General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the wheel(s) straight before turning left

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:28 PM
Primo
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Keep the wheel(s) straight before turning left

I know it's common knowledge but that doesn't mean that people alwaysfollow the safest procedures.

REMINDER: Keep your front wheel(s) straight while waiting to turn left.

An old friendpassed away this last weekend from massive injuries suffered when a driver was lined up on the other side of the road to turn left.

The driver was waiting patiently while a line of bikes was passing her turning pointwhile on a charity ride.

The driver was waiting.

A secondvehicle camefrom behind and rear ended her.

Due to the fact that her wheels were turned to the left instead of straight ahead (according to family reports)she was pushed into the procession of motorcycles killing one rider almost instantly and sending my friend Ken to the hospital with what would turn out to be fatal injuries that he would succumb from about a week later.

Could have probably been avoided had she had her front wheels straight instead of turned to the left in anticpation of her pending turn.

Tragedy.

R.I.P. Ken.

See below for the local paper's story.

Primo

Taken from the "Southeast" regional section. Originally posted by johnnyx:

Police ID motorcyclist killed on charity ride
Woodstock man died enroute to hospital

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/01/07
The victim in a fatal motorcycle wreck during a charity ride Sunday in Cherokee County has been identified as a 42-year-old Woodstock man.
James Anastasio died enroute to the hospital after the accident, officials said Tuesday.

RELATED LINK:
More Cherokee news[/b]

One other motorcyclist, Ken Glasspool, was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital after the multi-vehicle wreck and remained in critical but stable condition on Tuesday, a Grady spokeswoman said.
The bikers were among a group of about 40 to 50 motorcyclists taking part in a charity bike ride when the crash occurred about 1:30 p.m. Sunday on Ga. 140 north of Waleska, according to authorities.
Larry Schnall, a spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol, said a woman driving a Subaru sport utility vehicle westbound on Ga. 140 had stopped, waiting to turn left onto Little Refuge Road.
Most of the eastbound group of motorcyclists had passed when a westbound Honda being driven by a male teen struck the rear of the Subaru, pushing the SUV into the path of the oncoming motorcycles, Schnall said. None of the automobile occupants suffered serious injury.
Schnall said Monday that the wreck was still under investigation.
Witnesses said the motorcyclists were on an annual 75-mile fundraising ride by Bikers Against Cruelty to Kids.
According to the group's website, the motorcyclists were raising money for Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children, volunteers appointed by judges to advocate for the best interests of abused or negleced children in juvenile court proceedings.
This was the fifth year for the ride, said Bobby Coleman, a spokesman for Bikers Against Cruelty to Kids.
"It was just a bunch of bikers trying to raise some money for some kids," he said.

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:36 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior
Default RE: Keep the wheel(s) straight before turning left

Sorry to hear about your friend Primo. An accident with those circumstances is something I would never even think about.

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:50 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

One of our riding group was in Michigan on vacation a few years ago. Driving down a city street, they were approaching a police station on their right, with a cop coming at them with left turn signals on. He slowed, not knowing how much of a hurry the cop was in. The cop waved them on, but had started to turn his wheelsleft, when he was rearended and pushed into the side of their bike. Both were severely injured, but survived.

The legal mess took a couple of years to figure out. Apparently Michigan has a very low $$$ requirement for insurance, and the gal thathit the rearended the cop had minimum liability coverage that didn't even cover the first of many operations. I think they ended up collecting from the ciy as it was the police car that hit them, even though caused by the girl

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:54 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry about your friend.. and I remember reading somewhere about the earlier... I guess when its time, its time...

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:25 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the reminder!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 10-17-2007 | 07:29 PM
jmehal
Cruiser

Thanks for the tip Primo, had not really thought about that even though I read about the accident in the local news after it occured.
Sorry about your friend.
I live only a few miles from the town where this happened and ride that very road on my way to the my local HD dealer.
Hearing about it really made me stop and think about riding, about life, aboutfamily and about how quickly it can all just disappear.

Joe

Old 10-17-2007 | 08:19 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

I know sorry won't bring your friend back, but sorry. I always keep my wheels straight. Never knew that this could potentially save someone's life. My mom just got rearended at a stop light awhile back because some high school kid was taking a bite of his sandwich. It's always some stupid reason like that. [:@]

Old 10-19-2007 | 06:51 PM
Primo
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, Brothers and Sisters.

Primo

Old 10-19-2007 | 07:18 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Sincere condolences and prayers.

Old 10-19-2007 | 07:32 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry to here about your friend .

I was taught to keep my wheels straight back in driver ed class in 1972 . I've always done it cause it made good sense .
My son took Drive Right a couple yrs back because the drive ed class at school was too booked up .
Guess what they teach you there? Turn your wheels to the left while waiting to turn left .
I set him straight on that rightaway . Nothing gets my shorts in a knot quicker than seeing that or being a passenger in a vehicle when someone doesit .

Quick Reply: Keep the wheel(s) straight before turning left