General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passengers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Passengers

I read this on another HDF thread about passengers and it has worked very well for us.When negotiating curves, the passenger should look over the shoulder of the rider that will be at the "inside" of the curve, keeping the backrest centered in their back. For example, right handcurve = passenger looking over rider'sright shoulder. Ditto for the left. I've found that this slight head movement by the passenger really helps me set the bike up for curves.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rides2007Harley

The best advice I could give you is to have the passenger sit still and upright in the corners or curves. If the passenger starts leaning with you it can put you in a bad situation.
I have to disagree with this.
The passenger SHOULD lean with the driver.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

The best advice I could give you is to have the passenger sit still and upright in the corners or curves. If the passenger starts leaning with you it can put you in a bad situation.
You have a right to your opinion but I think it is wrong. As many others have said the backrest should be centered in their back and should never change positions regardless of the bikes condition.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, unless you're road racing, the driver doesn't "lean" either! Both driver and passenger remain in the same position on a bike, and the whole unit "leans" together from the countersteering, which causes the lean and thus the turn. Neither should be shifting postiion. The point made of having the passenger look over the shoulder of the driver in the direction of the turn is how it is taught by MSF, and works well.

An exception to the above would be on slow, tight turns, where the driver may shift weight to the outside of the turn, to counter-balance.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
warthawg
Tourer

Strap em to the bitch bar and ride, ride ride.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Matty64
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Well, unless you're road racing, the driver doesn't "lean" either! Both driver and passenger remain in the same position on a bike, and the whole unit "leans" together from the countersteering, which causes the lean and thus the turn. Neither should be shifting postiion. The point made of having the passenger look over the shoulder of the driver in the direction of the turn is how it is taught by MSF, and works well.

An exception to the above would be on slow, tight turns, where the driver may shift weight to the outside of the turn, to counter-balance.
I have to agree with MNPGRider I rely on a gentle counter steer to get me through 99 % of the curves I come to, the only time I can remember leaning and sticking a knee out was riding my XSEleven and trying to grind the pegs.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Went and dug out a page out of my MSF manual and scanned. The picture on the left shows the proper relationship of the rider to the bike. Note the rider is not leaning, but rather the bike and rider are leaning together! The only part of the body that noticeably moves is the head, as you look in the direction of the turn, keeping your eyes level with the road to maintain your inner ear balance. The turn itself is accomplished by a gentle "press" on the handgrip in the direction of your turn "Press left, lean left, go left. Press right, lean right, go right."

The picture on the right shows counter balancing, which can be done on slow tight turns by shifting your weight to the outside of the turn, to help maintain balance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/1ED3833763674EC396744759F68E5A97.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

What MNPGrider said is what I learned in MSF and started doing it. Things improved drastically. Fortunately she is light, but when we first started riding, we came to a stop, she stood up on the floorboards, planted her right foot and jumped hard off the right side. Darn near dropped the bike in the driveway[>:]. The advice I will add is to not horse around at first. Let her and you get comfortable over a few rides before you let her feel the force and listen to the pipes bark.Also, be preparedfor a nice evening together . The bike may well improve your sex life [sm=happybounce.gif]Ride Safe! [sm=biker.gif]

Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
uesque
Tourer

My first and foremost rule is do not lean, I do the leaning for both of us. I know exactly how much to lean the bike, I can't predict how much the passenger is going to lean. It does work best with a backrest, then they can just center themselves and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tuckahoe

I ride passenger with my husband, not much different than sex, love the twisties and bumps [] hee hee

Lasts longer I bet.

Quick Reply: Passengers