General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint a 100 Year Anniversary Model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Paint a 100 Year Anniversary Model?

My buddy has a 100 anniv. lowrider with a custom paintjob. Never hesitated to send the tins out to be painted and that was when the bike was still fairly new and he had no idea whether the anniv. paint would have value later on or not. There is nothing about his bike anymore that would give away what year it was made and I kind of like that. Other than the TC88, it could be a year old or 5 years old and you'd never know unless you really know the details. And, even then you probably couldn't pick the exact year of production - just the range.

It's only 5 years later. Given more time, probably a lot more time, you might see a 100 anniv. model in original condition bring more than a 99 year or a 101 year. But, unless you are buying or keeping it as an investment (I have some swampland to sell if you are interested), just make it your own and forget about it.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Storm 4 U

Original: Dalton
If you are gonna paint it, why get a second set of tins? The 03 models are worth no more than the others and are depreciating at the same rate. If the paint means something to you , by all means get the second set of tins, but if you are just tired of the look, just paint it IMO
Dalton makes agood point here, all the hype about anniverery edition don't mean doodley squat
I do not see anyone paying more for a 100th year bike just sellers asking more
and we all know the answer to that one.

Drop the existing tins and paint them. This is what I did with my Night Train
Oh yeah, it is a 100th year anniversery edition..... whoopdy doo
I had a RK 100 year anni and had a heck of a time selling it because it displayed it's age. Seems only a few people want a bike wearing its date of manufacture. I changed out the tims to a radical paint set... then sold the 100 year stuff on ebay... Had no problem selling the bike then and in fact got more for it then I originally wanted. I believe the anni stuff makes for a hard sell to the general bike shopper. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the way the anni's look, it's just making them independently different. It's Harley's way of making a statement and not necessarly your statement... New tins may be the way to go and sell the old tins as some people are seeking them out. This would off-set the cost of the new tins. Equal to or close to a whole new paint job without the down time... unless you want to design your own paint style and make your own statement!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

here in Alabama the 2003s are appraised for yearly ad valorem tax purposes higher than the 2004s and 2005s. My neighbor has a 2003 shriner's Ultraclassic and it's taxed higher than another friend's 2005 ultra.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 AM
dsrtdoc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at Attitude Custom Paint, as mentioned above they have tins you can buy pre painted or you can do a tin exchange you can even buy thier tins so you dont have any down time while they customize for you. I too am having work done by them. Under 5k for custom pant smoothed fenders custom airbrush work front and back and extra clear coats to protect all of the work. The start around 1500 for a full custom job already on tins and just go up from there. Thay also have the best customer service I have encountered in a long time. Good luck on you decisions. DSRTDOC

Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe there is some extra value in the 03 tins,not so much if they are on your bike,but in selling them off the bike.You could probably sell the 03 tins and cover the cost of the new tins and part of the paint job.I saw a set of the tank badges go for $300 on E Bay once.That alone would buy you two fenders.Might even be more money in breaking up the set than selling them together.You find someone who wants a fender or a tank in the 100 yr paint scheme,you can't get them anywhere else and it would be pretty hard to duplicate.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Paint over them, if lots of people do this then maybe the 100th bikes will be worth something.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

I asked the same question when I got my bike and got the same mixed answers. FWIW I saved the original tins and turned the bike into something I liked. If there's no value to it later it wasn't that much - storing them in my boyfriend's girage so they don't clutter my place up

Lisa

Old 10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Candy Azz
Banned

Screw the anniversary paint job. It's not some sort of limited edition rare bike. They're everywhere. Plus, they're boring and ugly...my opinion.

Sooooo, either send the tinsout or just get an already painted set off of Ebay or somewhere else. Then sell your tins. Some moron will want them as an "investment". Ha!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Ianltd
Advanced

Hi, I have a very boring coloured Gunmetal pearl W.G, and have recently bought a custom paint set (ghost flames etc.) from the U.S (I live in the U.K!)
I decided to keep my Anni. paint set and box it up................for what reason, I don't know!! but I just felt I should??
I think it's a personal thing and how you feel, nothing really to do with future value because as most of the guys say, I don't think it's gonna be worth anymore than anything else.
I never did like the Anni. colours..they were all pretty boring!! imo
But yeah, you get no down time and you always have a spare set of tins should you fancy another change!!
HTH,
Ian
ORIGINAL: DynaDude

I have a black 2003 anniversary edition Wide Glide. While I like the color, I wouldn't mind doing a custom paint job, while perhaps incorporating the tank emblem. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good or bad idea?
[IMG]local://upfiles/33561/05323B620E3842B9A0428D0907A496AD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33561/4C1CEBAC631F469EA0CD0A8F7F334CD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 PM
prc1333
Tourer

For what it is worth, I would keep the Anniversary paint set and buy custom set for when you want to sell it. I got more than I anticipated selling a 15th anniversary Fat Boy and my 100th Anniversary CVO RK Gold color set is a one of a kind. I think it will hold it's value. Just my opinion...
[/align]

Quick Reply: Paint a 100 Year Anniversary Model?