General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dangers of riding a bike!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 AM
theSpartan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dangers of riding a bike!?

I intend to buy a Harley but i sometimes worry about the dangers someone is exposed to when he/she is on two weels. I know that worrying too much maybe isnt good and i have got responses like "if you worry then you wonnt enjoy riding a bike" but when it comes to health i think that everyone should be concered and take it lightly. I had friends that had accidents with bikes, well most of them were they faults because they were riding really really fast, but there are always cases where drivers dont bother to stop at a STOP sign or look left or right to see if there is biker around.

I am going to buy a Harley anyway (Super Glide ) but i cant say that i am not think that its a risk i am taking...

Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Default RE: The dangers of riding a bike!?

Waking up is dangerous too.
You could die at anytime, anywhere doing anything. While riding might be related to a high risk activity, you cant run your life by worrying about it.
The most important thing is to be alert, ride smart and treat everyone equal. I/E like they intend to run you over, pull out in front of you,cut you off, don't see you and could care less about you.
That will help you to stay safer.I would also advise you to take a riding course. Ride a bike that's within your ability to handle and never let your guard down. EVER. I always expect them to do the unexpected. If they look like there going to, they probably will. JMO - Enjoy.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Iron Maiden
Advanced

People tend to worry about things they don't understand ... there's risks with everything we do. Learn to mitigate your risks. Try this ... http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot.../dp/1889540536

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

No Guts No Glory! Jrsess

Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 AM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a solid self-preservation instinct, nothing wrong with being paranoid and worried on the bike. From my exp and what others have said you go through 3 phases, the first 5k miles or so you are dangerous to yourself and everyone else, the next 5k you are still dangerous but don't think you are and after 10k you have a minimal level of exp on enough types of surfaces, traffic, and weather to keep you alive. You have to stay alert, no daydreaming on a bike the way people do in a cage. I know this is a HD forum but if you are not SURE you are going to get a bike and stick to it then go get a cheaper metric first. No sense in spending this kind of money, putting 500 miles on a bike in 2 years and then selling it for a big loss.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:36 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: theSpartan

I intend to buy a Harley but i sometimes worry about the dangers someone is exposed to when he/she is on two weels. I know that worrying too much maybe isnt good and i have got responses like "if you worry then you wonnt enjoy riding a bike" but when it comes to health i think that everyone should be concered and take it lightly. I had friends that had accidents with bikes, well most of them were they faults because they were riding really really fast, but there are always cases where drivers dont bother to stop at a STOP sign or look left or right to see if there is biker around.

I am going to buy a Harley anyway (Super Glide ) but i cant say that i am not think that its a risk i am taking...
Most endeavours that give one a feeling of excitement, exhillaration, freedom, etc......typically have an element of DANGER involved.....Its just the way it is i suppose. You will never be able to take ALL of the risk outta ANYTHING in this life......Although you can certainly help REDUCE risk in most things in life....eating right, getting rest, not smoking,drinkin in moderation,driving the speed limit, increasing skill level, taking classes, wearing proper clothing, keeping ones machines in proper working order, etc etc etc....All of these things can help REDUCE ones risk of all kinds of bad things from happening......

Its my opinion the most DANGEROUS thing is simply not doing ANYTHING for fear of being hurt.....As far as risk in cycling, My 30 + years have taught me to NEVER assume the other person actually SEE'S you.....And this includes the person behind you as you are fixin to slow down and stop at a redlight or stop sign......ALWAYS check your six as you are slowing down, and make damn sure that person in the cage behind you is paying attention, and NEVER look in any one place too long, because the person infront of you may just slam on their brakes as you are looking at the cows or some hot chick in the next lane.......Then suddenly.....WHAMO !!! Keep your head on a swivel, and check your surroundings and spacing etc....This will become second nature to you after some experience, and you will be able to stay relaxed as you are cruising along......Do your best to keep the ODDS in your favor bro.....And enjoy your time on this earth..

Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Like all the other's have said, anything can be dangerous. It is also true that you can be the best rider around, but that mini van doesn't see you. It happens. I, for one, find the pleasure I get from riding outweigh the risk it is. I am a firm believer in when it is your time to die, you are going to. Whether it is on a bike, or eating your morning breakfast. I had a very similar discussion with a guy at work yesterday. We were talking about sky diving. I had gone on a jump several years ago, and enjoyed it. He just could not understand why anyone would take the risk. I told him that if you let your fear run your life, you are going to miss out on a lot of things. He came back with that were still a lot of things he wanted to do with his life and is afraid of dying. I can understand that, but I have no fear of death. It will happen, eventually. Why worry about what you may not have any control over?

The only thing I could suggest is take a few riders courses. Practice, a lot. And be ever vigilant of your surroundings. BTW, that same buddy of mine is looking to buy a motorcycle... LOL.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

if you have'rnt been around that much or road that much . i would havta agree buy your self something else.but the next time you slip on the ice you could have died .there is no such thing as being safe no matter what you do .

Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You should feel better after you get some time under your belt.You can truly enjoy the sport provided you can relax a little.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 AM
Crusing
Road Captain

As with so many things in life it is a risk verses reward decision. It is good that you are considering this with your eyes open. As others have pointed out many of the things we have to do on a daily basis have a degree of risk. All risk can be mitigated, but not eliminated and such as the case here. I feel sure that there are a lot of folks who have made the decision not to ride because of the risk involved, but without taking the risk you can not enjoy the reward. My recommendation is take a MSF riding class, get your license, rent a bike for a while, and then decide if this is something you want to pursue further.

Quick Reply: The dangers of riding a bike!?