General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why to take a group Riding lesson

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:02 AM
Donnylee
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Why to take a group Riding lesson

I am sad to report that we had an accident reported this morning involving a group of bikes. There are certain rules you follow when riding in a group, and this guy broke one of them...

My call is if you are new at this and have not taken a group riding class, or you do not know and understand the group rules, please consider taking a AMA Group Ride class. This should not have happenned but it did..... There is no reason to risk everyone else in our own hobby. We have enough outside dangers...... Just food for thought that maybe someone else can avoid this kind of sheit.

http://www.kptv.com/news/14288946/detail.html

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:12 AM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Default RE: Why to take a group Riding lesson

Sorry to hear that, I hope they all make it back without any lasting injuries.....
What was this guy thinking trying to merge in.

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:33 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I ride 2x2 quite a bit with the PGR and have seen some scary stuff from "expert" riders. Some of it is ego, some of it is inexperience. The bottom line is most all of it is preventable. Take a class or ride with friends and practice.

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:54 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I don't like group riding. Too much rests on the qualifications and capabilities of other people that too often you know nothing about.

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:01 AM
SMSgt B
Road Master

Sorry to read this and sure hope everyone involved comes out ok. For me, you must know who you are riding with when it comes to group rides. I know exactly how they ride and what to except. When riding with new groups, I find out how they ride and their rules when it comes to group riding since each group rides in different ways. Found this if anyone is interested

Group Riding rules

V/r

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:02 AM
bosnmate
Banned

I guess the group riding class would be ok. I have found that each "regular" riding group has its own dynamics and the rules vary a little from group to group. The Ride Captain of the group should hold a safety briefing with the entire group detailing the do's and don'ts of the group.

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:13 AM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

This did not happen because the guy violated some "group riding rules" that he didn't understand... This happened because the guy violated some rules of "COMMON SENSE"!!![:@]

Who the heck would be so foolish as to integrate into the middle of a moving pack (of anything that's moving) instead of sliding in to a position at the back where there would be no interactive dynamics involved!!!

Hmmm... I guess someone like this guy would!!! I've only ridden in PGR groups, and that can be nerve-rattling enough!

I got out of bicycle racing in the early 70's when it's popularity was bringing out a lot of inexperienced cyclists. Scary!

Jim aka kiltiemon (Inexperienced enough, myself, to fully comprehend the danger of inexperience!!!)

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:25 AM
Redmondp
Tourer

So, Patrick, get the **** off your bike before you kill someone. You just about made it happen here.

Old 10-08-2007 | 12:31 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain

He didn't have common sense -

I saw it happen back in August - cutting in happenedon asix lane highway (I-40) down in Knoxville this summer - our group (17 bikes on the freeway) were heading over to the HOG event and three crazies jammed into the middle of the pack - no fun with the scrambiling going on at 70 miles an hour. All made it safe, but it was unsafe!

Common sense folks - and yes experience to boot!

Old 10-08-2007 | 12:54 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

I don't like group riding. Too much rests on the qualifications and capabilities of other people that too often you know nothing about.
I agree. Have rode in a couple of MDA charity runs and have seen 2 accidents happen in front of me. No thanks.

Quick Reply: Why to take a group Riding lesson