General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was the oldest bike you ever saw actually being ridden?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What was the oldest bike you ever saw actually being ridden?

The Riding Into History Concours in St. Augustine, Florida has a vintage ride for bikes on display. Last year the oldest bike riddenwas a 1932 Triumph and the oldest rider was 94. If you ever get a chance to see this event, don't miss it. This is to bikes what Pebble Beach and Amelia Island are to cars.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
UltraClassic_2007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

ORIGINAL: UltraClassic_2007

Here is the oldest one that I have ever seen. I am not even sure it was a Harley. They have a company here in Europe that looks alot like a Harley called Moto Guszie (Or something like that) I just thought it was a cool looking bike.

THAT'S A KNUCKLEHEAD!!! It'smydream bike. My grandpa rode a 1945 knuckleafter the war. The oldest I've ever come across was a guy on a '46 knucklebroken down on the side of the road in a neighborhood one night. I almost couldn't believe I was seeing it. It was actually the first time I ever saw one in person. I pulled over and asked the guy if he needed help. He already had a buddy on the way to help and he only lived about half a mile away. He invited me to come over to his place and I shot the **** with him for a while and he let me sit on his bike. He also had a fullydressedearly 60s pan and a drag bike in his garage. I was as giddy as a school girl. The girlI was with took some pics but they are now MIA. I'll get them up one of these days when I find them.
Spike,

Thanks for educating me on the type of motorcycle. I thought about posting a "What kind and year of bike is this"but I never got around to it. I thought it was cool that this guy was just riding it in dowtown Garmisch Germany.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM
indianut
Intermediate

In 2001 I rode my 1937 Indian Chief to Springfield, Mass. from FLORIDA for the 100 year anniversary of America's First Motorcycle...Indian. After that I went to Sturgis, via the Mackinaw Bridge, then on to Yellowstone then back to Florida. 2 months, 8500 miles 9 Mountain Ranges and it NEVER SKIPPED A BEAT! All we ride are old Motorcycles. EVERY DAY....EVERY WHERE!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: indianut

In 2001 I rode my 1937 Indian Chief to Springfield, Mass. from FLORIDA for the 100 year anniversary of America's First Motorcycle...Indian. After that I went to Sturgis, via the Mackinaw Bridge, then on to Yellowstone then back to Florida. 2 months, 8500 miles 9 Mountain Ranges and it NEVER SKIPPED A BEAT! All we ride are old Motorcycles. EVERY DAY....EVERY WHERE!

SWEEET! thanks for posting the picture. 1,000 words, etc. etc.

-fish

Old 10-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea man that Trail OfTears was a killer
That bike was too cool,it was used by the Atlantic City PD back in the day.I had a BC from the guy with hs web site,but can't seem to find it.He had pics of the bike there.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:01 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep...that was just too cool......it was just amazing to see this 90 y/o bike running like it did......

...a 1917 HD and the guy was just motoring around on it.....like Mike said, when he fired it up on the second kick, we all about fell over.....

check out the tool box on top of the tank......

if ya wanna see some sweet vintage rides, check em out...www.flatoutvintagemotorbike.com

Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM
STREAK
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There was a single guy in our neighborhood that sold his Cisco stock at the right time. He had a collection of old Indians and always tooled around on 1 from the '20's (can't remember which year). I used to get a kick out of his collection, as he had 8 Indians, an Excelsier Henderson, and then also had an H1 and Lamborghini (sure I slaughtered the spelling on a few of these). He definitely likes his toys.

streak

Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 PM
xlr8rtwisted
Cruiser

My Bro's 56 Panhead on a 63 Duo-Glide

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...d/P1010209.jpg

For Sale BTW. 10G 1 primer kick and she fires everytime.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Buzz Kanter
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: NY Deuce

About 3weeks ago 87lowrider, kjriv, Inforit and his wife and I took a ride up to Bear Mountain & Harriman State Parks in Rockland County, NY. We had a great day riding around in the parks including riding down what I like to call "The Bear Mountain Dragon" and "The Bear Mountain Trail of Tears" (inside joke, ask 87lowrider about it if you want to know lol). We also rode some of the roads in the surrounding area such as 9W, Route 17, etc before heading for home.

On the way back we stopped at the Mobil gas station located at the traffic circle where Routes 6/202 and 9 all meet. After gassing up we were standing around talking for a few minutes when we hear this strange sound coming from the direction of Route 9. We all turn and watch in amazement as this guy comes riding south down Route 9 and turns into the gas station as we are all staring. This guy was riding an ancient bike, I'm talking a real museum piece here. None of us could believe that this guy was out riding around on such an old motorcycle. So of course we all mob the poor guy at the pump and are staring in disbelief at this old jalopy of a bike. This thing looked like it had been left outside rotting in some cornfield some where for 50 years, and maybe it had been. I mean it was solid rust from end to end and had plenty of dings, dentsand other damage too.Turns out this thing was a World War I era 1917 model HD.

We couldn't believe this thing was road worthy and that this guy was actually riding it around. Bad shape or not this is thekind of bike you see in a museum not pulling into the local Mobil station for gas. Now here is the kicker (pun intended) to the whole story. We finally give the guy a break and are nice enough to let him leave . He pulls out the bicycle pedal kicker and is attempting to kick it over. Would you believe this crusty, ancient, rusted, banged up mess of a Harley fired up on the second kick!!! [sm=jawdrop.gif]I about fell over right there. I thought the poor guy would have been there for at least 5 - 10 minutes trying to get it started again. If I hadn't seen it fire up on the second kick and the guy ride it away with my own eyes I don't know if I would have believed it.

So anyway, here is the reason for my post. I was just telling a friend this story the other day and it got me thinking. I wondered how many other HDF members might possibly have had a similar experience in the past. So if you have seen a really old bike actually being ridden on the road somewhere tell us your story. Where did you see it? If you can remember, what was the year, make and model?
Talk about a small world. The rider is Dave Fuziak, and he has a bunch of older Harleys, many of which are racers and not street legal. The funny thing is he was on his way to join a few of us for lunch in nearby Cold Spring. Yes, his 1917 J series Harley looks a bit rough (did you see the electrical tape on his old leather seat?) but it runs strong. After lunch I left him and a few other local "old bike guys" to pick up my 1948Harley Panhead about 10 miles away. I plan on restoringthe '48 over the winter and getting it back on the road in the Spring, possibly in time for Daytona Bike Week.

And to answer your questions, I've seenpre-teen motorcycles being ridden. The oldest I own and have ridden is an original paint 1924 Harley JDCA, which we did a "rustomration" project and followed in American Iron Magazine.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: kjriv

yep...that was just too cool......it was just amazing to see this 90 y/o bike running like it did......

...a 1917 HD and the guy was just motoring around on it.....like Mike said, when he fired it up on the second kick, we all about fell over.....

check out the tool box on top of the tank......

if ya wanna see some sweet vintage rides, check em out...www.flatoutvintagemotorbike.com
Yep that's the puppy,riders & non-riders were amazed when he pulled up on the bike.