General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total cost for a race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 04:16 PM
Inforit
|
Road Captain
Default Total cost for a race tuner

I am debating on either getting PCIII or Race Tuner. PCIII will cost me around 280 lets say and I can d/l a map from it and should not cost me anymore and I can tweak it if I have to.

Race Tuner will cost me 350 then I have to get Stealers to professionaly tune the bike which cost ?
So what will it cost out the door to get the race tuner installed and have a good running bike?
Can you get custom maps for racetuner and upload it by yourself. I am thinking probably like 600 for total cost of a racetuner. Which seems to be twice as much as pcIII or am I wrong.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2005 | 04:28 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Total cost for a race tuner

Actually you can install the race tuner yourself if you are good at that kinda thing. Both the PCIII and Race Tuner should be dyno's to get best results.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-13-2005 | 05:03 PM
Inforit
|
Road Captain

I am just trying to get the cost difference down. PC3 I can definetly do with no problem and get a map for it so it can run well. The racetuner seems to be an issue because there are no maps that I can get for it and has to be done by professional or a dealer and thats what I want to find out. How much will the racetuner cost me after the whole thing is done and tuned. How much did it cost you Terry with price of a tuner and tuning it?

Old 12-13-2005 | 05:24 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

My race tuner cost me 360 and another 95 to get the bike dyno.

Old 12-13-2005 | 05:28 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

I purchased the race tuner for about $350, haven't done the dyno, but was quoted about $400 to have it done [:-]

Old 12-13-2005 | 05:52 PM
chunks
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Inforit

I am debating on either getting PCIII or Race Tuner. PCIII will cost me around 280 lets say and I can d/l a map from it and should not cost me anymore and I can tweak it if I have to.

Race Tuner will cost me 350 then I have to get Stealers to professionaly tune the bike which cost ?
So what will it cost out the door to get the race tuner installed and have a good running bike?
Can you get custom maps for racetuner and upload it by yourself. I am thinking probably like 600 for total cost of a racetuner. Which seems to be twice as much as pcIII or am I wrong.

Thanks.
My PC III USB arrived today, I paid $269.00 from Eastern Performance Cycles,
FREE SHIPPING because it was over $250.00.
I'm installing it myself on Saturday when I have time to play.

Total cost to me was $269.00

Thought about the race tuner, but most of the features it has are really beyond what I need ands it costs
a lot more.

For me it was a clear choice.

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:18 PM
ultravista
Road Captain

Can someone tell me what advantages the Race Tuner or Power Commander will give me?

My 01 Night Train is stock with the exception of a K&N filter and Bub (2-into-1) pipes.

Are we talking a significant gain or what? Is it worth the money?

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:29 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

The difference is if you decide to the motor work to you bike the race tuner can handle it. Also the SERT is tune specifically for your bike and only your bike. Nothing against the PCIII but will will need a download with it also and they will put you around the cost of a SERT.

Old 12-14-2005 | 05:32 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Biggest difference between the two is that the PCIII stays attached to the bike, the SERT reprograms the ECM and comes off...either is needed for a true tune in conjunction with a dyno...

Man, this has been covered soooooo many times...do as search and read up on it...

Mac

Old 12-15-2005 | 02:25 AM
RKRick
Intermediate

Originally I put V&H Ovals and a Stage 1 Air Cleaner and Stage 1 Download (crap). By the way the dealer noted on the invoice for the download that customer installed own exhaust and A/C. My bike popped way too much for my liking, so I bought a Revtech DFO. Bike still either has some popping or I get 29 MPG when set at a point where popping is mostly eliminated (can't eliminate popping totally even at highest settings on pots). I have also checked the intake for leaks and replaced the exhaust donuts to no avail. Anyhow, I'm not satisfied so after lots of research I've decided that I'm going to buy the SERT and a Twin Scan 88+ Kit from Daytona Sensors which includes a WEGOII AFR. It is a little more initial investment than the SERT with a Dyno Tune but enables me to make other engine mods down the line without having to cough the cash for another Dyno, plus it logs data from actual riding unlike a Dyno. If I was not a computer nerd/ex-mechanic/engineer I would probably not go this route but I really cringe at the thought of the stealers touching my bike. When I bought my bike it was 1 quart low on oil, had 0 pressure in the airshocks, clutch had too much freeplay and the primary was too tight. Took the bike to another dealer to get a quart of oil and the service writer had no clue how to correctly check the oil ( he wanted me to sit on the bike to keep it upright instead of leaving on the jiffystand per the OM). Like a fool I let even another stealer do the 1K service thinking it would help if I had warranty issues down the road but when I got the bike back it was 1/2quart low on oil and the clutch had no freeplay at all. Anyhow I just don't trust the dealers to even do a good Dyno setup at this point. Off my soapbox now...

Quick Reply: Total cost for a race tuner