General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got our brand new bike today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Twohulabears
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got our brand new bike today!!!

This morning we went down to Latus Harley Davidson to test ride a couple bikes, because we couldn't make up our mind if we wanted the 06 Street Glide or an 06 Road King Custom. First I rode the Street Glide. Nice looking bike, rode very smooth, and the stereo sounded great (but I quickly turned it off when I started riding). This is a cool bike, but it felt VERY wrong having that fairing in front of me. Then I tested a Road King Custom. Beautiful bike, rode very smooth, and sounded GREAT with the Rineharts. One thing I didn't like about the RK Custom was that I felt like I was on top of the bike, not riding in it. As I was getting done riding the RK Custom, I was wondering which I was going to suggest to my wife we buy. The thing was, they both felt more like I was riding a sled on smooth ice instead of a riding a motorcycle down the road. While I could see that they were very good bikes, niether put a smile on my face. So, when I walked into the dealer, I said "it is up to you, dear! Which ever one you feel more comfortable on is fine with me!" (I had a blast on our last bike an 03 Sportster, but I know it wasn't a very comfy ride for the wife. So, this bike she gets to pick out based on what will make her happy because I knew I would be happy with whatever made her happy.) Then she said, "have you seen this one over here? it looks like the first bike we had (15 years ago an 86 blue Honda Rebel) all grown up! You should take this for a ride!" It was an 06 Wide Glide. I got on it and said, "why not, the test ride is free!" So, I drove it out of the parking lot, out onto the open road, and WOW! This bike felt so right! This bike put a HUGE smile on my face!! I loved everything about it especially the VERY smooth shifting tranny!!! As I was riding back to the shop, I remembered that I wanted my wife to be happy. So, I said to her that the ride was great, but I think she would like the ride of one of the touring bikes better. She looked a little disappointed and the salesman saw that. So he said, "why don't you have her hop on and take her out for a ride?" She said "sounds good" and went and got her gear out of the car. We went on the ride and while I LOVED it, I was sure she wasn't going to like it. We got back to the shop, and she had a HUGE smile on her face! She said, "do you like this bike?" I said, "sure, but whatever you want is what we are getting." She said, "then this is our bike!" After spending a couple hours figuring out what I wanted to do to this bike because I hadn't planned on getting a WG, we signed the papers and took it home! We got it for MSRP + frieght and 20% off parts and labor of add ons. I took it home stock and will have the extras put on at 1000 miles, so it will kinda seem like I got another new bike. We ordered V&H Big Radius pipes, Stage 1 kit, SERT and 180 tire kit. We also got some other chrome to add to the WG. Just got her home and here is a pic below, of our new 06 Wide Glide! This has to be the best birthday that I have EVER had!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2565/7B7D531A9C784FF6854019F6646A4E8F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
JeffD
Tourer
Default RE: Got our brand new bike today!!!

My Dad has a 04 Wide Glide, and bought it because it reminded him of the bikes in his past.

VERY nice choice on the color of your WG.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:48 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

...........I took it home stock and will have the extras put on at 1000 miles, so it will kinda seem like I got another new bike. We ordered V&H Big Radius pipes, Stage 1 kit, SERT and 180 tire kit. We also got some other chrome to add to the WG. Just got her home and here is a pic below, of our new 06 Wide Glide! This has to be the best birthday that I have EVER had!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2565/7B7D531A9C784FF6854019F6646A4E8F.jpg[/IMG]
Congrats!! The '06 DWG is a great bike. I've got one myself and I love it. They sure are a sweet ride, huh? I love that 6-speed too. Buttery smooth. It only gets better ... each time I ride mine, the smile is bigger.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 PM
jhampshire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Dyna world. I shouldn't be surprised that female passengers enjoy being seen on a great looking bike. Your lady will look good on that ride!

Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a fun day. Congrats to you both. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Sweet looking bike and great story. Glad to hear you're going with the Sert. It will run as sweet as it looks

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great bike. Big of you to let her decide on the bike. Sounds like it all worked out!

Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new bike, it sure is beautiful. Funny how things work out.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

great choice of bikes, congrats and enjoy

Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

I recently bought a Wide Glide. My friends tell me I like it because it looks a lot like my first bike (which I still have)- an 87 Honda Rebel. They look great side by side in the garage! I felt the same way about the Wide Glide looking like a grown up Rebel. It's hard not to love the look of the 85-87 Rebels. Here are a couple of shots of my Rebel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5489/297133B2AFE0483D81E849A014DFA9E5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5489/E97B457B0BB64A7B832EACA38A6B0F84.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Got our brand new bike today!!!