General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service

Its your economy...

The Dealers here are 2-4000 over MSRP and they cant keep bikes on the floor. Mine rolled onto the floor at 8am and i signed papers on it before 9am.

Walk into the dealer every second day and they have different bikes on display. They figure they sell 5-6 a day consistantly.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: donk_316

Its your economy...

The Dealers here are 2-4000 over MSRP and they cant keep bikes on the floor. Mine rolled onto the floor at 8am and i signed papers on it before 9am.

Walk into the dealer every second day and they have different bikes on display. They figure they sell 5-6 a day consistantly.
Don't know where you live, but that is certainly not the case here in Central CA. The local Harley shops are about as busy as the Maytag man.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry i should have said Alberta, Canada

Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 PM
PowerJunkie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer in my town still has a couple of 2006s (brand new) still on the floor and about a dozen 2007s and they still have MSRP prices on the tags. Meanwhile, the Harley stock I bought at $72.25 a share is now worth a whopping $50.09 as of today. They sure don't mind discounting that now. Yep, Harley's managing to screw it's customers, investors, and employees all at the same time. Anyone remember what almost drove them out of business during the AMF days? Seems Willie G has forgotten.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Tactical1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couple of years ago the local dealer wouldn't even acknowledge your existance.

now they are all overyou.

I bought a new lamp there and they were trying to push extra stuff on me.

I kinda like the attention now.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot ofpeople bought Harleys with home equity loans. Now those same people are being foreclosed on and tons of used Harleys at good prices are available and its clearly affecting the dealer's new bike sales....my take anyways...

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Rambler
Tourer

bikes are jammed on the floors of most dealerships in S. CA

Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Easy Crossing
Advanced

I think the service, or should I say lack of service is whats killing the dealers. I have five dealers within a 100 mile radius, and all of them fight you tooth and nail when it comes to warranty.Even with their sales, as slow as it is, they could care less about their customers once they sell them a bike, afterthe salethey don't know you. Took my 2008 Heritage inyesterday for fogged passing lights, and was told the lights are not covered by warranty. Now thisis the same dealer that I have purchased two new Harley's from, and thousands of dollars in accessories, but that made no difference to them, they'd prefer to loose a good customer over a couple of light bulbs than to honor the HDwarranty. This is also one of the five dealers who have tons of 07's left on their floor, and their sales people, the ones that aren't laid off that is,are wondering why the bikes, including their 08's now,aren't selling.Isn't this the old definition of insanity with these guys? I do know they're trying to ride the Harley name back to recovery but maybe their ship is sinking this time around. I know the economy isn't the greatest but screwing or biting the hand that feeds them is not the thing to do, it'snow coming back to haunt them!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our local dealer never sells any bikes pretty much. Then again, they refuse to bargain at all, even if you tell them Chicago HD will offer you 800 dollars less than what they offer. They just mutter that Chicago HD is "ruining the HD name" etc. by selling the bikes that low. What a bunch of crap. Oh, and they only get a limited number of bikes in, so if you don't pre-order, you can't get your bike because they don't do trades with other dealers. My local dealer is good for gaskets and random doodads, but that's about it. Oh, and t-shirts.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Easy Crossing

I think the service, or should I say lack of service is whats killing the dealers. I have five dealers within a 100 mile radius, and all of them fight you tooth and nail when it comes to warranty.Even with their sales, as slow as it is, they could care less about their customers once they sell them a bike, afterthe salethey don't know you. Took my 2008 Heritage inyesterday for fogged passing lights, and was told the lights are not covered by warranty. Now thisis the same dealer that I have purchased two new Harley's from, and thousands of dollars in accessories, but that made no difference to them, they'd prefer to loose a good customer over a couple of light bulbs than to honor the HDwarranty. This is also one of the five dealers who have tons of 07's left on their floor, and their sales people, the ones that aren't laid off that is,are wondering why the bikes, including their 08's now,aren't selling.Isn't this the old definition of insanity with these guys? I do know they're trying to ride the Harley name back to recovery but maybe their ship is sinking this time around. I know the economy isn't the greatest but screwing or biting the hand that feeds them is not the thing to do, it'snow coming back to haunt them!

That's funny. We bought all 3 of our bikes at Chicago HD, and our local dealer just fixed my rear wheel bearings for free because they honor the warranty. They won't deal at all on new bikes, but they at least support the warranty. I've got decent service at my local dealer I guess.

Quick Reply: Lagging Sales & Huge Inventories = Sales & Service