General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers during the winter months

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:10 PM
FXDIinMD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers during the winter months

I’ve been shopping around for my new ride… moving up to the Touring class… here’s my dealer experiences for dealers near me.

I test drove a FLHTC at a dealer in PA…. offering the 0 down deal or $1k of “free” accessories. Good price of 20100 out the door for a two tone model (plus free first service, 15% off everything in the store the day of delivery, except bikes of course)

Off to dealer #2… 06 in Vivid Black… Chrome front end kit… 22k… 0 down deal too but nothing other than that… nada… zip… you might get a shirt out of ‘em at gun point.

I took my best deal to another dealer… that’s when I first laid eyes on the Fire Red and Black Pearl… I talked to the sales guy there… and told him that I was shopping dealers not bikes. I told him of the deal at Lancaster… the price of the bike… accessories… free first service…. And all that. He informed me that they didn’t have any deals or promotions going. To which I replied “why should I bring my business here”.

He proceeded to show me around the place… very nice place… they have Dyno and sniffer… all techs are MI grads and have been to HD U… nice people.

That’s all fine and dandy… but as a poor consumer… money makes the deal for me. I told him that if he couldn’t beat the deal I can get in PA, which anyone can get there, then they stand to lose business… which means lose money.

Alright he says… and wants me to give him a chance to talk to the powers that be to see what he can do.

Yep, he called me the next day to tell me that “you win”… accessories and all… he was authorized to make the deal “whatever it takes”.

After taking with all these dealers… it seems that the times are changing. There may be no bargaining on the price of the bikes, MSRP is MSRP… however, to make the sale, at least during the slow winter months, you might be able to get something out of the dealers that in the past was impossible. The attitude, at least now during the winter, of “if you don’t buy it, the next guy will” doesn’t seem to apply since during my stops at the three dealers, I was the only customer in the place at two of them. Buyers seems to be scarce this time of year.

Moral of the story; it may be a good idea to shop and deal now. Shop your best deal around and see what you can get out of 'em!!!

Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 PM
lennyeagle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealers during the winter months

well being in the bussiness in the winter its like selling ice too eskomos. that is the way it is but it gives us time too get ready for the spring.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many dealers are now selling bikes at or below MSRP plus added incentives like $1000 in free accesories etc. There is a huge flood of new and used bikes on the market. THey are not selling as well as they would make you think. Walk in with a bank check made out to the dealership thats $500 under MSRP for the bike you want and you will get takers. Play one dealership off another to help your cause, just make sure the delaerships arent under the same ownership. HD's are like Ford cars now. The "Harley" bike fad is starting to pass now. More and more people are starting to take a second look at the "dinette set".

Old 12-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Scotto
Banned

Not sure winter has anything to do with it. I picked up my 05 in April at MSRP, free first service, 20% off for a purchase of anything in the store, two Tshirts and a key fob. I kinda thought this stuff was standard at all shops.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:00 PM
JeffD
Tourer

I bought my 05 in late March, and got 20% off anything I bought from the dealer for 30 days after buying the bike. They have since ran 15% off deals every now and then on parts and clothing that is in stock. Even at 15% off the dealer is making money. I have a relative that works at a Harley dealer in another state, and can get 30% off of clothing. I bought a new jacket with her deal. Even then they are still making money on the deal.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish they had deals like that out here. I was there with the check in hand and they let me walk out.
In fact when I eventually went back, they sold 2 more bikes with me standing there.

I guess the snow has a good effect on your wallet. Then again, it rarely gets below 40 here during the day, so no slow season.

I don't believe sales are slowing down, it seems that everyone I know is buying a bike. Many buying HD that I would never have imagined would.

At the cost of the harley, you can get a dinette as well and nobody would even notice! So much for that commercial.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser

I think sales may slow a little, but Harley knows how to pull back on production just in time to tame the buyers. good deal, msrp, 15% off accessories, freight and first service free? no added dealer fees!!!!!!!! and most import a good honest dealer that treats you right.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Renegade
Tourer

Glad to read that you got a deal you can live with. The prices we pay are ridiculous. It feels good to get some goodies with the purchase.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Beefcake
Tourer

Yet another reason why I will never do business with an HD dealer.....I only deal with independent shops and mechanics. The next bike I buy will be a used one again. I'm not even interested in walking around a dealership and seeing what they have to offer. Everything they sell can be found online for a lot less. Screw the motor co. They have no loyalty to you so why should you show them the same consideration?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
electricuter
Cruiser

Its funny how these dealers open up their generosity and try to be nice,but what ticks me is after purchasing my 04 road king in april/04 I now recieve a letter from the dealer stating they like to thank all their customers and are willing to give me a 15% dicount on puchases until Dec 24/05(Hmmm letsee thats about 10 days to shop for the discount)Heres the catch,excluding engine parts,new bike purchases and labor.How pathedic especialy when they say they made record sales this year.They could atleast give me a bottle of scotch I'd be a happy camper
That ticks me off!!