General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD - $10,000 to spend on touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to HD - $10,000 to spend on touring

ORIGINAL: Wally

Nice choice. the first thing you should do is take it to a shop and have the mechanic change out the rear cam bearing. Don't wait , do it now.
As I said in an earlier post, the rear cam bearings in ALL 99' Twin Cam engines is defective.
Some go early, some last longer, but they all will go if you drive the bike far enough.
If you wait for it,you are gambling with catastrophic engine failure. $$$$
Deal with it ASAP and enjoy.
Is this something the dealer selling me the bike should pay for? Hopefully, they will have a maintenance record of what was done on the bike and this includes it. What does it generally cost to have this work performed?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Storm 4 U
Banned

the only issue with the Evo is it can be underpowered on a big bike. you must plan to at least invest in Stage 1 if it hasn't been done...
I never found it to be underpowered at all in my 95 Road King
I love the EVO and I have that and two Twinkies in other bikes
Granted from my experience and what I have read the Twin Cam is a superior motor
keep the oil changed in a EVO engine and it will last a good long time
Only problem I am aware of is weeping cases on some early EVO engines 92-94 if I recall
The older fuel injection systems don't lend themselves to many upgrades
but if you are stretching for the bike now I can't see you do any of the mods
that would be impacted by the non Delphi fuel injection

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: murphyslaw1978

ORIGINAL: Wally

Nice choice. the first thing you should do is take it to a shop and have the mechanic change out the rear cam bearing. Don't wait , do it now.
As I said in an earlier post, the rear cam bearings in ALL 99' Twin Cam engines is defective.
Some go early, some last longer, but they all will go if you drive the bike far enough.
If you wait for it,you are gambling with catastrophic engine failure. $$$$
Deal with it ASAP and enjoy.
Is this something the dealer selling me the bike should pay for? Hopefully, they will have a maintenance record of what was done on the bike and this includes it. What does it generally cost to have this work performed?
In true HD fashion, the Motor Company never issued a recall. What they did was fix it for free, no matter how bad the damage was, if it went before 5 years or 80,000 miles.
Way less expensive for HD to do it this way, when you take out the bikes that weren't ridden much like this one, the ones that had big bore kits installed by the dealer (since they were in there anyways, they would change the bearings) and the bikes with aftermarket mods that voided the warranty anyways and normally changed the bearings at that time as well.
It is imperative that you nail down wether or not you're has been done. Maybe you can get the dealer to do it for free. If they try to tell you it's fine, it only happened to some, they are full of it. It only happened to the ones that were ridden far enough, they will all go and it won't be pretty.
If they don't have any idea what you are talking about, they are lying to you. Any dealership selling Harleys has a clear understanding of the rear cam bearing problem.
For more info read this https://www.hdforums.com/m_148121/tm.htm
And let us know how you make out.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
murphyslaw1978
Cruiser

I asked the Dealer about the cam bearing, and the service record. They said that all scheduled maintenance was performed on time, but they could not find where the bearing was replaced. So in order to get rid of this bike, and to seal the deal, they agreed to perform the update free of charge for parts & labor, including a fluids change.

That sealed the deal for me. I agreed to have the work performed over the winter, since I will also be putting on a backrest and tach as well. They are also storing the bike for free over the winter.

I'd say this forum saved me at least $500 or as much as $1000 on the purchase of this bike!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Good deal. You would have really been rolling the dice if you hadn't talked to them about the bearing issue. And if you're buying the bike to tour on, that peace of mind is worth a lot.
This forum really is great, isn't it?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations murphyslaw1978, glad to here you got what you wanted within your budget. Also glad you new found knowledge helped you get a willing dealer to make the bike right for you. With the cam bearing issue out of the way you should have no problems with that scoot. Now you just gotta wait for that Chicago winter to get here & pass. Ride Safe.
Rini

Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope the fact that they are going to instal a backrest and a tach over the winter, doesn't mean you aren't going to ride it til spring?
Saturday it's going to be beautiful in Chicago!
You gotta ride it before the snow flyes.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 PM
SLC Rider
Advanced

ORIGINAL: whaap

The biggest problem with buying the Yamaha is that every time you see a Harley on the street you will still turn your head and look at it with regret. It doesn't matter what you want, get it or you will end up regreting it.
I agree with this statement. When I was looking to buy a touring bike I almost pulled the trigger on the Yamaha. I could have bought a brand new one for less than I paid for my used Harley. Luckily my wife told me I would never be happy on anything other than a Harley and I would regret it everytime we went out on a ride and passed a Harley......she was right. I have never regretted buying my 94 EGlide.

As far as Evo's go, I personally believe they are the best motor ever produced by Harley. Extremely reliable and will last a long long time if cared for. They are very easy to work on as well if you do all your own wrenching.

The other thing to consider, your Harley will hold its value better than a Yamaha although I wouldn't be too concerned about that since if you are like me you will not get rid of it.