General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding one handed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 AM
chaleau
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding one handed

I do it, too. Although, the paranoid side of me makes me use both hands if there is traffic or the road sucks. Wifey's leg is an excellent source of blood circulation when the hand goes numb.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 AM
NightBob
Advanced

I do this every once in a while. Especially on a long ride, I just need to take my hand off of the grips.I agree that it's a bad habit.

I realize, that when I do it, I give up some control over the bike. So, I don't do it for very long. Or in traffic.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is it that I can be comfortable riding a bicycle with no hands, but I'm scared to death of doing it on a motorcycle? Don't think I'll every try it.

To answer your question, yes I'll occasionally take my left hand off the grip.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Have always ridden that way,it gives the shoulders a break.How about riding with no hands,Do that too!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,376 Likes on 6,154 Posts

Sometimes I let go with both hands and let my ***** do the steering.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: BluePotato

Why is it that I can be comfortable riding a bicycle with no hands, but I'm scared to death of doing it on a motorcycle? Don't think I'll every try it.

To answer your question, yes I'll occasionally take my left hand off the grip.
That's an easy one. You aren't going 60+ MPH on a bicycle and if you fall off you more than likely won't kill yourself and your instinctive sense of survival knows this.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: raftgyde

ORIGINAL: bosnmate

Yeah, I'm familiar. That is one of the things I miss about Michigan, straight roads. There isn't anything straight here in Georgia. But, I traded straight roads for riding all year though.
Help me understand this. You ride a motorcycle and you missstraight roads.

[align=center]
[/align]

Nope! I just ain't gettin' it.

Hard to believe I know. But believe me hills and twisties get old after a while. Sometimes you want to just go straight and fast. I've said this before, if you can ride in the Northern part of Georgia you can ride anywhere. Things that used to kick my butt when I first moved here are now easy. For example, coming to a four way stop and being on the side where you are going up hill and having to turn from a dead stop or just getting up my driveway. Now, it is simple to do. My brother-in-law came down for a visit from Michigan and the four way stops on hills kicked his butt too. Everytime he stalled I just smiled and said "See, not as easy as you think is it?"

I guess living and riding here for the last seven years has gotten me used to the twisties and hills. I guess this is the reason why I don't see the fascination with the Dragon all that much. I ride roads like that on a daily basis just to get to the interstate to go to and from work. Even the interstates here aren't straight and none of them run North/South or East/West and no matter where you are in Georgia you can't get to where you are going from where you are currently located... easily. We have curves in the interstates that have names, the famous one in Atlanta is the "Grady Curve" google Grady Curve and see what I mean.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

I do it. BUT... a word of caution. A friend of mine wrecked while doing that because he suddenly had to tap the brake and with only one hand on the bars when his weight shifted forward he dove to the right.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master

On a long trip I am always shifting around, changing riding posioions, 1 hand is not uncommon. I put my feet up un the highway pegs, and often back on the passanger pegs too (BMW Style) When a passanger is with me I like to reach around and rub her knee. If I really wanna really surprise a passanger, I will set the throttle lock, and rub one knee, then reach around with the other hand and rub both knees!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 AM
lost6009
Cruiser

All the time.

Quick Reply: Riding one handed