General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Buying a Harley

accually do not have cash if buying new you can negotiate better if financing.( plus then you can pay it off but wait 90 days if the dealer did you well) If buying used from Private owner then have Cash then get creative. also some harley dealers will try to sell there used asap and normally with very little profit because it cost money to have on floor plan especailly certain times of the year but that varies. also with a good dealer they would have thorouly gone through it to make sure its reliable.(most times) good luck
ORIGINAL: themensh

Have CASH.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

accually do not have cash if buying new you can negotiate better if financing.( plus then you can pay it off but wait 90 days if the dealer did you well) If buying used from Private owner then have Cash then get creative. also some harley dealers will try to sell there used asap and normally with very little profit because it cost money to have on floor plan especailly certain times of the year but that varies. also with a good dealer they would have thorouly gone through it to make sure its reliable.(most times) good luck
ORIGINAL: themensh

Have CASH.
I agree here. Even if you have the cash to buy from a dealer. Don't. You can usually work a better deal if they believe you are going to finance the bike for X number of years. They are making money on the finance charges, and are more likely to "cut" you a deal, figuring they will make it up in finance charges. Then pay the bike off after the first payment.

However, if you are going to finance. Sometimes waiting until off peak (winter) will work best. I would suggest buying after the holiday's, as some are bought as a gift (and the dealer's know this, and are less likely to deal). But, get the deal done by Feburary, IMO. Do not be afraid to shop around. The internet is great for this. Where I live there is only one local dealer, and the next closest is in Santa Fe (44 miles away). The family and I take a lot of long weekend trips, so when I was shopping, I went all over to look at bikes. I found out quickly that having only one dealer around is not good if you wish to get a deal. Also, for some reason, the larger dealer's seem to not want to deal as much. I figure since they are bigger, they know they will get their money from someone. I went down to Barnett's, in El Paso, and found that they are NOT one's to deal (as they are a larger dealer), for example.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An 07 right now

Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

now, getting cheaper every day.......