General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

ORIGINAL: tda69

ORIGINAL: Wally

A new baby boy!
Good for you Tom, I wish you much happiness with your two children and wife.
Wally! Hi there. Thanks. Yep...I'm a proud papa. I have two rug rats now running around the house. By the way, thanks for the pics. I got your email and I am enjoying the photos. Also, I found a bike like yours same year/color for sale either on eBay or Cycle Trader.....I don't remember which, but I was soooooo tempted to make an offer. Yours still is my favorite color. Love it.

Ya, I saw that bike too. Matye you should consider a paint job on yours. It's a better bike than a 99'. I'm thinking a street glide front and rear fender treatment , a mono color paint job with SG tank logo or a bar and shield ghosted into the paint on the tank.
A lot less money than another bike.
Mystic Green is the color, by the way, just in case you have to tell your painter.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tda69

ORIGINAL: Wally

Back to the discussion at hand. you want to see what the used market is like?
Check out craigslist or eBay.
Bargains all over the place.
Lots of folks on eBay that aren't realistic about what their bike is worth.
Many times, more than 50% of the bikes don't get bids anywhere near the buy it now price.
Lots of auctions end thousands less than the buy it now and never even clear the reserved price.
If I were in the market, I'd have a hard time buying a new one with dolled up , hopped up, low mileage cream puffs selling for what they are now.
Yes, I agree. There are a lot of low mileage bikes out there to be had. The owners don't always want to face reality that their bikes are worth much less than what they think they are worth. With so many HD's for sale, it really means buyers have more bikes to choose from. With more bikes than there are buyers...prices are coming down. Also, if the MOCO doesn't figure out something pretty soon to start moving their inventory it could also hurt the used bike market. With lots of 07's and now '08's sitting around...I would expect to see price cuts if inventory doesn't start to move.

There's a guy close to where I live who also has an '03 Ultra for sale. His bike has 16,700 miles on it. Guess how much he wants...........$16,700. We had several conversations about his bike and compared it to mine (same year/model) and I told him it was priced too high and that he'd need to come down $3k or more to attract buyers. Well....it's been 4 months and no buyers. He lowered his price to $14,900. Still no buyers....... Regardless of what KBB says the bike is worth,nobody will pay close to $17,000 for a nearly 5 year old bike when they can buy an '08 for only about $3k more and get a 96" motor, 6 speed and 6 gallon tank. At probably $13,000 his bike would be sold in less than 2 weeks.
Yup, I see you've been cruising the classifieds.
I find Craigslist has some great deals.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 AM
stevemet4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RICK,
Try to remember you were once a "newbie"... one can only become experienced by riding. The weak will weed themselves out and sell a beautiful low-mileage bike.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Davesurf
Cruiser

I'm a newbie,,,,,,no low miles here and I aint selling my bike 06 StreetBob with 26,000+ miles and all those miles are mine.

Was at San Diego Harley yesterday for the free lunch, that sales floor is packed pretty tight with new bikes. Sweetwater Harley still doesn't have much inventory since they built that massive place, guess they can't bring in bikes if they ain't selling what they got.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
hondo96inch
Cruiser

The boom is finally over and you would think dealers would get the hint. Not all have though.

I put a pc111usb on my new super glide. Go to the dealer and make a dyno tune appointment. Take bike in and the guy isn't there. Leave my phone number again and no call back.

Of course there is big money in dyno tuningbut these knotheads don't care. Maybe because I didn't buy the pc from them at list. Maybe I'm supposed to beg an authorized dynojet dynotuning center to dyno my bike ?

I've been dealing with three generations of good, bad, and sometimes ugly at Topeka hd. I must be a maroon or my memory is failing or both.

I'll be selling the super glide if I can even get a bid on ebay. Owning an hd is just not that important to me any longer.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:22 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some interesting comments. I would bet anything they are not going unnoticed. MoCo would be out of their mind if they didn't monitor this sight and atleast discuss some of the opinions. What good they will do is another question.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

Some interesting comments. I would bet anything they are not going unnoticed. MoCo would be out of their mind if they didn't monitor this sight and atleast discuss some of the opinions. What good they will do is another question.
That's pretty naive. I'm in the Oil &Gas business. Do you think we give one seconds thought to what the public thinks about the high prices of oil & gas?

Old 10-14-2007, 12:07 PM
hondo96inch
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: whaap

That's pretty naive. I'm in the Oil &Gas business. Do you think we give one seconds thought to what the public thinks about the high prices of oil & gas?
Right on concerning oil and gas. But we have to have oil and gas. We don't have to buy hd or any bike for that matter.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Tactical1
Tourer

The Rockster and Fat Bob are really gonna take off like a bat outta hell!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the reason why many dealers still won't come down on prices etc.. is that they know you'll be back. From many posts on other threads some would'nt care if their brand new bike leaked a quart of oil every 4 miles. By God and sonny Jesus Harley Davidson is American and their bikes are perfect and if you critisize them blah blah.....
My dealer has a 2006 Vrod for sale at full price. Guess they are'nt too worried.