General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE TRUTH ABOUT HARLEY DAVIDSON PERFORMANCE

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts
Default RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT HARLEY DAVIDSON PERFORMANCE

Got back from some nice ridin and grinnin the past few days and see all these statistics and numbers about bikes, lunar tides,life expectancyrates and whatever they are. Started to take the numbers out to the garage and share em with the bike and see what we should be concerned about... but the bikefeels there are more important things in life anddoesn't care any more than I do.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I missed putting down the stats for the Victory's that MCNews has tested, as I didn't see any. This morning I found them under Polaris (duh!), so here they are. It's nice to know that if Harley's are going to be beat, at least it's by the other American bike! I don't know the exact engine size on these, as it's not listed, and both of these models are considerably lighter than a Road King, and are more in the style of a V-Rod rather than a touring bike.

ModelDateTested Hp Torque Weight 1/4 Time/speed

Vegas 8/03 70 87.5 661 12.56 @ 105.64
Hammer 8/05 73.1 90.8 703 12.79 @101.64

Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Dizzy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take is this, I drive a '98 Electra Glide standard with 70k mi, a comfortable reliable touring
machine that is not fast but a satisfiying enjoyable ride. My previous bike was a 1999 Kawasaki 1500
Classic that had more torque and a smooth shifting tranny, however the front and rear suspension was shot
at 20k mi, the carbs were a constant problem with sticky floats, the clutch lasted 15k mi, and finally the
oil gear (plastic) in the engine failed at 23k mi and stranded me out in the middle of nowhere, requiring
an engine overhaul. At this point I couldn't give it away fast enough. To me this was not the reliable Kawasaki I expected.
My FLHT, even with it's EVO motor and clunky tranny, is a much better machined bike albiet a bit slow.
Harleys have some performance issues, but are still better built bikes than the over-rated metrics.
Specifications don't tell the whole story.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 AM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

IF I want to go fast I ride my Gixxer...
IF I want to go on a long trip I ride my ST1100
IF I want to have fun I ride the pig........

They all do what they were intended to do.......some just do it better or easier than others.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Harley Davidson motorcycle can be really fast. That is if the person behind the wheel is talented. Sure, you can buy a 'busa and smoke average riders, but I have seen HD riders smoke GSXrs in the turns because they know how to drive better. Yes, you CAN lean a big cruiser in the turns.

That said, one reason why I bought an HD is because it's not that fast and I'm not going to kill myself on it. I can keep up with my friends who own a Bandit and an FJR, so I see no reason to buy a bike that is all that much faster.

Besides, even the slowest HDs are fast compared to cars.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a link here some time ago to a video of a GW ripping through Deals Gap. This guy was draggin everything but the mirrors! I personally took a '95 Ultra on a group ride with mostly sport bikers. There were 3 guys that fell back behind me! So, what you say is true-it's all about the rider.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The reason young people don't all buy Harleys (many do) is they can't afford them. The ones who keep riding will make the switch.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my HD and don't care how fast it is. If I want to go fast I get in my 90' vette. I feel the flames at my feet now!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
CarolinaDoc
Intermediate

Great points about speed. Just not necessary to rip down the highway. No need for people to get so worked up, a motorcycle is JUST a seat on top of a motor with a couple of tires.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mp

The reason young people don't all buy Harleys (many do) is they can't afford them. The ones who keep riding will make the switch.
What is it with this delusion that many Harley riders seem to have. 99% of the people who ride sportbikes do not want a cruiser, Harley or other. Young people are into performance, something that Harley doesn't offer. It can't be that hard to understand.

Quick Reply: THE TRUTH ABOUT HARLEY DAVIDSON PERFORMANCE