General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
richp5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire advice

I just got another nail in the rear tire. This is the 3rd tire in the last 12K miles that has to be changed based on the local (three separate dealers) dealer's policy. I'm wondering why a motorcycle tire can't be patched and new tube installed rather than having to buy new (about $300 for tire/tube/labor). As an aside, this nail is in the middle of the tire. I'd feel better about this if I got a second (and third and so on) opinion from you knowledgable riders whether a tire can be repaired or not. Thanx in advance for any responses!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Default RE: Flat tire advice

The main prblem is this: the "nail" in this case punctured through chords in the tire. These cords are now damaged in that small area. These chords are probably broken and could puncture a new tube or patch that is in the tire causing a major problem and a huge liability for the person or shop that repaired it.

There is this stuff out there that you put in the tire when new that seals the inside of the tire - it's like slime but this stuff dries and does not stay liquid like slime. This could be a viable alternative for you.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:29 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

It's a way to make $$$ as much as it is a liability issue. I have a good local indy here that repaired 2 ofmy tires. He will only do it if itis in a safe spot to repair. Charges me $15 a repair. I've run the tires another ~4,000 (each) after repair with not a lick of trouble. I changed them when they were due to be changed. I know lots of other folks that have as well. Of course, I'm an old lady and I don't ride like a bat out of hell all the time either.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Oh...I just remembered that I bookmarked this from Dunlop one time...
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...tips.asp?id=30

Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I may not wear a helmet but I depend on good tires for safety. Spend the $300. And where are you riding that you pick up so many nails? I have picked up one nail in over 100,000 miles and that did not go through the tread and cause a leak. Probably because I replace my tires every 10k miles.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have used a couple tires that have had nails in it. just used a new tube never had a problem. if you do get a new one though keep the old tire and give it to someone that cant afford no tire and their tires are bald.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Johnny Law
Cruiser

I've picked up three nails in the past 2 1/2 years.Replaced two tires. My last one I pluged and ran 8 thousand more miles for a life of a bit over 10,000 miles. I carry a compressor, and plug kit. If I could get someone to repair a nail puncture I would runa repaired tire.
JL

Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep,,read the flyer from Dunlop that came with the bike.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had tubless wheels, I would say plug it. But putting in a new tube, that might get damaged by the previous hole, I would not risk it. On a car, sure, but you only have two tires on a bike, and need them both. IMO

Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the link you provided: "In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted."

Does this mean that an emergency tire repair kit, shouldn't be used when on the road?

Quick Reply: Flat tire advice