General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was the oldest bike you ever saw actually being ridden?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What was the oldest bike you ever saw actually being ridden?

I'm sure I've seen some pretty old ones being ridden, But what comes to mind are the Harleys that the Seattle Cossacks do their demos on.
They're pretty old.

CN

Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a friend with a restored `47 Indian.......... Sweet machine !

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a guy ridin an old (restored) flathead at laughlin this year. Cant remember the year. Very cool.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A 1928 74ci,oil leaking, back firing, clickety clackety,handle bars too narrow,no brakes,sweet ride.The owner would not sell it.He bought it new.You read it right.Did I mention the tires were rotten and still held air.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 AM
paulca
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a picture I took of a restored Hendersonat Brooklands (was the oldest purpose made race track in the world).

More pictures of this and otherClassic & Vintage bikes in my "Brooklands" gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/paulca/brooklands

Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

A few years ago, maybe1999, we rode Hwy 50 across NV. we stoped in Ely to eat and there was a 1941 knucklehead in excellent condition setting in the parking lot. I ask about the bike and everybody in town knew the bike and the man. It belong to a man named Joe Serkit, who bought the bike new, never sold it and spoke of many years of riding that included riding to Bonneville to watch time trials. It was stock and started on the 2nd kick. Joe appeared to be was in his 80's.He was a walking service manuel on his bike and I loved talking with him. Everbody talks about what a biker is, Joe Serkit is a biker!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1920 Indian Scout. Rhett Rotten rides it all the time in his "Wall of Death" thrill show. Saw him last year. Oh, and I watched Rhett kick start the Scout several times. One kick each time.
www.wallofdeathinc.com

Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 AM
celticgent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was at Sylvan Beach (NY) "Bikes at the Beach" this past summer and there werethese guys who rode in on vintage bikes.

the oldest was a 1916 Harley Davidson.
another one had an Excelsior Henderson from the 20s or 30s
and the other one had a vintageMoto Guzzi (no idea...looked like it was from the 60s)

one of those times i wished i had a camera with me!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

In 2000 at the 60th Sturgis rally I camped with a guy from Alabama who had riden his old Knuckle there and back.
At the 95th I saw a guy at the original Juneau factory on a silent gray fellow, I doubt he had riden it far, it was a museum piece for sure, probably nicer than when it was new. After we talked a bit he fired it up and rode away.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NY Deuce

About 3weeks ago 87lowrider, kjriv, Inforit and his wife and I took a ride up to Bear Mountain & Harriman State Parks in Rockland County, NY. We had a great day riding around in the parks including riding down what I like to call "The Bear Mountain Dragon" and "The Bear Mountain Trail of Tears" (inside joke, ask 87lowrider about it if you want to know lol). We also rode some of the roads in the surrounding area such as 9W, Route 17, etc before heading for home.

On the way back we stopped at the Mobil gas station located at the traffic circle where Routes 6/202 and 9 all meet. After gassing up we were standing around talking for a few minutes when we hear this strange sound coming from the direction of Route 9. We all turn and watch in amazement as this guy comes riding south down Route 9 and turns into the gas station as we are all staring. This guy was riding an ancient bike, I'm talking a real museum piece here. None of us could believe that this guy was out riding around on such an old motorcycle. So of course we all mob the poor guy at the pump and are staring in disbelief at this old jalopy of a bike. This thing looked like it had been left outside rotting in some cornfield some where for 50 years, and maybe it had been. I mean it was solid rust from end to end and had plenty of dings, dentsand other damage too.Turns out this thing was a World War I era 1917 model HD.

We couldn't believe this thing was road worthy and that this guy was actually riding it around. Bad shape or not this is thekind of bike you see in a museum not pulling into the local Mobil station for gas. Now here is the kicker (pun intended) to the whole story. We finally give the guy a break and are nice enough to let him leave . He pulls out the bicycle pedal kicker and is attempting to kick it over. Would you believe this crusty, ancient, rusted, banged up mess of a Harley fired up on the second kick!!! [sm=jawdrop.gif]I about fell over right there. I thought the poor guy would have been there for at least 5 - 10 minutes trying to get it started again. If I hadn't seen it fire up on the second kick and the guy ride it away with my own eyes I don't know if I would have believed it.

So anyway, here is the reason for my post. I was just telling a friend this story the other day and it got me thinking. I wondered how many other HDF members might possibly have had a similar experience in the past. So if you have seen a really old bike actually being ridden on the road somewhere tell us your story. Where did you see it? If you can remember, what was the year, make and model?
Here's an oldie I saw at the Rock Store:

[IMG]local://upfiles/21444/E36CD56175FD45068DC6B1168087C984.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: What was the oldest bike you ever saw actually being ridden?