Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passengers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
dkside1972
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passengers

I have some miles under the tires but haven't rode witha passenger, so I'm looking for suggestions while having a passenger to keep both safe.

Chan

Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Passengers

My fiancee burned her leg because I didn't know what I was doing on my bike. If I could change that, I would wait until 1,000 miles of riding before a passenger should get on.

Before any passenger gets on, I always start off with the downer safety stuff, explaining that this is a dangerous machine, etc. I want them to listen up and be serious and know the risks. Before a passenger gets on my bike, I communicate the following "rules"

1.) Get on and off only when I say.
2.) Wear the minimum protection required by law + helmet.
3.) You must wave and smile to anyone on a bike or car who waves and smiles at you. This is fun, and the whole world should know it.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best advice I could give you is to have the passenger sit still and upright in the corners or curves. If the passenger starts leaning with you it can put you in a bad situation.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
SteveM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it you do a search, you'll find a few threads that give good info on this topic.

The first thing you'll want to do is educate your passenger on how to be a passenger. When to mount, when to dismount, when to sit still, when to lean, when to etc. etc. etc. You will notice a difference in weight and raised center of gravity primarily starting from a stop, stopping and operating at slow speed.

My recommendation is to practice in a parking lot, neighborhood, etc. before venturing out.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

the biggest thing for them to know is that every movement they make will affect what you are doing. i always let my passengers know that they can move but just let me know that they are going to so i can be prepared for it. sometimes they might want to stretch or something. so just tell me.

i had one girl who i told to lean with me. initially she didn't at all and she tried to straighten the bike on turns. so i said it again and now she leaned more into the turns. both were bad. found another chick.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser

I read the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough (pronounced "Huff"), and he said that he also recommends learning how to drop the bike with a passenger! Sure, I would try this on my $2700 Honda Shadow, but not on the HD.

He said go into a grassy area and practice dropping the bike and learning how to jump off. I see his point. You don't want your passenger trapped under the bike with those hot pipes buring the leg.

So I explain that it is better to try to stay on the bike, but if the bike is going to fall at low speeds (5mph), then it's best to jump off.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser

Oh, and I practice quick stops with my passenger, because with the added weight, we both need to know how to stop and quickly as possible.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rides2007Harley

The best advice I could give you is to have the passenger sit still and upright in the corners or curves. If the passenger starts leaning with you it can put you in a bad situation.
I hope that was meant to be a joke[:-]

Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

The best passenger are the one's you don't know are even back there. Tell them to sit still, enjoy the view and don't lean with the bike.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sugarbear

ORIGINAL: Rides2007Harley

I hope that was meant to be a joke[:-]
Not at all. The last thing you want happening is your passenger leaning their body all over the bike. The driver should have complete control and do the leaning necessary and countersteering will take you around any curve. IMO, the passenger should stay perpendicular to the cycle. Of course once the bike leans they will be in the same relationship with it.

Quick Reply: Passengers