General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

The upshot of HD's lagging sales, inventories piling up and the upcoming Nov.plant layoffs is this....Price Reductions and Better Service. The company has to find a better way to move inventory, meaning sales.Like any other industry, take Real Estate for example prices are reducedwhen inventories are high (less demand). When there is short supply and greater demand...something HD knows all about, then pricesincrease.Service is the other big item. I've read it here on this forum a thousand times....service at my local dealer sucks. The parts guy isa jerk, the sales guys are price gouging, the service dept lied to me about a repair...etc..etc...etc... When sales are off in a big way and there's nohope in sight HD will have to work hard to improve service. When image aloneno longer sells 20-30k bikes, then service and pricemove to the top of the list.

Maybethis"cleansing" let's call it will be a good reminder to the folks back in WI who really matters at HD...it's the customers. All in all, the company will survive that I am sure of. Stay tuned for future advertising campaigns..I bet they try a new direction. Will it be more of the "black sheep" advertising or will it move more in to the mainstream? I think more mainstream. What about the shareholders? Once HD has lost their confidence to grow sales (in a declining market) they will move on to a different investment. The stock price would certainly collapse if investors drop the stock like a bad habit. We'll see what happens...should be interesting.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

I predicted this several years ago when HD was gouging to the tune of 4 to 5 thousand per bike. It's not going to hurt my feelings a bit to see some of the crooked dealers feel the pinch. Maybe some attitudes will chance.

Bill

Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Blame the dealers-they are the ones trying to sell over msrp

Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the economy,just about everything is being effected.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 AM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the three dealers that I dealt with while shopping for my bike, 2 of them told me straight out that they would not come off the sticker price of a new bike.

One even went on to explain that it would be better for me to buy my bike from them because they have a lot of "customer appreciation events". He forgot to mention that the events are always advertised on the radio as free to everyone...

I finally found a dealer that had the mildly used bike that I wanted and was willing to negotiate (just a little bit) and they got my business.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tda69

The upshot of HD's lagging sales, inventories piling up and the upcoming Nov.plant layoffs is this....Price Reductions and Better Service. The company has to find a better way to move inventory, meaning sales.Like any other industry, take Real Estate for example prices are reducedwhen inventories are high (less demand). When there is short supply and greater demand...something HD knows all about, then pricesincrease.Service is the other big item. I've read it here on this forum a thousand times....service at my local dealer sucks. The parts guy isa jerk, the sales guys are price gouging, the service dept lied to me about a repair...etc..etc...etc... When sales are off in a big way and there's nohope in sight HD will have to work hard to improve service. When image aloneno longer sells 20-30k bikes, then service and pricemove to the top of the list.

Maybethis"cleansing" let's call it will be a good reminder to the folks back in WI who really matters at HD...it's the customers. All in all, the company will survive that I am sure of. Stay tuned for future advertising campaigns..I bet they try a new direction. Will it be more of the "black sheep" advertising or will it move more in to the mainstream? I think more mainstream. What about the shareholders? Once HD has lost their confidence to grow sales (in a declining market) they will move on to a different investment. The stock price would certainly collapse if investors drop the stock like a bad habit. We'll see what happens...should be interesting.
I always here about the bad service on this forum, but have always had a good experience when Ive gone to th dealer. The folks have always been helpful and freindly, even when I havnt bought anything, and have only been picking there brains for info, and trying to figure things out.

Now that thats out of the way, why are you using the pic of the village people guy as your avatat? Its very disturbing.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
tjbintz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can definitely tell sales are lagging. At the local stealership several years ago you couldn't find new bikes and had to be on a waiting list. The salespeople basically ignored me each time I went in. Now a couple of weeks ago, the salesmen outnumber the customers and I had the hardest time getting away from them. All of a sudden I was there best buddy and they wanted to know everything about my riding, personal life, blah blah blah. They were trying so hard to get me to buy an '07 model; I just smiled and said I just bought mine from a private seller because the price was better than they could offer.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you could call it a cleansing but just like the stock market, there is also a term called a 'correction'. However you describe it, the end result is the same. Maybe the union finally sees that the company has to plan for hard times, maybe the employees tryto do things just a little bit better, maybe the management listens to the customers a little more and maybe the dealerships will actually be excited to take care of customers. All in all, pretty good for the consumer IMHO.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Maybe if we RUBs bought even more t-shirts and chrome...

Old 10-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Deus Ex Machina
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dennydp

Blame the dealers-they are the ones trying to sell over msrp
Yes but the dealers wouldn't be jacking the prices if us shmucks weren't willing to pay more...

Quick Reply: Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service