General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Bike Left Handed or Right Handed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM
NiteRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is your Bike Left Handed or Right Handed?

A small group of four bike went on a ride to this awesome Waterfalls in our State. Pretty much everything about the trip is top rate. The scenic views are very cool if you're not in a hurry to get there because the preferred route is the country backroads complete with Farms, Cows, Horses a couple of Old Barns that would make a great shot for those camera buff types and you find yourself passing a lot of Bikers along the way. Then once you get there, you're at this place where the Falls is something you can look at for hours and not get tired. Of course the road is winding but in good condition ntl. So along the way, we stopped to buy some water & stretch our legs (which is about half way). One of the friends who just bought his first bike and a very nice one at that (Road King Classic) asked me if I had trouble leaning into the Left Turns more than the Right Turns?

He said when he is leaning Left, it feels uncomfortable to him but when he's leaning Right, it seems natural. Being the wise guy I sometimes am, I asked if they sold him a Right Handed Bike or a Left Handed Bike (?) I was waiting for the laugh from him but instead, he had this puzzled look on is face and turned to his Lady and asked her if she heard whether the Bike was a L or R? Ok so at this moment I was amazed that he took me serious but it did make me think that leaning left does seem a tad more unsettling than leaning right.

So I thought I'd ask any of you if you ever had or have this sensation or awareness when going around a curve? Do you feel leaning Left is equal in comfort and/or steadiness as when you're leaning into a right turn?

Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Default RE: Is your Bike Left Handed or Right Handed?

My bike is ampredextreous, amprixteous, heck both handed

Old 10-07-2007, 05:47 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine I thought was only left handed...until I solved the issue with the bars and replaced them with pull back bars....I had a terrible time making right (slow)tight turns due to the fact I could not reach the clutch with the old bars..............I also no that several people prefer one or the other at times......some are ok with either, I am much better now with right but my left hand slow speed can do figure 8 and almost drag the floorboards at anytime. Right figure 8 very much improved don't drag as easy as left but better now the bars are replaced...............Marty

Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm left handed and so is my bike. Right hand turns are a little more difficult for me.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Bikes are LEFT handed. You know how you see that little sign behind a semi truck that says "This truck makes WIDE right hand turns"? Same with a bike. Left hand turns are easier.
(It's the radius stupid!)
You thought you didn't need algebra HUH?!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
troglodyte
Advanced

While radius of the turn could certainly be a reason for road bikes it doesn't work for dirt bikes.

I have spent a lot more time on dirt and left handed turns are much easier for me. I thought is was due to the right foot needed to brake but it's the same for me on mountain bikes.

I'm right handed and so my left foot is leading when I jump. Maybe that's why????? Maybe due to us driving on the right side of the road and, seated to the left side of the car, we can see the road better making us feel more comfortable.

Who knows? Sounds like something the Government will give millions to for some university to do research.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you guys get to draft behind any 18 wheelers in order to save gas?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: NiteRider

A small group of four bike went on a ride to this awesome Waterfalls in our State. Pretty much everything about the trip is top rate. The scenic views are very cool if you're not in a hurry to get there because the preferred route is the country backroads complete with Farms, Cows, Horses a couple of Old Barns that would make a great shot for those camera buff types and you find yourself passing a lot of Bikers along the way. Then once you get there, you're at this place where the Falls is something you can look at for hours and not get tired. Of course the road is winding but in good condition ntl. So along the way, we stopped to buy some water & stretch our legs (which is about half way). One of the friends who just bought his first bike and a very nice one at that (Road King Classic) asked me if I had trouble leaning into the Left Turns more than the Right Turns?

He said when he is leaning Left, it feels uncomfortable to him but when he's leaning Right, it seems natural. Being the wise guy I sometimes am, I asked if they sold him a Right Handed Bike or a Left Handed Bike (?) I was waiting for the laugh from him but instead, he had this puzzled look on is face and turned to his Lady and asked her if she heard whether the Bike was a L or R? Ok so at this moment I was amazed that he took me serious but it did make me think that leaning left does seem a tad more unsettling than leaning right.

So I thought I'd ask any of you if you ever had or have this sensation or awareness when going around a curve? Do you feel leaning Left is equal in comfort and/or steadiness as when you're leaning into a right turn?
Based on your buds reaction to the left or right, I would have taken his bike keys from him and never given them back...

Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: freekdawg1200

Did you guys get to draft behind any 18 wheelers in order to save gas?
I was thinking the same thing

Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

My Ultra makes left or right turns equally well at any speeds. Oh yea for those who would wonder my arms are equal lenght also.

Quick Reply: Is your Bike Left Handed or Right Handed?