General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large Ride fuel stops... help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007 | 04:40 PM
rock5986
|
Tourer
Default Large Ride fuel stops... help!!!!!

Has anybody been on a very large ride that had to make fuels stops? I'll be pressed for time and need to gas up 50 or more bikes. I need some ideas, got any??

Old 10-09-2007 | 04:45 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Large Ride fuel stops... help!!!!!

I've never been in that position before but my only thought is to pick an intersection, townor exit that had multiple stations close together. Good luck with your "challenge".

Old 10-09-2007 | 04:46 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member

Couple different ways depnding on how far the ride is. Assuming everyone has gas when you start (fat chance) you plan gas stops for your least mileage bikes, like a peanut tank sporty. Try and pick stops with a few stations on multiple corners. With 50 bikes ... I would plan for 1/2 hour cause once they get off, there will be bathroom breaks etc.

You can set a limit of say 1/2 hour and those that aren't ready play catchup. Anybody that has to jump out of the pack to get gas while riding is SOL and has to catch the ride.

Old 10-09-2007 | 04:53 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Using the drop down box on a MapQuest map, you can find all gas stations in the towns you will be stopping at. Call the phone numbers and see how many available pumps they have, and whether or not they take credit cards at the pump.

The quickest way I can think of is to find large gas station/truck stop with multiple pumps, that accept credit cards right at the pump. Without a lot of pumps, no way will you fuel up 50 bikes in 1/2 hour. I think at a minimum you'd have to figure 5 minutes per bike per pump available.

Then figure in the bathroom.....Take that times 3 if women are with.

Old 10-09-2007 | 04:53 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

The way they do it with Run for the Wall is that each biker brings a wad of cash. The designated gas guy is the first in line and uses a credit card or whatever. Each bike pulls up and the gas guy gasses them up. After the gas up, the biker pays the lead guy the cash for the bike rounded up to the nearest dollar. That's the quickest way to get guys through the gas line. As far as bathroom breaks and sodas, can't help you much there.

Old 10-09-2007 | 05:00 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

The way they do it with Run for the Wall is that each biker brings a wad of cash. The designated gas guy is the first in line and uses a credit card or whatever. Each bike pulls up and the gas guy gasses them up. After the gas up, the biker pays the lead guy the cash for the bike rounded up to the nearest dollar. That's the quickest way to get guys through the gas line. As far as bathroom breaks and sodas, can't help you much there.
That's a great idea. Would you figure 2-3 minutes per bike using that method? Does the "rounded up" excess go to the beer kitty?

Old 10-09-2007 | 05:46 PM
Bluerose

Be careful to contact your credit card company before trying the one above....some won't let you take more then a certian number of gallons or $$...and may cut a person off for multiple fills (more then 2 or 3) at one station.

The idea of multiple stations in one areais a good oneespeically for those that prefer a particular brand. Be sure to have a meet area that will hold all the bikes once they are gased up...(like out at the end of a grocery store parking lot)

Old 10-09-2007 | 05:49 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

50 bikes in one group is nearly unmanegable . You will have cages trying to break into the pack. I would suggest you split them up into groups of 10-12 bikes, space the groups about 10 minutes apart, and then fuel stops are not a problem. You can even pick different stations for each group, and they will move fairly quickly.

Our chapter group rides use this method, and we normally gas, and bathroom break in under 30 min. per group.

Old 10-09-2007 | 05:54 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

you know them camelback water bags moutain bikers wear for thirst quenching,
well,,, have everyone use them for petrol

Old 10-09-2007 | 06:00 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

As Panhead posted it takes about a half hour for 50 bikes to get fuel and the bathroom breaks are the main time bandit. We try to find the large stations with multiple pumps and these normally have larger restrooms which have more than 1 stall. Once the bike is filled the rider pulls it to a open area and the next guy starts pumping.

As for filling on one credit card, Bluerose is correct. Many card companies have a $75 limit on gas purchases but it usually is posted at the pump.

Quick Reply: Large Ride fuel stops... help!!!!!