General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is everone Anti-Mids

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is everone Anti-Mids

I think like many of you, one of the first things I planned to do when I got my new Harley was take off those mid-controls and replace them with forwards. Now, my salesmen talked me out of financing any addons with the bike, and just paying cash as I have it. So that is what I am doing. The pipes I want to buy will lock me into either mids or forwards (I currently have mids with highway pegs). I am pretty sure if I have to have one or the other (no highway pegs) I will go with forwards; they are what I am used to. What did really suprise me is how much more control I have with mids, how I can really lean into the turns and feel the bike. I have been scraping pegs right and left; it's great. I feel like I can go the the mids when I really want to ride, and use the pegs when I want to take it easy. I know some of you said that you are too tall for mids. I don't buy it, at least for most of you. I am a pinch shy of 6', and when I fist put my foor on those mids I felt like I was riding a bike two sizes too small. But really what that was, was control. Sure it looks a little goofy having my knee up by my elbows... But is I can really ride her.
I am really curious what you all have? Is pretty much everyone of forwards? Who stuck whith the mids and why? Those of you who ride aggresevly, what are you on? I am sort of thinking that sense I can going to hotrod the Dyna I will leave the mids as long as I can still keep my highway pegs with the mid-specific pip. If not forwards for me too...
What do you all have and why?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why is everone Anti-Mids

When I first got my 88 FXRS, it had mids and highway pegs. I spent all my time on the highway pegs and hated having to change position to use the back brake or shift. As soon as I could I switched to a good quality set of forward controls and never looked back. Incidentally, I could still carve up the mountains in Virginia/West Virginia with my forward controls.

Now that I have floorboards on an 06 Street Glide, I find myself grinding the heck out of em. Maybe I've always just taken corners a little "hot."

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mids because every bike I have ever owned had them. I would add highway bars or highway pegs later but retain the mid controls. I personally like the control better. Most of my riding is on hilly and curvy terrain.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if i had the choice now i woul have mids with highwa pegs. most highway pegs still allow you to heal the rear brake and its nic on ong rides to be able switch feet position

Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always had mids on my bikes. I like the fact I can stand up on the bike. Don't ask me why that is important. I think it has to do with getting off in a hurry, With the forwards it seems all your weight is resting on your butt with your feet out front. On mids it seems like you have better control with your feet under you. I know, its sounds dumb, but its what makes me keep the mids. To each his own. Not knocking forwards, just personal preferrence. my .02

Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
paulca
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pro-mids; so not everyone is anti-mids - so there!! However, mids are not an option on an FXSTC so I've learned to live with fowards. Though I admit I look a little strange perched on the gas tank to get better control / take pressure off the spine - but hey,it makes the bike a three seater and the shine on the tank is unbelievable.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I have both.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I prefer mids. Tried forwards once but never got used to them.. Have highway pegs so I can change position once in a while, but usually use the mids.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:43 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my bike used with forward controls already installed. I had to buy sturups(sp) to keep me from being completely straight legged. Now I am thinking of installing mids again if I can find the mounts in black wrinkle for a cheap price(free).

Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I think forwards look cooler, but from a riding standpoint I feel more in control with mids. I grew up on dirtbikes and progressed to sportbikes, so I'm used to having my feet under me. When I started riding cruisers a few years ago I got tired of how the forwards put too much weight on my tailbone (and reaching for the drag bars didn't help), and I was never as comfortable in the curves as I'd like to be (despite dragging parts). Anyway, I like the mids on my Dyna, and even at 6'3" I don't intend to switch to forwards anytime soon.
Ride what ya like.

Quick Reply: Why is everone Anti-Mids