General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD - $10,000 to spend on touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: New to HD - $10,000 to spend on touring

the only issue with the Evo is it can be underpowered on a big bike. you must plan to at least invest in Stage 1 if it hasn't been done...

Old 10-07-2007, 08:37 AM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just traded in my 01 heritage for an 05 e glide standard they were asking 10,900for the e glide it had 69 k on the clock but ive seen several of the twin cams with well over 100k on them so you can find a good deal just keep looking

Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rininhoj

Agree with pococj. The MM FI while not really problematic, was known to be finicky & does not respond well to upgrades. The Evo on the other hand, probably the longest lastingengine the MoCo ever built. There were some things that could have been done better one it, ie. O-rings @ cylinder base instead of compression gasket, support the rocker shafts in the head not in a cover. But for the most part with proper oil changes many of these engineswill go over 100k stock. If I were on your budget I would look for a '98-'99 Evo RoadKing, Electra or RoadGlide with a carb. Don't be afraid to go earlier. The Evo is a great engine.
Rini
Just to clarify, in 99' the touring bikes switched to Twin Cam. You won't find 99' touring bikes with Evolution engines and the ones you will find may have issues with rear cam bearings.
If you do find a 99' in your price range the Rear Cam Bearing issue will have to be addressed if it hasn't been already. Virtually all 99' Twin Cam engines will eventually fail (big time) if this is not looked after.
That being said the Magnetti Marrelli fuel injection will work fine on bikes that haven't been too heavily modified. Your alright here with breather and pipes, beyond that they tend to be a little finicky.
That being said, the Evolution engines are very durable and there are lots of them out there.
Watch the prices on eBay and you will see a trend developing towards much lower prices on some real nice bikes.
How much is stuff worth?
WhatI do is work backwards.
For example, a Black 2008 Roadking with a 96" fuelinjected engine and a 6 speed transmission lists at $17,595 US.
Knowing that what would be fair for a $2007?
Earlier Twin Cam bikeswould be worth less again.
Don't pay much for extra chrome, it's generally not going to make a used bike worth more.
Keep a close eye on the online used bike market, especially the ones that show you what people are willing to pay.
There are lots off dreamers out there asking prices that just aren't realistic.
Don't pay the same price for an evolution bike as you can buy a Twin Cam for.
The fall and early winter are great times to buy and this year with the way things are going (surplus bikes, poor economy) you should be able to find a nice unit in your price range.
And, don't be afraid to ask for opinions here.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

In August I just bought a mint 2002 Road King with 6k miles for $12k. I believe I paid about 1k too much, but the bike was EXACTLY what I wanted down to the last detail. There is a 03 RK for sale locally with 17k miles for 11k, I'm sure he'd take $10k. An 03 Fatboy with thousands of dollars of extras and 2 thousand miles just sold locally for $8500. You should not have any problem getting a nice touring bike for 10k nowadays. As for the M/M fuel injection; it's a decent setup and still supported by the dealerships but in a few more years I'm sure it will get harder to fix if it breaks down. But breakdowns should be rare. Late model Evo's are great engines and are just as strong as the TC. I would recommend looking for a 97 or 98 touring bike with carb. It should be easy to find a mint one with low miles for 10k.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Go carb and you won't have to deal withFI issues later on. The CV carb is bullet-proof! I don't think you should have any problem finding a carbed Twin-Cam in your price range. With the winter coming, it is a buyers market. I recently bought an 05 FLHT withover 10k$ worth of modifications for less than the price of a new07 FLHT.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Met a guy at a local dealer through the salesman there.
Gotten to know him better and found out he'd bought his '01 Road King for 11,500 from the dealer.
He just bought it earlier this year.
The bike is in GREAT condition, still looks new, AND the best part...it only had 1200 miles(you read right, not 12k, but 1200) on it when he bought it.
If he could find a deal like that at a dealer, you can very likely find a similar deal through a private seller.

$10k for a touring bike is VERY realistic.
Don't listen to anyone telling you any different...
...it's not like your trying to find a 2007 bagger for $10k.
If you are ok with something a few year old, less than 15k on the odometer $10k price-tags are out there.

You just have to be patient and look for that deal.
This is a good time of year for good deals onused Harleys.

Keep looking and good luck.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I found in Illinois the dealers have to collect sales tax on used bikes-around 8%. If you buy from an individual, no sales tax. It's very fair to the dealers, but it makes it possible to get a great deal from an individual. It's just something to look into as different states have different regs regarding this. Some states call it a 'road use tax' due at registration.....

Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally,
Thanks for the date correction. Hate to leave bad info out there.
Rini

Old 10-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: R1Geezrglide

I found in Illinois the dealers have to collect sales tax on used bikes-around 8%. If you buy from an individual, no sales tax. It's very fair to the dealers, but it makes it possible to get a great deal from an individual. It's just something to look into as different states have different regs regarding this. Some states call it a 'road use tax' due at registration.....
Some states (Texas for one) make you pay the sales tax when you register the vehicle, or show a receipt that you paid the taxes prior to registering it. In Illinois you're supposed to send the sales tax to the department of revenue, but I don't know that they track it that close. In other words, yes, you may get away with not paying sales tax on a private sale, but it is not strictly legal. Sorta like you're supposed to pay income tax on the profit you make if you sell something, but a lot of people (most?) don't report that income.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
cst010
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: murphyslaw1978

... My max budget is $10k for a touring bike. . ..
Shame your so far away. `96 EGlide Standard for sale just down the road with 35K for $8200.00--at least it was still for sale last week.

Quick Reply: New to HD - $10,000 to spend on touring