General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dangers of riding a bike!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: The dangers of riding a bike!?

Do the following to elay your concerns

Basic MSF course
Kick start courses (MSF also)
RRC (MSF)

Join the local HOG group and practice with the skills teams, you will learn a lot and build confidence.

Ride like a pro course is also good, watch the various dvd's and the danger will be greatly mitigated.

End of the day there are a lot of jackasses out on the road all you can do is mitigate your exposure or live in a box afraid to leave the house. Your days are literally numbered so you have to decide if you want to enjoy them of live in fear.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Rodney1976
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with having a little healthy fear. It will help keep you focused.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:45 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

harley or no harley is not the question. its motorcycle or no motorcycle.

I have been riding off and on for 35 years. had a couple accidents, so far nothing major knock on wood. cut my teeth on dirtbikes which I think is a good experience for anyone who rides.

Last year my cousin who was 53 died in his bed from a heart attack. 6 months before that my uncle died from cancer. Another friend of mine dropped dead in his kitchen from an annurism. You can live your life in a protective bubble and still end up dead from something.

I think about the risks of riding once in a while, but I tell ya, I would not trade the feeling of freedom, the friends I have made, or the experiences and memories I have from biketrips for all the airbags and seatbelts in the world.

The key is to continously work at improving your riding skills, so WHEN you need to rely on that skill to get you out of a jam, you are prepared. I know people who have been riding motorcycles for 10 years, but they are still NEW riders because they have not improved their skills beyond the beginner level.

I read something somewhere one time that I passed onto my wife when she started riding her own bike a couple years ago... you start with a full bucket of luck, and an empty bucket of experience. The key to riding a motorcycle is to fill the bucket of experience before you empty the bucket of luck... my wife sorta laughed at me when I told her that, until she came home one day after riding to work and someone pulled right out in front of her... she was able to cover the brakes and control the bike to get out of what could have been a bad situation... now she understands what I was talking about.

In the end, you have to decide what is right for you. If not a bike, then get a convertible and enjoy the wind that way.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Limo57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto what PapaTravis said...

Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could slip and fall taking a shower, what are you gonna do, stink?
When your number comes up, I don't think it'll matter where you are.

I NEVER rode a motorcycle before this year.( I turned 50 this year) Being a bit of a non conformist, I bought an 07 Ultra Clssic as my first bike. I love it. I would say to definately get some instruction. I took the MSF basic rider course, bought Ride like a pro IV and Learn to ride the easy way, and read "Proficient Motorcycling".

Already, I find that I notice much more while riding. It's like my senses are more awake while on the bike.
I have easily avoided trouble on more than one occasion because of this.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Other than death and disfigurement, there aren't too many dangers to riding a bike so don't get wrapped up in it.If you're not willing to take the risk, you'll not experience the exhilaration of riding. My view is this: If youhave to die from something, why not die from something you like?

Seriously, you have the right attitude: "I sometimes worry about the dangers..." That's healthy, you should sometimes worry about it. On the other hand, it doesn't look like it's going to cripple you: "I'm going to buy a Harley anyway..."

Have fun!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM
smudge
Tourer

ORIGINAL: steveh326

harley or no harley is not the question. its motorcycle or no motorcycle.

I have been riding off and on for 35 years. had a couple accidents, so far nothing major knock on wood. cut my teeth on dirtbikes which I think is a good experience for anyone who rides.

Last year my cousin who was 53 died in his bed from a heart attack. 6 months before that my uncle died from cancer. Another friend of mine dropped dead in his kitchen from an annurism. You can live your life in a protective bubble and still end up dead from something.

I think about the risks of riding once in a while, but I tell ya, I would not trade the feeling of freedom, the friends I have made, or the experiences and memories I have from biketrips for all the airbags and seatbelts in the world.

The key is to continously work at improving your riding skills, so WHEN you need to rely on that skill to get you out of a jam, you are prepared. I know people who have been riding motorcycles for 10 years, but they are still NEW riders because they have not improved their skills beyond the beginner level.

I read something somewhere one time that I passed onto my wife when she started riding her own bike a couple years ago... you start with a full bucket of luck, and an empty bucket of experience. The key to riding a motorcycle is to fill the bucket of experience before you empty the bucket of luck... my wife sorta laughed at me when I told her that, until she came home one day after riding to work and someone pulled right out in front of her... she was able to cover the brakes and control the bike to get out of what could have been a bad situation... now she understands what I was talking about.

In the end, you have to decide what is right for you. If not a bike, then get a convertible and enjoy the wind that way.
What he said!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What?

Bikes are dangerous?

Holy CRAP! Why didn't someone tell me??

That's it...I'm selling mine!

03 sporty...CHEAP!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I feel sorry for people that live in fear of almost everything. Just watching the news or drug advertisements makes them go for the prozac.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can think of worse deaths other than leaving this world in a ball of flames while riding your Harley.

Quick Reply: The dangers of riding a bike!?