General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost saw a Fistfight Cause Guy Touched Another Guys Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Almost saw a Fistfight Cause Guy Touched Another Guys Bike

Can't let this one go without a comment.
I'm not one that would get stupid with somebody for touching my bike, or car etc. But, I feel that it is totally rude and I have always felt that it has a lot to do with their upbringing and just a simple lack of respect for other people's property.
Our Harleys are typically on display at bike events and quite often, people will come up and put their hands all over the paint etc. My thoughts have always been that most of these people probably think that these bikes are "company owned" and therefore it's ok to touch and sit on them. But I'll never understand why some people have to "see" with their hands.
The reality is however, that these bikes belong to us and we take a lot of pride in keeping them looking brand new. At the Lonestar Rally, a man came up and got right on my streetglide and started messing with the controls etc. I didn't say anything because I am representing a company, but thought to myself, this idiot doesn't have a clue - he's probably one of those mouth breathing idiots that drives in the left lane.
A woman came up to my bike at a show and ran her fingernails down the tank. Damn...
Summary: I'll never understand some people and their behavior, but I wouldn't make a major scene over it unless they intentionally damage my property.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Greybeardrider

ORIGINAL: lp

You know...my sports car got rear-ended. Smashed the thing all to hell. I love that car. And for some reason I didn't get out and kill somebody...call me crazy.
Then one day some guy walked up to my bike and the bastard actually touched the handlebar. I walked right up to him and in my big bad *** macho voice I told him...
"You like those bars?" He said Yes Sir. In return to that freaking sarcastic response I really gave it to him. I said "They are Chubby Wild1's".
Guess he got the message because then he said, "Cool man thanks...think I'll pick up a set".

Start to see a pattern?

It's called being a decient human being. People make mistakes.

Beatsomeones *** for "touching"a bike? Freaking lame...

lp

I gotta agree with lp on this one. I don't get this super-macho thing a lot of guys keep saying about someone "touching" their bike.
Granted, if someone sits on my bike, without asking, I'll be "talking " to them, and they will understand, in no uncertain terms, it aint cool.
It's no different than somebody getting in your car in the parking lot, and "checking it out" without permisson, but just to touch your bike, maybe seeing how those grips feel, touching the seat to see how soft. Where's the harm? If somebody's interested in my bike. I'll be glad to tell them all they want to know, not threaten them just for being too close to it!
We all love our Harleys, but it is just a piece of machinery, not an irreplaceble piece of art!........Am I wrong here? Are we thatsnotty?
+1

Just for me, people are much more important than things.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

got the same decal on my truck, car and bike windshield; "If you value your life, as much as I value this (truck, car, bike). Don't F... with it!"

Old 12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

celticgent, if they want to....i think i would have fun after.....
what good does menacing decals on a bike do??? come on,,,,move away from my bike or i'll throw my hot frothing cappuccino on you and slap you until my writs ache.....where's the lesbian bikers bulletin board, i think i have more in common with them....

Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man terry chill out we know your one bad ***, son of a gun, (atleast you say you are) we are talking flyers, not touching bikes are no different than cars, and trks, i woulden`t touch anyones ride no matter what it is, including stepping on someones front yard ITS A FLYER

Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it's all about ***** envy

Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Sith1250
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have said it before...my bike is like an extention of myself. My personal property, and my baby. Would you just let some strange person pick up youre child?

I mean there is no reason to beat the guys' a$$, over it..but to respectfully inform him/her that its not proper motorbike etiquette to sit on someone else's bike. Chances are they didnt know it was a bad move in the first place. If so, tell them "Its alright, just remember for next time" But if he/she comes off like an a-hole about it, rip him a new one. Follow propper use of force contiuum.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Captain Caveman
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Tactical1

went on a ride today and decided to stop by the local shop.

some dude was putting little flyers on bike advertising bike details. this little nerd got bent and went over to the guy and it almost went to blows.

the little nerdy guy chilled out and went on his way.

I hada flyeron my bike and just stuck it in my pocket. Not gonna throw a tantrum over that.

He got his just deserts. Hell I tazed my wife last week for turning her back on me during one of my lectures.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Captain Caveman

ORIGINAL: Tactical1

went on a ride today and decided to stop by the local shop.

some dude was putting little flyers on bike advertising bike details. this little nerd got bent and went over to the guy and it almost went to blows.

the little nerdy guy chilled out and went on his way.

I hada flyeron my bike and just stuck it in my pocket. Not gonna throw a tantrum over that.

He got his just deserts. Hell I tazed my wife last week for turning her back on me during one of my lectures.
thats some funny chit. i can see it now. "don't taze me honey, don't taze me honey!!!"

Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

I don't want anyone touching my bike, let alone sitting on it without permission. I don't want any stinking flyers on it either! That being said, I will be nice to anyone who wants to talk about the bike or ask questions. This last summer, I was in Tennessee riding up Stoney Creek near 421 and Mountain City. Me and my riding buddy were gassing up getting ready to ride over the mountains when a dad and his 8 or 9 year old son pulled up in a pick up truck. The little boy was looking at my bike with wide eyes and his dad said hello and said said his son loved Harleys. I asked the little boy if he wanted to sit on it. He smiled and said yes. I picked him up and put him on the seat. I saw his sneaker touch my pipes and told him to hold his foot out so it wouldn't touch the hot pipe. He sat on it for a few minutes while his dad and I chatted, then I lifted him off. My buddy and I went on up the road and stopped at Backbone Rock and I was giving my buddy some sh*t about the kid liking my Heritage Classic better than his Road King and noticed the burned sneaker rubber on my pipe. I sighed and figured it would just have to burn in until I got back home to Richmond, VA. My buddy observed, "No good deed goes unpunished". Yep. But I know that kid has some story to tell his little buddies and someday he may be riding his own Harley.
Tnicean

Quick Reply: Almost saw a Fistfight Cause Guy Touched Another Guys Bike