General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in "work clothes"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007 | 03:26 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Riding in "work clothes"?

I change at work when I get there.....got a locker, think most of us types do Of course I'd get some looks if I rode to work in my work clothes!

Old 10-20-2007 | 05:19 AM
Cliff Diver
Advanced

I know for the Air Force with the protective gear requirements you get all kinds. From Blues with a sweatshirt on to a leather jacket to a long sleeved tshirt with the reflective vest gloves helmet, and boots. I wear my BDU's to work so no issue there just put on my city worker reflective vest gloves and helmet and I am good to go. Dont worry about wrinkles well cause I just dont worry about them. Even in my blues I dont worry about them since I only have abou 1/4 mile ride to work. I could walk but why when I can ride.

Old 10-20-2007 | 06:22 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

We are business casual so I just ride in to work without changing. The only thing that sucks is not using the highway pegs because my paints bunch up!Tried the tie downs but they are a pain to deal with.

We do have casual Fridays so then it's jeans and a Harley t shirt. I have a pair of boots that that look good either way so I wear them all week.

Old 10-20-2007 | 06:50 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

We are business casual so I just ride in to work without changing.
Same here. I wear my khaki pants, golf style shirt and dress shoes. I get a couple of strange looks but it is not a big deal. One thing I have noticed, those dress pants do not block the cold and wind very well.

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:04 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

lot of office comandos in here,,,,,,

I own 1 suit,,,, bought at sears 3 years ago,, just for dress up nights on our Carab'in cruise.
next time I wear it will proby be at a funeral parlor

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:22 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Lucky here, change at work, but if I did ride in "dress" clothes, I think I would go with some type of over pants, slips over your dress pants. Harley makes some as do the major companies ( FIrstgear, etc)....as for the top, mesh jacket in summer, leather or touring jacket in winter.....

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:27 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

ORIGINAL: dabuckman

In the Navy and wear my uniform to/from work on the bike all the time. Just throw a jacket w/reflective stripe to meet our protective gear requirements and never had a problem in heat or otherwise. I feel a bit of a goof sometimes flying down the road at 70mph and my khaki pants have crept halfway up my leg, but I'm still on my bike and it's great for relaxing on the way home.

I can't really see wearing a jacket or otherwise over your clothes would make them wrinkled unless you have a REALLY long commute.
Yeah, I'm in the Navy also. Never wore the khakis on the bike, since I usually have access to a locker at work. I leave a uniform and shoes at work. I guess I was worried about some one giving me a hard time about wearing khakis plus the safety gear- jacket, helmet, boots, etc....are there any regs about this that you know about? Wearing motorcycle stuff with uniforms during your commute? Let me know.

Civilian clothes...I would wear dockers or some other heavy cotton pants. Shirt/tie as required. Put your motorcycle jacket over it. Put your shoes in a book bag and wear a motorcycle jacket. I've done this before for various jobs. It works, no one cares.
Check navy Uniform Regulations Article 6804, it covers what you need to know.

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:30 AM
sl3slinger
Banned

ORIGINAL: packetjunkie

Any suggestions from commuters who ride to work in suit pants and shirts (business casual)? Do you keep a set of clothes at the office to change into or do you wear something over your clothes that doesnt make you come out looking all wrinkled?
maybe you should just ride to work in your underware and get dressed at work!

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:31 AM
jmehal
Cruiser

I ride to work 3 days every week, work at home the other 2. No way I would wear just khakis' on the bike for lack of protection they offer. I bring a couple pair khakis and leave them at work, alongwith a pair of nice boots.I wear jeans (and chaps when cooler) on the bike. In the winter I use Hein Gericke overpants. I have an office to change in when I get there and before I leave.

Old 10-20-2007 | 07:40 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

neither

Quick Reply: Riding in "work clothes"?