General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoptroll, need your help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Shoptroll, need your help...

I am attempting to move the headlight on the sportster out a bit kinda like you did for your dyna, but I don't have a shop or have access to one. My initial thought was to use pieces like the tank lift that Jackyl makes for softails but there were two problems. First off the 2" piece was too short to move the headlight out any measurable distance, second off the large hole in the tank lift is not large enough for the stud that comes out of the headlight. It is a 3/4 nut that goes on the stud, but I don't know how big the stud itself. is. I am not familiar with measurments of this variety. I will try to meaure it, but what I am asking is if you can fab up something for me. I will gladly pay you for yolur work. I guess it needs to be about 3 1/2" to 4" long and have two holes in it, one for the headlight stud and on for another bolt to hold it to the headlight mount. Seems pretty simple to me. I will try to draw it out if you are interested in making something like this. If not, thanks anyway and have a great day.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Shoptroll, need your help...

Have you considered one of the two extended headlight rings that Harley offers? One is extended and symetrical and the other is extended with an eye brow.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 PM
shoptroll
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I am attempting to move the headlight on the sportster out a bit kinda like you did for your dyna, but I don't have a shop or have access to one. My initial thought was to use pieces like the tank lift that Jackyl makes for softails but there were two problems. First off the 2" piece was too short to move the headlight out any measurable distance, second off the large hole in the tank lift is not large enough for the stud that comes out of the headlight. It is a 3/4 nut that goes on the stud, but I don't know how big the stud itself. is. I am not familiar with measurments of this variety. I will try to meaure it, but what I am asking is if you can fab up something for me. I will gladly pay you for yolur work. I guess it needs to be about 3 1/2" to 4" long and have two holes in it, one for the headlight stud and on for another bolt to hold it to the headlight mount. Seems pretty simple to me. I will try to draw it out if you are interested in making something like this. If not, thanks anyway and have a great day.
What year Sporty are we talkin about here?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:22 PM
anubisss
Banned

It's 2005.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I had an 05 Sporty and I still have the service Manual. I was lookin' at the setup and it seems do-able.
I'll have to run down to my dealer and take some measurements and see what I can come up with. How far up and out from the stock position do you want to move it?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
anubisss
Banned

I'll let you be the judge. Kinda like yours on the dyna so you can see it from the side. She also has a tool bag under it so up a bit...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I'm on it! I'll let you know what I come up with.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 PM
anubisss
Banned

Nice. Don't forget to let me know the costs involved as I'll cover them. You rule...[8D]

Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 AM
shoptroll
Banned

It's 1:30 am here. I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up and came out to turn off the computer I jumped on to check this thread and I'm wondering what the heck you're doin up this late too? Then I remembered the time zones!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I got the dimensions that I need. Is the Sporty a custom or standard? Meaning, is the headlight mounted to the lower tree or attached to an "eyebrow" on the top tree ?

Quick Reply: Shoptroll, need your help...