Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I do to my bike when I put it up for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do I do to my bike when I put it up for the winter?

Use Sta-bil

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3233

Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Buschman
Stage II

Hey Bobby:
Ok here you go, how to winterize the ole hog, wanna do it right, first use a oil flush and run it in the engine, this will assure you have cleanse the sole of the engine, change the oil and filter with the high dollar H D oil or here's the secret Kendell oil has the same viscosity as HD oil. You local dealer will sell you your filter or check on-line at J C Whitney and save (they have chrome).
In Michigan, Stabil is better than your deer camp cook use it!!! and a full tank of 2 up gas is the best, always.
You MUST have a battery tender on the battery otherwise the cold days your sitting by the fireplace in upstate N.Y. dreaming about the days when A-Rod was a Yankee, your battery is losing valuable juice to the cold and its like a old mans hair it just gone.
If your storing the summer beast inside your garage place some thing under the tires, carpet, roof shingle are the best because they resit moisture.
A light film of Teflon style wax is the best because it does not become filmie (not sure if that is a word)during the winter and keeps water from drawing, oh I forgot, everyone wants to wash the man toy before the winter nap, thats ok but use your air compressor to blow all that hiding water otherwise rust time in those hidden spots.
Well hope that all helps, after 55 years of Michigan winters and putting away classic cars boats and campers I have spread my wisdom.
Buschman
Norton Shores Michigan

Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
VegasBruce
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: AZ Rider

What is this winter storage you speak of?

[sm=badbadbad.gif]
I don't know, if it gets much cooler in Vegas I might need a jacket.

cajunrph I'll trade your 90 and 90 for my 125 and dry, any time.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:07 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't let these guys make you feel bad about winterizing it. One ride in the salt and crap and you will cause a ton of damage to the bike. It ain't the cold, it's the salt.

I put fuel stabilizer in the tank, fill it up. Run it until the stabilzer is in the lines. Wash and wax. Change all fluids. Fog cylinders through plug holes, roll it into garage on a piece of rubber barn mat (goes in stalls, under cow/horse feet), cotton cover, battery tender and that's that.

In the spring, after two decent rains to wash off the roads, I fire it up and head out.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

Im up in upstate NY, and its getting colder by the day and in a month or soI'm probly going to have to stop riding til spring.

This is my first harley so im not sure what people usually do when they set it up for winter storage.
Its going to be kept in a garage and covered I know for sure, but Im not sure on what to do to it

Should add a fuel stabilizer, or run the tank dry etc...
Should I take out the battery and store it in my cellar?

Any advice would be appreciated
put a battery tender on it and keep the battery charging. fuel? drain it and run it dry if the bike will sit for several months. modern fuel blends are "watered" down and will varnish very quick

Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Here in Chicago where it gets pretty damn cold, I use Stabil in the tank(full as it will go). This helps to keep it from getting condensation and rusting the inside of the tank. It doesnt hurt to change all the fluids. If nothing else, change the oil and gethe bikegood and hot before you shut it down for the winter. Gets rid of the condensation in the pipes and engine.
Battery tender, and it doesnt hurt to pull the plugs and shoot alittle WD 40 or some such in there. Turn it over with the plugs out after you spray the WD 40.
Fill the tires to max pressure, and it doesnt hurt to get it off the concrete somehow. Plywood, carpet whatever.
Make sure its good and clean too, that makes the first time out feel great!!

MikeM