General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You Police officer!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:09 PM
69Shark
|
Tourer
Default Thank You Police officer!

Barreling up 405 today on the way home traffice was MOVING . . .
In turn I was in the car pool lane moving even faster . . . . .

You were there and I saw you.
Your radar was pointed right at me.
I was clearly speeding even after slowing down . . .

As I rolled by you relaxed your radar, stood up and made eye contact with me . . .
Your eyes and head followed me as I passed you.
I knodded . . . .
Your look said it all. Less than impressed I might say. BUSTED is probably more acurate . . .

The ticket could have been expensive. Not only the bill but the added insurance costs . . . .
Yet you simply let me roll on by.

For that, Thank you.

Scott

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:17 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Thank You Police officer!

all that tells me ,, he's proby doin your OL!!!!!

seen it a bazillion times!

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:41 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

I was 17, in High School. I was driving my white TR4 with ahhhh.... "Elan"!!! And I was scorching along a twisty road that circled Lake Osborne. My tires were very wide (for those days) radials, recapped with an extra sticky compound by a company in Delray Beach (12 bucks each, and they wore out a little faster, buy Oh My... did they Stick to the road!!!). I was testing "adheision" to the limit (with some margin of safety left over, of course!!!)

I came upon a Sheriff's Deputy in the oncoming lane... He waved me down. We stopped driver's side to driver's side... He said: "I know it's fun... but please slow down"!!! We both grinned... I thanked him and said I would. We went our separate ways...!

I've never forgotten that day... And I've never forgotten my parent's guidance as a kid... A Policeman is your friend! There are some that may disagree... and there are some Cops (as it is with ALL of us) whom we may encounter after having a "bad day"...!

Sounds like you had a good experience! Since you can't be certain this particular LEO will read your "Thank You"... my suggestion is: Just pay it forward!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon (who may sometimes be accused of having a "Pollyanna" attitude toward life, but who also believes that it falls under the "Biker Way" of "Give Respect to Get Respect"... Sorta like "Do Unto Others", isn't it???)

Old 10-17-2007 | 05:55 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

How many pages do y'all suppose this will make, before it turns into a cop bashing thread?

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:06 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

I hope it stays positive , I also have received a few breaks, when I could have been ticketed, and given only a warning. I usually was doing 10 mph over, in the wee hours of the morning on an empty hywy, commuting to work as a baker. They were usually looking for DUI's, and I was not rude with them during the stop.
I must say, I do believe most LEO are out there to protect and serve, not search and destroy, unless your behaviour or circumstances dictate they should.

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:12 PM
Ricks Ride
Road Captain

Quite often, I will do the same. The guy knows he's caught, I know he's caught and eye contact and a little nod is often all it will take. Voluntary compliance is all you're after. Youlet that guy go, and wait for the dude zipping from lane to lane cutting people off without using a turn signal, now that is the guy who will cause the firey crash that will get people hurt. Glad that you had a positive experience AND that you were man enough to admit that maybe you were going fast enough to justify a face-to-face. That kind of honesty will usually get you a break too if you do get stopped. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:17 PM
x2lee
Banned

I give it2 pages? Theres nothing better than a cop letting you ride when you know you deserve the fine.
It just makes your day...
ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

How many pages do y'all suppose this will make, before it turns into a cop bashing thread?

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:22 PM
jayc
Novice

A few years ago, back when I was living in Massachusetts, a state trooper pulls me over doing 74 in a 55 on I495. He comes up to the car window and says to me '74 in a 55'. I said 'that sounds about right.' He comes back 5 minutes later all he says is 'warning' and hand me the written warning.

Moral of the story is, don't try to BS a cop. They've probably heard it all.

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:23 PM
69Shark
|
Tourer

Yes, it was a good experience.
Funny how you can pass someone and have them say SO much with just a look.
I'm glad to share . . .
Scott

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:24 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Quick Reply: Thank You Police officer!