General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver, CO is slapping $500 fines on loud pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 AM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Denver, CO is slapping $500 fines on loud pipes...

Here is the information on one guy trying to fight a loud pipe ticket.

http://colorado-coc.com/issues.htm

Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That particular story said that Denver was not going to be using dB meter guns (like RADAR guns) because they were too costly. Because of that, you were only likely to be pulled over if you were perceived to be blatantly over the threshold. It was described similar to how you don't normally get pulled over for doing 60/55 but certainly you would if you were going 75/55.

Obviously the perception issue leaves discretion up to the officer on the street. That creates discussion about whether or not certain types of bikes would be "targeted" and also how well violations can be prosecuted if the burden of proof surrounds a unique perception by an officer. Loud to a former Artillery Sergeant might be different than a former librarian if both become cops.

The EPA markings on the exhaust are supposed to be a stamp or other marking which signifies that the exhaust meets requirements that state it should not produce noise over 80-something dB.

These aren't necessarily new laws. Many states have similar noise ordinances. Others have said it. Just ride smart.

While we're on the subject, what's with blipping the throttle repeatedly at stoplights? Nervous twitch? Is your bike going to stall? Just like wasting fuel? It’s not just Harley riders either. Sporties do it too - they just rev higher RPMs. It is one of those things that are not required for normal motorcycle operation but DOES have a negative impact to non-riders. Parting thought on that one: It’s annoying and does perpetuate support for these types of ordinances.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Regardless of the "cost" of the DB meteres how could one get an accurate reading of the sound while on the shoulder of the interstate? There are several strict measurements and a lot of restrictions on any objects that would interfere with sound waves. I would thinkbarriers/walls in the area (overpasses) on/off ramps etc would cause a problem. this link had some tests and even the stock bike would be over the bd level. http://www.bikernet.com/news/PageViewer.asp?PageID=902

Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how it works, as compared to how it's supposed to work.

1. In every town, they always say that they'll only ticket bikes that draw attention to themselves - riding stupid, open drag pipes, revving at a stop light, etc. Generally showing theira$$. I got a ticket for having a bike that was too loud in my garage. No, I did not make that up.

2. All stock pipes have a bunch of letters stamped on them. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. That's the EPA stamp everyone is talking about. If you don't have that stamp, you're guilty. Period.

3. The city of Denver is targeting bikes. It's about the bikes and not the noise. There is a general noise ordinance there, just like every other town. The way the law is written there, in order for a cop to cite your car or truck, they have to actually measure the sound emissions withcalibrated meter. Not so with bikes. It's at the LEO's discretion. If the LEO decides to stop you and give you a ticket, he can. Doesn't have to prove anything. By changing the law this way, and specifically for motorcycles, the city is telling the PD to target bikes. It's also a good excuse for a stop and search. Makes probable cause easier to prove. Again, targeting bikers.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

I will certainly hope Wade can take them down on this. Certainly will have alot to do with the type ofJudge that looks at thisI think.

I applaud the citizen for spending the coin to get his lawyer involved in this. I agree nervous wrist ridersneed to knock it off....But that said, I fully agree its a double standard on noise laws and this one needs to be scrapped. To many other sources of noise without enforced guidelines and it is discriminatory as written at its face.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:22 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

What happens if I ride my outside of the US model HD thru Colorado? There ain't no epa sticker on my stockers that i've been able to find.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have nothing to worry about...I've ridden through downtown Denver atLEAST a dozen times w/ my baffled V&H Straights (sat at a red light once right beside a LEO...yeah I was nervous)...no problems.
ORIGINAL: FatTony

What happens if I ride my outside of the US model HD thru Colorado? There ain't no epa sticker on my stockers that i've been able to find.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:06 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

And, If anyone paid attention to the police spokesperson, it was made plain that the issue was to stop the noise, not just harrass bikers. The lady said that the police were going to be targeting motorcycles that brought attention to themselves by making noise. Ie. cracking throttles, riding loud in downtown areas and residential areas, and trying to set off car alarms.

Another person on this forum also sent a letter or E-Mail to the Denver Police Department and got a similar response. The Denver PD does not seem to be planning to make random stops for pipe checks. They will be targeting people who act stupid and bring attention to themselves.

If you don't want a 500.00 ticket, just don't ride like an idiot. Even with loud pipes you don't have to be loud unless you want to be.

Bill
You sir are 110% correct!!!!!

2. All stock pipes have a bunch of letters stamped on them. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. That's the EPA stamp everyone is talking about. If you don't have that stamp, you're guilty. Period. "

Just because your guilty dont mean your getting a ticket........in my book!

I have a perfectly good set of number punches, and can easily make up my very own "EPA" stamp. Or even better.......buy a set of compliant pipes and remove the original baffle(s) and replace them with a set of Thunder Monster baffels......or just cut your original ones down to about half their original length. For every law that these idiots pass, there are ten ways to skirt them.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:59 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want a 500.00 ticket, just don't ride like an idiot. Even with loud pipes you don't have to be loud unless you want to be.

Bill

You sir are 110% correct!!!!!

---------------------------------

You are correct in theory. You are not correct in practice.

The LEO that wrote me a noise ticket stated (and I quote), "I heard you start it up and I knew it was too loud. So I came looking for you."

The bike was a '97 Evo with a turbocharger and a baffled pipe.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

Heard that one in another post, Daytona's been doing the same thing for at least 3 years now. Not sure if the fine is as high, but I've seen lots of folks getting tickets on Main st.
I live in the Daytona Beach area.....and cops do not hassle you. BUT........
if you sit in Bike week gridlock and rev your engine like 'you know who' does....you might get a ticket. If you REV your engine at a red light just to make noise.....you might draw attention.
I have Hooker pipes on my bike...and think they are louder than normal, but at idle
at a light? Nah....so far, so good.
Believe me....cops have more to do thanwrite loud pipe citations.. I would say if you get one in Daytona, you probably deserveed it.
Anf the crack down on noisy bikes? We have brought it upon ourselves.

Chuck