooner then you think. I guess many dont see it but when adults wont ware protection nor control their pipes, then its time for others to step in and thats soon to happen. I talked to a V&H rep sat and he told me that they have a line coming out next year that will be noiseLEGAL and quite. You figure out the LEGAL part. like it or not its coming. Many states have already done this.
I never said i didn't like a good set of pipes, but get behind a blown out set of pipes and it can hurt your ears.
I got to call BS on this..............
First off name these many states.
Name this V&H rep.
Divulge your source that makes you so sure "its coming".
Tell us something we have not heard 10,000 times before..........

If it was me at that light....I would have told you where to go as well.
If you want to make noise, and you get caught....you pay the fine and ride on. Like the guy who lives in Daytona said....this so called "law"...more of a urban legend if you ask me....is for the a$$ holes who are trying to bring attention to themselves by revving the engine for no reason, or racing around. If they come down on loud bikes.....then they MUST also come down on loud cars. That means all these little scum bags with the coffee can mufflers, and BOOM BOOM BOOM for music playing at 150db.

Listen folks the sky IS NOT FALLING. There are extremely few CITIES that have made some sort of law against excessive noise....and I dont blame them....but they can not target just bikes. Secondly it is very hard to enforce the law. What is loud to you may not be loud to a LEO....or vice versa. The only way it can be uniformly enforced is with a prescribed distance from the vehical....engine at a stated RPM....exceding a stated db level. On top of all that the LEO's would need the right to pull you over for some reason in the first place....so you would have to either be acting like a idiot, or have already committed some sort of offence.....then they could field test your bike for noise level.

For those that say the pipes will need a EPA stamp.....well what about a stock pipe with the baffle removed..or cut short? What if I take a punch pin set and put my own EPA numbers on the aftermarket pipe. Believe me.....if a law is passed, and it becomes profitable to skirt it somehow.....the product will sell faster than hot cakes. (not a bad idea to come up with something to make a few bucks on).

Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dalton, I run V&H ovals on my bagger and I see people rolling up their windows next to me and I don't consider my bike loud. My buddy runs Rhineharts which seem about the same as my ovals. I had a gal rollup her window a couple weeks ago because I must have been disturbing her cell phone call.

I know it is a problem with guys on the throttle at 2 am but I think it has totally run amuck andnow residents beotching about it is the trendy thing to do. They see that they can influence politicians and jump on the bandwagon while it is gaining momentum.

I have been to Daytona, Sturgis and Myrtle Beach and I don't like getting woke up more than anyone else does. I wish they would ticket the guys that cause the problems like the old days.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I love waking up to the sound of a Harley rumble.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM
hondo96inch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What do you suppose they will beotch about when everybody has factory pipes?"

Excess chrome reflections causing blindness

No body armour

No leashes on dogs in sidecars

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

I love waking up to the sound of a Harley rumble.
I do, too!! Unfortunately, everybody doesn't, and there in lies the problem.

I see where folks have noticed that others roll their car windows up when sitting next to the aftermarket pipes.

I have experienced that, but I have also noticed folks rolling the car windows down at a light, or when they see me coming up from behind them to
pass.
Some folks wave at Harleys as you ride by their house, why is that?

I roll my car windows down when a bike is beside me, etc. Guess I like the sound of MC exhaust pipes.

There is a thing called consideration of our fellow humans. Rumble is always good, WOT is for open country (and to disturb cell calls in cars).

IMHO,

DougJ

Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

WHAT!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:53 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pipes are quite, so I can sneak up on ya.[8D][8D]

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

...Several pipe manufacturers are routinely advertising their "quiet" performance pipes, including V&H. Just check any bike magazine, including Harley's street legal Screaming Eagles.

Latest example: Dec issue of American Rider, page 72. Cobra announcing their new True Dual head pipes designed for for "optimal torque and power and improved ridability," using HD stock mufflers.

I've never figured out why anyone would put pipes on that reduced useable power, as illustrated on a couple of the pictures on this thread. Noise isn't power. It's just noise.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an argument that will exist, primarily on Harley web sites, until those who protest the loudest and proclaim that they will defend their 'right' to annoy others are fined or legislated into submission, or leave motorcycling entirely. Until then, it's a pointless argument.

Quick Reply: About your LOUD PIPES