General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint a 100 Year Anniversary Model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:14 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Paint a 100 Year Anniversary Model?

a 100 year anniv is still a 2003, RIGHT? Paint it how ever you want.

Chuck

Old 10-19-2007, 10:44 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the "Christmas Ribbon" paint job on the anniversary model is the ugliest tank of any years production. The ribbon does not follow the lines of the tank at alland is nothing short of just ugly.

The only way I would own an anniversary is if it had been painted!!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DynaDude

I have a black 2003 anniversary edition Wide Glide. While I like the color, I wouldn't mind doing a custom paint job, while perhaps incorporating the tank emblem. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good or bad idea?
Here's my Heritage that Attitude painted... I bought the tins from them..so no down time... Then sold my 100 yr. set.. bought the emblems on Ebay

And full shot..

Old 10-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Old Salt
Intermediate

I have a '03 FXD and wouldn't hesitate to paint it. Only way it will appreciate in value is to keep it in the original shipping crate for 30 or so years.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Were it me, I'd paint it anniversary copper and vivid black and make it look 5 years newer

Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 AM
soulfish
Cruiser

FWIW My 100th Fatboy is wrecked and needs new tins (as well as other assorted pieces.) Dealer told me that they have to send in the old tins or emblems in order to get new ones. He mentioned something about not being able to take emblems off and put them on other tins under penalty of a big fine from the moco. Says there may not be anniversary replacement bags,seats,windshield, etc available and cannot switch the emblems onto new pieces. The tins will take months to get because the factory will only run that particularpaint scheme when itdoes a batch of them.I didn't catch all the details but thereare some issues with getting those anniversary parts. He seems to be very straight forward and honest and I tend to believe what he's telling me. Anyway, if you switch out your 100th stuff, they aren't making anymore. That doesn't make those parts more desireable or appealing, just harder to get. Maybe it's time for a color change?[:-]

Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DR.Greenthumb

I believe there is some extra value in the 03 tins,not so much if they are on your bike,but in selling them off the bike.You could probably sell the 03 tins and cover the cost of the new tins and part of the paint job.I saw a set of the tank badges go for $300 on E Bay once.That alone would buy you two fenders.Might even be more money in breaking up the set than selling them together.You find someone who wants a fender or a tank in the 100 yr paint scheme,you can't get them anywhere else and it would be pretty hard to duplicate.
My findings also,

Makes it hard to believe that an03 bike is worth less than a 02 or 04.

I have a 03 FXD. Wanted an anniversary model and will keep it till I am dropped in my grave.

Now, you want to talk about poor selling features, how about the concordgrape bikes? [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 10-20-2007, 11:53 AM
SpringerDude
Tourer

Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning towards a new set of painted tins, if for no other reason than it seams easier.

Thanks again,
Tod

Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Obviously you'regetting many different opinions on this subject as I'm sure you knew you would. This topic, along with the collectictibilty aspect of the 03's has come up many times before. I find it amusing that usually the harshest, loudest critics are expressed by those who do not actually own an '03 bike. There's lots of (unsolicited) negative comments about what they think of the '03 models not taking in to account the feelings of the people who own them. Naturally everyone has different tastes and not everyone enjoys anniversary stripes. On the other hand not everyone likes flames,graphics, murals or nude paintings on their gas tanks. That's what makes each of us unique and our bikes uniquely special to us.

Having said all of that, here's my take on the bike. At one point I did consider painting my bike, then opted to keep it original and buy new tins instead. That way I have the best of both worlds. I really recommend this option with painting over your existing set as the second option. As far as the '03 bikes are concerned, only time will tell whether or not these bikes will be worth more money in the future. Considering the 100th year anniversary was a milestone in HD's company history, I'm of the belief that the 100th anniversary bikes will eventually begin to appreciate as time goes on, more than the other anniversary bikes that seem to come out every 5 years.At the moment the bikes are still too new to see any increase in price. Where it goes from here...only time will tell.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:38 PM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my paint set off Ebay. $1400 shipped. www.ironrangecustoms.com

Quick Reply: Paint a 100 Year Anniversary Model?