General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crackdown on loud pipes in Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 03:14 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Crackdown on loud pipes in Arizona

ORIGINAL: millzog

Oldfartjc ..........man just kidding with you no biggy
And I thought that even coming in on the Cavecreek road side that the 1st part still is Carefree until you almost get to the bend then it turns into CaveCreek ? So you can get nailed on both sides for the noise. Scottsdale and Cavecreek rd.
I know you were kidding. That's what I thought too about Carefree so I don't know now. I'm curious about that now so I am going to have to check on that.

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:30 AM
Snakum
Cruiser

Like some other folks here, I too am often annoyed when some spode with straight pipes is testing his rev limiter or constantly blipping the throttle at a light (on an EFI engine no less)when I'm an an outdoor eatery or hanging in the park or some other wimpy-azz thing I do with the wife. It's almost as annoying as thoseLOUD-AZZ stereos the bro-hams leave on full blast when they walk into the convenience store [sm=chairshot.gif]

As far as I'm concerned, they could set noise level limits and start handing out tickets left and right as long as they include all the offenders, and not just key on the straight pipes.

Old 10-15-2007 | 08:42 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

You can't blame the cops. There aren't enough of them to write tickets for all the noise violations anyway. Most of them probably dislike spending time on that BS. However, once numerous complaints reach city/town councilmen's ears, pressure is placed on the Chief to take care of it. So they do enough to take the pressure off.

There were bikes that blasted past me in MB the other week that actually made my ears hurt. Multiply that by dozens (or hundreds) in any town inhabited by people who may not like motorcycles (or motorcyclists) anyway and what would you expect to be the result? Loud pipes are becoming a target in dozens of cities and towns across the country.

If your response is to not visit one of these places in hopes of starving them of revenue, then soon you won't have anyplace to go! The best solution is to re-install those baffels and ride responsibly. Now flame on.

Old 10-15-2007 | 11:58 AM
PhoenixClassic
Cruiser

For those of you that know the Hideaway - there's a sign on the wall that shows a Harley with the exhaust pipes tied in a knot...kinda says it all

Old 10-15-2007 | 12:06 PM
PieceFrog
Cruiser

I'm still on the fence with this one. Have'nt been to Cave Creek in 6 months or so, may or may not now that I have to pass through Carefree. Besides, there's that place on Grand near Wittman that is very biker friendly now.

Honestly though, I believe a lot of the noise abatement remains more in the right wrist than it does with the muffler packing...

Old 10-15-2007 | 01:29 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

I was talking to a Maricopa County Deputy (who rides a staged 1 Street Bob with SEII's) a while back at a mens retreat about this very thing. He said they can hardly keep up with all the "ordinances" these little city councils come up with, not to mention the individual HOA's that abound in the jurisdiction of Maricopa County. He said when they are all read in the morning meeting, they are usually met with groans, or laughter. What has been said here is true, it's not the guy who is just riding through that this is aimed at, it's the individual or group that thinks it's cool to rap thier pipes unnecessarily just for the sole reason to bother people. Same as the car stereo doofs. I'm not gonna stop making that ride.

Old 10-24-2007 | 01:13 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

It IS difficult to not blip my throttle under the various bridges though......

I've only been up to Cave Creek a few times. Wasn't really that impressed anyways.

When that ordinance came up, it was blasted pretty quickly because it was specifically geared towards motorcycles; they changed the signs around to make it sound like they would target anything over 80db. It still seems to me though that if you keep it tame (regardless of where you are), you probably won't be hasseled. Now if you are crusing at 4500rpm in 1st gear down Cave Creek Rd with open pipes, I think someone is going to pull you over.