General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a Bike Room in my garage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 07:39 PM
zzrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Bike Room in my garage.

Anyone done this? I want a place I dont have to worry about my bike getting bumped or stuff dropped on it. Also I can have one place for helmets, gloves, riding gear and all that other bike stuff. Anyone have any tips, suggestions ideas on how they have done things or would have done them different? Some pictures would be great if you have them.
The room will be about 12x12 with 6 ' door.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Building a Bike Room in my garage.

I have a 10x20 portable storage building that is supposed to be my shop. It is mostly storage for all the stuff the wife wont get rid of. Sometime back I built a 8x20 leanto on the side.

I'm working on enclosing that right now as a haven for everything that has gas in it. Lawnmower, weedeater, tiller, blower, and Harley.
Everything on it will be ground level so I can just ride right in instead of up the ramp.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Toytech
Tourer

Adding a room in the garage is a good idea. Just add padded walls for when you can't ride in winter. It will help prevent damage to your mind and body. All kidding aside we added a extra "mini barn" that matches the house. It is intended for the bikes only but also amazing is the ability for things to migrate out there and take up precious space in what my daughter calls the "Man Shack". When you build your space be sure to include a TV mounted about as high as your windscreen and in front of your bike. The rest is obvious. A fridge and comfortable chair complete the package. This way you can properly commune with your ride when in a meditative state of mind.

Joe

Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

We built a vacation/retirement house in Bullhead City Az. on the Colorado River. Our garage is 1200 sqft. (30x40). It is heated and air conditioned, with TV, Computer, intercom, and stereo hookups....and get this, a bathroom! The walls are studded 2x6. We have a 3200 cfm swamp cooler for most of the time, and the central AC is ducted down there if we need it. We have taps for soft water and drains in the floor for washing the boat or quads inside.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3757/81BBDDE57BA14B288B81D9A69C130232.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2005, 08:35 AM
spartns
Road Master

I use the 3rd stall of my garage. Built a workbench, shelves for helmets & cleaning supplies. Toolbox, etc. I store my lawn tractor in there as well. You can see it in the background of the pic.

Chris

[IMG]local://upfiles/1995/B69D7D1FF1BF499CBD83F645E36459DF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2005, 10:45 AM
liam51
Outstanding HDF Member

I Havent yet but you have a great idea for me to plan on. My only problem is that the three door garage, 24'x40' is always full of my other toys, especially in winter when the boat needs storage. Right now, my RK is parked ahead of my Kubota tractor, which is in and out often for snow removal. It worries me that I may hit the bike with the bucket when I return the Kubota to its parking place. I guess I need a bigger garage, or fewer toys....[&o]

Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: liam51

I Havent yet but you have a great idea for me to plan on. My only problem is that the three door garage, 24'x40' is always full of my other toys, especially in winter when the boat needs storage. Right now, my RK is parked ahead of my Kubota tractor, which is in and out often for snow removal. It worries me that I may hit the bike with the bucket when I return the Kubota to its parking place. I guess I need a bigger garage, or fewer toys....[&o]
i'd go with the bigger garage.

hey zz got enough room in your bedroom? j/k

2 years ago my dad built a 26 x 40 garage room for 2 mustangs 2 harleys computer sink oven fridge tv treadmill workbench and lots of other stuff i can't remember. o and hd memorabilia everywhere of course

Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

3 Car Garage here...

Heated in the summer, Cooled in the winter

Mac

Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get to use half of the garage for my bike, snow thrower, etc. and my wife parks her car in the other half.
Keep the RK under a Cycle Shelter. Not the best product on the market for dust protection, but better than sheets or a dust cover.

Oh yeah, my truck and my daughter's SUV have to stay outside.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:59 AM
D1LD
Cruiser

i dont have a garage but i did have a carport I eclosed half of it into a nice shed with all emenities i live out here my better half hates it i think

here is i pick looking in from the door
http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i...000_0110.2.JPG

here is looking from the back to the door
http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i...000_0111.1.JPG

it is a 26x16ft area mostly work bench but has Cable tv high speed internet phone bikes and you name it refrigerator stereo sourdn sound on computer for the great vids i looked at on this site

Quick Reply: Building a Bike Room in my garage.