General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Fobar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with all the chrome?

I am putting this question to all harley riders for your honest response. I mean no disrespect and I would like your opinion.
I am not very PC so I will just ask the questions.

Why do most Harley riders spend so much money on adding chrome parts to their motorcycle of choice? My personal opinion is that the more chrome added the gaudier it gets. A little chrome here and there is OK, but come on, what is the deal withreplacing every part that can be replaced with chrome? The more chrome the more time spent polishing. The more time spent polishing means less time riding. I don’t waste my time polishing the chrome on my vehicles and I am sure not going to waste it polishing chrome on a motorcycle either. I see the purpose for a motorcycle is the pleasure you get from riding it. All the time spent polishing chrome doodads seems nuts to me. That’s wasted time that could be spent riding.

What I hope to find is a 2002, 2003 or 2004 FXDX, mainly because I like the blacked out engine, trans, etc. on them and I want bike with a carb. But even the owners of these black beauties pull off those beautiful black parts to replace them with chrome parts. I just don’t get it.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Stkman
Advanced
Default RE: What's with all the chrome?

To each their owen. I personnel don't want alot of chrome, the more painted parts black is the perfured color then all I have to do is dust it off. My bikes hardly see soap and water. A friend of mind would spend hours polishing the chrome on his bike and yes his bike looked sharp but I can't bring myself to spending that much time on chrome.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is such a thing as too much IMO. I think a chromed out engine and front end looks great. But when you start slapping on chrome covers on everything that is exposed it starts to be a little much.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some people like more chrome than others???

Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Cliff Diver
Advanced

My brother bought his Roadster took off the chrome and put all black parts from the nightster. Signals, taillights, stuff like that. Everything on his is blacked out. It is all a matter of how you feel and what you want your bike to be. I personally like a little of both. I will take a cover or two chrome and then another couple of covers powder coated black. Matter of your likes and dislikes.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I too am not big on a lot of chrome.But have to admit some of the bikes are gorgeous.Knew a guy once with an FLH that all metal was chrome.WOW

Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 AM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people like chrome. Some people don't. Do what you want to your ride and don't worry about what the next guy likes. I like the look of chrome and it doesn't matter who agrees with me I still like it

Old 10-13-2007, 06:53 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Its the same with salt on french fries.....some people like more than others. I love to see a tastefully chromed bike. There is a point where it becomes over done, and weird looking. Its hard to say where that point is, but when it is reached it becomes very evident instantly.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

Because I bought a Standard...too bland stock [:'(]
ORIGINAL: Fobar

Why do most Harley riders spend so much money on adding chrome parts to their motorcycle of choice?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 AM
blkdimon8
Tourer

It's a matter of taste, each individual does what he/she likes. That's why we all make our bikes ours based on individual preferences and to suit our personalities. Some people can spend hours polishing, cleaning their rides and some can spend hours riding, while others can sit andlook at their rides for hours. We all get a bike forown reasons ie; to keepup with theJones',bragging rights, etc.. whatever it maybe enjoy yours. Life is too short to start judging other folks and worrying about how gaudy some bikes look, eat dessert firstand go for a cruise.

Quick Reply: What's with all the chrome?