General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help every time I ride I have to charge my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Help every time I ride I have to charge my bike.

ORIGINAL: Julz883

I have a 2006-883 sportster my warranty went out 10-9. My battery was new in March of last year. I cant figure it out I am having to either use cables or a battery charger to ride & get a jump when I am at work to leave. I disconnected the hot wire from the battery thinking hopefully it won't drain the battery I don't have the key or any light on anywgere but the battery is dead everytime I go to ride.Surely the battery is still good its only been9 months. Any ideas Please help I would like to fix myself before I take it to dealer.Thanks..julz883@yahoo.com
If you are going to disconnect the battery, you should be disconnecting the ground wire (black) not the hot wire.

Its not too unusual for a motorcycle battery toonly last one season, especially on bikes that vibrate a lot.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Julz883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the greaT ADVICE IT TRIPS ME OUT THAT i DISSCONNECT THE HOT WIRE & IT WILL STAY CHARGED OVER NIGHT & i CAN RIDE ALL DAY & DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY & IT IS STILL CHARGED THERE HAS TO BE A SHORT SOMEWHERE. I LEFT THE WIRE OFF ALL NIGHT PUT ON THIS MORNING RODE 70 MILES CAME BACK STARTED RIGHT UP AGAIN. AS LONG AS I DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY AFTER EVERY RIDE IT WILL STAY CHARGED. IT COULD BE A BAD BATTERY BUT THERE IS SOMETHING DRAINING MY POWER AS LONG AS IT IS CONNECTED. i WISH I WAS A HARLEY MECHANIC BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT HAS TO BE IN BETWEEN THE SPEEDO & BATTERY.YOU ARE VERY KNOWLEDGABLE THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE. julz883

Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You either have some accessory that is constantly draining even with the ignition off (add any accessory's lately?). Or you have a short somewhere like maybe the stator.

Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,695 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Here's something that might help - locate your fuse block and remove one of the fuses while leaving the battery cables connected. This will discharge the battery if the draw is not on the circuit with the pulled fuse and you will have to recharge the battery. If you pull a different fuse and the battery is charged in the morning, there is a good chance that circuit has a short and it should be easier to locate.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Hook an ammeter in line with the ground cable. With the key out, check for a current draw. Remove each fuse until the draw goes away. Once located to a specific circuit, replace the fuse, thenunplug each item on that circuit until the draw goes away. You have located the source of the draw-as long as it is on a fused circuit. Unfused circuits, you would follow the same process-just unplugging the consumers one at a time. Having said all that, your most likely culprit is the regulator/rectifier. A faulty diode will cause current draw, but not necessarily affect the charging function. This could also be spotted using an occiliscope. Good Luck.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kolni

The charging system runs the lights and so forth.

Not the battery. If it was the battery then the lights wouldn't work once you remove the battery with the bike running.

Either way, my point being that discounting the battery after the bike is running does nothing other then stop it from getting a charge.
Sorry Kolni but you are wrong and RHPAW is totally correct. If the charging system ran the lights and everything else after the bike was started then you would notice your lights getting brighter and dimmer as you increased and decreased your engine RPM's, and it would also play hell with the electronics on the bike or your car for that matter.
I just realized this post was almost a month old.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The battey also acts as a 'ballast' for the charge system. If you disconnect it while it is running, you can damage the regulator/rectifier. The same is true for alot of the newer cars. A shorted or disconnected battery can damage the diodes in the rectifier and cause a subsequent static current draw.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Fatboy931
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree. The alternator runs all of the electrical items on the bike andany left over energy is used to charge the battery. As far as the lightsgoing brighter and dimmer with engine rpm,the voltage supplied is controlled by the voltage regulator so the voltage remains fairly constant.