General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
ghowell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Cam Question

I decided to bite the bullet and install gear-driven cams. My bike is an 06 Ultra, stage 1. We do a lot of long distance riding, 2-up most of the time. I'm doing this upgrade primarily to eliminate the cam chain tensioner crap shoot. 3 questions...
1. My dealer is recommending the S&S 510 kit. Good choice?
2. They are also recommending the adjustable push rods. Is this really necessary? Is it a smart upgrade to do at the same time?
3. They are quoting 7 hours of labor which puts the entire install up around $1500. Typical, too much?

Thanks in advance for your help. I did read everything I could find about the GD cams. Still needed to ask my specific questions. Thanks again...

Old 10-17-2007, 03:27 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another Cam Question

I had the S&S cam gear drive kit installed along with Andrew's TW-37G cams in my 03 FXD. The cost was in the ball park of your estimate.

I am neither recommending nor not recommending37's for your setup. My FXD is a light bike that has the majority of it's riding done solo. The cam's work great for me in my application.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 510 in mine and they work great just did a 2200 mile ride 500 mile days ran great good mileage. cost me 1300+ 3 hrs labor but I think they screwed themselves about 1 hr. yes I went with the adj pushrods and you also have to get new tubes to fit them one reason to go that way is they just cut your old ones on half saves taking the heads off..

Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
tobyhd1
Tourer

If you just cut the original pushrods you only have to remove the rocker boxes and rockers,the heads stay on.Only if you get the "time saver pushrods" you don`t have to do any disassembly of the top end.If you put the adjustables on now while you`re in there,if you ever want to do any further mods to cam chest(different cam profile,oil pump,etc.)you just saved a bunch of disassembly time and gaskets,pull the tank,blah,blah,blah. Personally,I would go with the (regular)chrome moly adjust. pusdrods from Crane,Andrews,because the adjustment part is shorter( main tube longer)i.e. stronger.Toby

Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Get the adjustable pushrods as others have said. The SE's come with new outer covers so you can still adjust them fairly easy. I would consider the HQ 34 or 39 cam or even the Andrews 26 cam for a bagger doing two up touring. The adjustable pushrods will be about $120, the cam will be about $300, the four gear set will be about $450 or so, and the cam installation kit will be about $35. The only other thing needed is exhaust gaskets because you need to drop the exhaust to do this. If you can do it yourself, it can be done for just under $1k. Cam changes at the dealership where I work is a 4-5 hour job quote.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ghowell

I decided to bite the bullet and install gear-driven cams. My bike is an 06 Ultra, stage 1. We do a lot of long distance riding, 2-up most of the time. I'm doing this upgrade primarily to eliminate the cam chain tensioner crap shoot. 3 questions...
1. My dealer is recommending the S&S 510 kit. Good choice?
2. They are also recommending the adjustable push rods. Is this really necessary? Is it a smart upgrade to do at the same time?
3. They are quoting 7 hours of labor which puts the entire install up around $1500. Typical, too much?

Thanks in advance for your help. I did read everything I could find about the GD cams. Still needed to ask my specific questions. Thanks again...
I have heard (on this site) that gear drive cams cause unwanted vibration.
The newer H-D cam chain setup has eliminated the problems with the earlier design.
I just installed Zipper`s RedShift 575S cams (chain drive) in my 2007 FLHX with the adjustable push rods.
I would recommend to update to the adjustable. The OEM set are a fixed length.I removed my rocker boxes to perform the installation and would advise anyone to do the same. I have not completed the installation, but should have it done by Friday.
Good luck in your choice. I would not recommend skimping on the push rods. I would also advise to use a chain-drive set of cams unless your building a race motor. JMO...

Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, 7 hours labor is a little steep if they are using adjustables. Four hours would me more like it in my book.

I ride two-up and loaded heavy quite a bit. I put Andrews 26G's in my bike and really like the bottom end grunt they provide.

Adjustables worth it? Maybe, maybe not. The money works out about the same.....2 extrahours of labor to use the fixed rods or 125 bucks or so to buy a set of adjustables.

I put in adjustables. I did the work myself and tightened the crap out of them. 2k miles after my install, I had one loosen on the interstate. I ended up getting a trailer ride home, because one of them bent when the engine kicked back on it. I put in a new one and adjusted the other three again using blue loctite ( yeah, yeah, somebody is gonna say it isn't needed or shouldn't be used on pushrods). At any rate, that was 2 year and about 15k miles ago and I haven't had one loosen since.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 AM
LowRyder
Cruiser

I think the 510s would be a good choice and adjustable pushrods. You can get great low end torque if desired. The labor seems a little high IMO. BTW, I have no noise problems from the gear drive cams. =)

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

1500$ for install! way too much!

Ill do it for 400$ if you bring her to LA!, yes you need the pushrods.

as for cams, with a heavy bike Id do the Head Quarters 0034 cams as a first choice, Woods T6 second and Andrews 26 third.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going against the crowd and say no to pushrods. They are convenient but thats one more thing to have to adjust, and a good tuner I know advised me against them because of added weight in the valve train.

Quick Reply: Another Cam Question